PDA

View Full Version : Spindle Swap

gibsonsg311
06-08-2007, 03:12 PM
I purchased a used Honda 48" two weeks ago and in the process of getting it ready to cut. I replaced the carb and it has been starting first pull. I ordered new spindles of the internet and they in the mail.

Now i am removing the old spindles, but I am stumped on how to pull the pulleys of the spindle assemblies. They have a keyed slot but i can't get anything to budge. I would rather pull them correctly than have a bent pulley. Here are some pics of what I am talking about. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks John

Restrorob
06-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Is that some type of cover over the right pulley standing in front of the unit ?

On the center and left side use the same two screws you took out and screw them into the other two threaded holes until snug. Then turn each one a half turn or so going back and forth, The will jack the pulley down off the center hub. Once the pulley is loose on the hub lightly drive a screw driver in the slot on the head of the hub then pull up on the hub while tapping the side and it should slide right off. It wouldn't be a bad idea to spray penetrating oil on there before starting.

gibsonsg311
06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Yes it has been soaking with liquid wrench for about 24 hours heavy sprayed.
The right cover over the spindle is like the blade brake when the blades are disengaged. Thanks for the reply