PDA

View Full Version : Biostimulant apps

lilmarvin4064
06-08-2007, 05:13 PM
does anyone do them?

I'm going to do some tests plots and if it works well, next year I'll get a new larger spray tank and do liquid apps a month apart during the summer. I'll cut out most of my summer granular apps, and be spraying some humic acids, seaweed extract, beneficial bacteria, sugars, aminos, etc. mixed with chelated iron, micros and a low-rate of propiconazole. (or anything else the customer wants, surface/sub-surface insect control, etc. I just hope it's all compatible)

anyone?

Nathan Robinson
06-08-2007, 06:12 PM
I like that idea but grass produces sugar from salt and sugar apps is not beneficial to the turf plant. It makes its own sugar. I use a similar program

lilmarvin4064
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
i believe the sugar is there to fuel the bacteria

Grassworks Inc.
06-08-2007, 07:36 PM
You got it Marvin, sugar is to feed the bacteria. Have a friend who is really into biological soil management, sprays alot of teas and corn syrup. His lawns are amazing, too bad he doesn't see the big picture and use a little weed control and preemergent. I use some of the Earthworks products in my program, really like their new Trilogy product.

mrkosar
06-09-2007, 04:28 PM
does anyone do them?

I'm going to do some tests plots and if it works well, next year I'll get a new larger spray tank and do liquid apps a month apart during the summer. I'll cut out most of my summer granular apps, and be spraying some humic acids, seaweed extract, beneficial bacteria, sugars, aminos, etc. mixed with chelated iron, micros and a low-rate of propiconazole. (or anything else the customer wants, surface/sub-surface insect control, etc. I just hope it's all compatible)

anyone?

isn't this counterproductive adding fungicides to a bio stimulant? won't the chemicals kill most of the beneficial soil life you are trying to add to the soil?

timturf
06-09-2007, 08:34 PM
You got it Marvin, sugar is to feed the bacteria. Have a friend who is really into biological soil management, sprays alot of teas and corn syrup. His lawns are amazing, too bad he doesn't see the big picture and use a little weed control and preemergent. I use some of the Earthworks products in my program, really like their new Trilogy product.

Make a great porduct

timturf
06-09-2007, 08:38 PM
I like that idea but grass produces sugar from salt and sugar apps is not beneficial to the turf plant. It makes its own sugar. I use a similar program

but grass produces sugar from salt
And where did you get this idea!

sugar apps is not beneficial to the turf plant.
Very beneficial if the carboydrate reserve is depleted!

Victor
06-09-2007, 10:54 PM
but grass produces sugar from salt
And where did you get this idea!

sugar apps is not beneficial to the turf plant.
Very beneficial if the carboydrate reserve is depleted!

I've got to tell you Tim, your knowledge of turf science boggles my mind. I'll bet you've forgotten more than anyone I've met knows about turf science!

lilmarvin4064
06-11-2007, 11:51 AM
isn't this counterproductive adding fungicides to a bio stimulant? won't the chemicals kill most of the beneficial soil life you are trying to add to the soil?

nope, it can be tank mixed with fungicides and insecticide with no problems according to the manufacturer. Research at VA tech has shown that certain triazole fungicides exhibit biostimulant properties. well, the papers I was reading didn't mention the bacteria, but they used propiconazole @ 0.5 oz/M (14% ai) in conjunction with humic acid and seaweed extract with greater effects than just HA and SE alone. They even said biostims can be tank mixed with post-emergents for greater effectiveness. The phytohormones will improve translocation in the target plants and decrease phytotoxicty in non-target plants, and in most cases herbicide rates can be cut in half! This is coming from PhDs in turfgrass physiology.

upidstay
06-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Had great luck with Bolster liquid. Now experimenting with Lesco's ProMax.
Roots is good too.

Harley-D
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
So now that we've found the best organic product, where can we get it affordable. Price always seems to be the downfall to the perfect organic mix. Believe me, i'm for it but don't want to sell the farm.

Moooooo.

mrkosar
07-02-2007, 03:32 PM
any results from folks testing or have done in the past bio apps like promax? i'm about to do a few with promax and would love to hear more stories or better yet before and after pics.

mrkosar
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
also, does it have to be sprayed within 12 hours or so of mixing it like compost teas?