PDA

View Full Version : Toroidial Xformers?

Mike M
06-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Toroidial transformers are significantly lower in price than major name brand, but will I get what I pay for? I'll probably pay the extra 100 or so for a Vista or Kichler, if I get a better warrenty, unless someone here can endorse Toroidial.

Just wondering what the transformer of choice is by experienced installers.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike M
06-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Forget it, I see I get the lifetime with Kichler.

Pro-Scapes
06-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I just pulled 2 old vistas on my last job. Not sure if they are toridial or not.

All I know is every tap under load is about half a volt shy of a picnic basket with proper input voltage and the trans has 11v taps as well up to 13v.

The do have magnetic breakers. I think they are manufactured by Justin ???

Chris J
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Just so you guys know, all professional series transformers from Kichler, with the exception of the 15PR75SS are toroidial core and coil transformers.

Pro-Scapes
06-08-2007, 10:51 PM
We used the Kichler PR transformers on our last few jobs and really liked em. Been using the Cast ones in the past... That extra breaker on the bigger ones does come in real handy for balancing loads but there is a cost difference too.

Only issue I have with the Kichlers is I cant use my in trans astro timers unless I open it and flip the timer plug so I got clearance

Mike M
06-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Just so you guys know, all professional series transformers from Kichler, with the exception of the 15PR75SS are toroidial core and coil transformers.

So, I guess what you are saying is that they are good transformers, if not the same as Kichler, but I don't know if they have a lifetime warranty. I just landed a job tonight after my demo, and the wife was impressed by the manufacturer warranties I specified in my proposal.

Mike

Mike M
06-09-2007, 08:26 AM
:hammerhead:

Okay, here's where I went wrong: FOLD has "Toroidal Transformers" as the heading for a series of transformers, i.e., they are not specified by a manufacturer. I thought that was the company's name, now I see it is just the type of coil. I have a 300 watt of these for my demo set, but I don't want to install something for my clients that has no warranty or product name. Great price, though, for a demo transformer. I made a handle using a vinyl strap and a piece of flexible conduit. I just need a faster way of connecting/re-connecting the wires.

Frog Lights, LLC
06-09-2007, 09:03 AM
These are the most effecient. They run cooler and have less hummmmmm.
They are round in shape. Over all much superior to iron core.

Pro-Scapes
06-09-2007, 09:40 AM
:hammerhead:

Okay, here's where I went wrong: FOLD has "Toroidal Transformers" as the heading for a series of transformers, i.e., they are not specified by a manufacturer. I thought that was the company's name, now I see it is just the type of coil. I have a 300 watt of these for my demo set, but I don't want to install something for my clients that has no warranty or product name. Great price, though, for a demo transformer. I made a handle using a vinyl strap and a piece of flexible conduit. I just need a faster way of connecting/re-connecting the wires.

Thoes are made by pantech... Some contractors are using them with zero probs. They have a lifetime warranty thru FOLD and SOLD altho I still use the name brand ones I do have a 600w pantech for my demo kit.

For the fast connection regular line voltage plugs on the lv wires work well and are durable... We have also used the lightspeed connectors from WS DEANS company that are made for high performance RC models. The reg plugs are by far cheaper. What we did was made up about 4 lenghts of wire then put a receptical on each end then 25 ft leads on dabmar lights with plugs on the end.

Mike M
06-09-2007, 06:53 PM
What we did was made up about 4 lenghts of wire then put a receptical on each end then 25 ft leads on dabmar lights with plugs on the end.

Oh, that's perfect. Doing that. Kept losing my screwdriver last night during demo. I also want to get a headband flashlight.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike M
06-09-2007, 06:55 PM
These are the most effecient. They run cooler and have less hummmmmm.
They are round in shape. Over all much superior to iron core.

I wonder if they are cool enough/safe enough to mount directly on vinyl siding.

Pro-Scapes
06-09-2007, 07:15 PM
on homes with siding I hve chosen to post mount my transformers. Easier to plug up brick mortar if they ever remove it than it is to replace siding plus it gives you a flat surface to mount to. I think someone else on here puts pressure treated ply on the house first then mounts to it.

hmproservices
06-10-2007, 01:24 AM
When I am installing on a house with siding I post mount with a treated 4X6. I think that it makes for a cleaner install. I use all CAST so if I am doing a small install a journeyman xformer will fit perfect on the 4X6. If it is an average job with a 1200w or 1500w I bolt a couple of treated 2x12s to the post and counter sink the bolts. It gives me a sturdy mounting area and seems to work pretty well.

Mike M
06-10-2007, 08:51 AM
I have the info on the wooden posts from the Cast technical manual.

The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in going with Cast or their methods for all my work on designated areas (anything near salt walter). I could write up two proposals for each customer on all others, one with a much longer warranty, and one with a shorter warranty/service package. I still like using Kichler for variety of specialty fixtures. I also like Vista, I have two of their transformers and I like their company, but I have no inventory on a local level (I have to special order timers).

Here's why I like Cast: Selling. I can demonstrate the strength of solder, I can mention the words "marine-grade wires" (everyone here has a boat in salt water) and I can offer brass or bronze fixtures with long warrantees. I take mastercard and visa, thank you.

I bought some very nice generic brass fixtures for my demo set, only 3 problems I noticed right away: the U/L listing was taped over on the instructions, there was no company name on anything (could you blame them?), and there were no spec's. I need specification sheets to submit everything to architectural review boards (gated communities everywhere).

And here's the problem I'm realizing with variety of brands and products: unless the distributor has a big box of them, everything has to be special ordered.