PDA

View Full Version : Drought in the South East

tacoma200
06-08-2007, 03:43 PM
How is this affecting everyone? I'm getting just enough rain to keep it green and growing a little right now. But I have had to skip a few. The grass is definitely showing signs of stress. I've picked up a job or two because other LCO's were mowing five times a month during the drought and turning the grass brown.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
06-08-2007, 03:55 PM
havent mowed in two weeks, we got some scattered rain earlier this week so im gonna try to get back at it this afternoon, we still need ALOT more rain everything is brown down here

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-08-2007, 04:02 PM
It was getting bad here in southeastern Va, but had about 3.5 inches so the a lot of the brown is gone. However, it is 97 degrees today with 10-15 mph wind, with no clouds to speak of. I feel that we are getting just the minimum also, hopefully we will have some good thunderstorms today and tomorrow and get another 3 inches, that would be nice.......

TNT LawnCare Inc.
06-08-2007, 04:54 PM
We got about 5 inches last week which helped some but need more. Its supposed to thunderstorm tonight

David Hartzog
06-08-2007, 05:04 PM
it thundered yesterday afternoon,,,but not a drop. i'm down a mower so i'm kind of glad things aren't going too fast.

Fantasy Lawns
06-08-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm hoping it stays dry ... get rid of some of the rift raft around here

ed2hess
06-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Interesting....works the same way in our area..

rodfather
06-08-2007, 06:49 PM

up here we get rid of em Steve only to have new ones appear again and again :laugh:

Mike Blevins
06-08-2007, 06:55 PM
We just had the driest May on record here. We are 11 inches behind schedule for the year for rainfall. Haven't mowed in 2 1/2 weeks. But I'm like the other guys it does get rid of these fly by night lawn services. I'm seeing more and more mowers for sale in the local sale paper. We had a record March and April but May was a disaster. It don't look so good for the next week either. Maybe we will be mowing into January?

lawnmaniac883
06-08-2007, 07:06 PM
It was really bad two weeks ago but the tropical storm gave us much needed rain and has seemed to jump started our rainy season (knock on wood)

1MajorTom
06-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Still doing ok here, definitely keeping the height up as high as possible though. Getting a nice good rain for the last couple of hours, and we got rain last week too.
After today though, the forecast is showing all sun for the next 5 to 6 days which i'm sure will really dry things out again.
Matt's talked to a couple of guys that are hoping things really dry out so they can slow down. What's wrong with them? :dizzy:

General Landscaping
06-08-2007, 10:54 PM
We finally got some good soaking...... I think flyers came down with the rain:confused:

tjsquickcuts
06-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Well here in my part of Atlanta, we are thirsty, and I do mean thirsty. I have some areas that are only allowed to water once a week, and a few that aren't allowed to water any. Have one customer having a well installed. Its amazing what people will do to protect a acre and some change of Zoysia..lol...But we did get a little rain today.....I was so excited...started dancing....and how about I was maybe 3 house from being done Fertilizing when the rains came down.....Plus we get to water this weekend....I told all of my one day a week people to water for at least 1.5 hours per zone starting around 4am so they can be done by 10am which is cut off time...oh forgot to mention, we can only water from 12am to 10am on our day to water. I have one guy which I think is insane also going to water all night until 10am. Only good thing about that is I know we will have one house to maintenance next week.

CollegeCash
06-09-2007, 01:22 AM
It came a little thunderstorm here. Maybe my grass will change back to green!

Grits
06-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I thought it was going to rain like heck earlier this evening. The sky looked evil in the distance but it never made it's way here. I pray for rain. But we are still doing very well. All my residentials have irrigation and I have set a couple of them on my own "special" schedule to insure the grass looks good. Actually, I have one residential that the irrigation isn't working and she won't let me fix it. But she continues to pay in advance, even though her yard is like a desert. There is always something to be done at any property, just gotta find it and do it. The rain has to come some day.

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 01:50 AM
Well, myself I took two solid weeks off before that tropical storm came through, and I was in much better shape with my lawns than most.

It rained here on April 15th... then not a drop again until last weekend.
That tropical storm brought me 3/4 inch of rain.

It wasn't enough to help a good portion of my routes (lower elevations and south).

I mowed some this week, but it was still a short and easy week.
All except the high elevations and north sections are totally brown.

I will work a little next week, but probably not more than a few hours.