PDA

View Full Version : 23hp Kawie heavy duty air filters?

jomowz
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Has anyone used the heavy duty air filter conversion kit on their Kawie 23 or 25hp engines? They are the shaped like a cylinder. Do they do a better job ?
Thanks, Joe

02DURAMAX
06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
I dont have that filter on my 23 kaw, but i would guess that it has to do a better job since it much bigger...

bohiaa
06-08-2007, 06:39 PM
they " the instructions " say that ya dont need to clean it as offten. or replace, I dont have it, and was thinking the same as you

stephenslawncare
06-08-2007, 06:43 PM
is there one for the 15 hp. how much are they??? I dont even know if it would be worth it because the engine has 800 hrs and i dont know how good the first owner took care of it. PS... how long should a 15 hp kawisaki engine last if properly taken care of???

bohiaa
06-08-2007, 06:51 PM
is there one for the 15 hp. how much are they??? I dont even know if it would be worth it because the engine has 800 hrs and i dont know how good the first owner took care of it. PS... how long should a 15 hp kawisaki engine last if properly taken care of???

they are quite expensive..... seems to me there like 200.00 Ouch...

unless I read some VERY GOOD data I WILL NOT be getting one....

J&R Landscaping
06-08-2007, 08:59 PM
The canister air cleaners do last a long long time. IMHO, they are worth the money.

puppypaws
06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
they " the instructions " say that ya dont need to clean it as offten. or replace, I dont have it, and was thinking the same as you

They actually filter better after they get the first coat of dust on them. You shouldn't clean them period just change them once a year. I think the manufacture will tell you not to clean them, they will keep filtering very good when you think they are dirty.

I've had a lot of experience with this type of Donaldson filtering system on combines. The filter on a combine is virtually the same as the one on my Super Z except a whole lot bigger with a dust cup.

I would service the air filter every 10 hrs. on a combine but you need to remember there is more dust going through that filter cutting soybeans for one week than would go through your mower in a life time of the engine. I would put a new filter in every year.

When I would pull the filter out to service it there would be a half inch coating of soybean dust over the element. When I sold the last combine it had 3800 hrs. on it and I would add a quart of oil about every 25 hrs. and change it at 100 hrs. The engine held 17 quarts so you can see there was no oil consumption to even notice.

Every machine that is run in dusty conditions at all should have the Donaldson cannister style filtering system on them.

sildoc
06-09-2007, 12:11 AM
just bought the lazer hp with 23 hp kawi and donaldson air cleaner. will see in the next few months how well it works.

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 12:26 AM
The heavy duty air cleaner (large one with inner & outer filter) is the best!!!

I for one will never own another kawasaki with their stock air filtration.

It's the worst intake air setup I have ever seen. The major problem is that it is designed to feed dirty air into the airbox intake. Not suited for commercial use at all.

If you don't have the canister and you are like I was... cleaning the filter daily or more... it's totally worth $200 for the upgrade.

Just make it a point not to buy another new mower that doesn't have the canister.
It hurts the feelings a little to pay $200 for an air cleaner to upgrade it to work like it should.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
just bought the lazer hp with 23 hp kawi and donaldson air cleaner. will see in the next few months how well it works. I can personally guarantee you are way ahead of the game with that system just remember not to try to clean it to often, I would recommend not cleaning it at all and changing it once a year.

When you use air to clean one never blow outside in always blow inside out and I promise you cleaning one is not necessary. It is a mine game you think it is dirty to you when it is actually doing a better job of filtering because the pores are smaller from the coating of dust. I have done this for to many years with excellent service from large turbo charged diesel engines. No wrapped filter just the large single cannister filter on all my equipment. You know if it will handle the dusty conditions a combine runs in a mower is no problem at all.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 07:24 AM
just bought the lazer hp with 23 hp kawi and donaldson air cleaner. will see in the next few months how well it works.

This will tell you people what you need to know and they say change the filter do not clean it. The way it is designed it slings the larger dust particles out and keeps the filter element cleaner. I would not think about changing one with less than 200 hrs. on it and more than likely doesn't need it then.

I have the filter minder on mine which takes the guess work out anyway but I change it once a year because I want to and for no other reason.

http://www.exmark.com/pdfs/canister.pdf

mag360
06-09-2007, 09:50 AM
We've got them on 2 out of the 4 larger machines. They do last a lot longer and filter better than the old style but also rob a little power. Also we are constantly replacing the little plastic caps that keep water out of the intake tube.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 09:55 AM
We've got them on 2 out of the 4 larger machines. They do last a lot longer and filter better than the old style but also rob a little power. Also we are constantly replacing the little plastic caps that keep water out of the intake tube.

What machines are you having the trouble with these plastic caps, I've not heard of this problem.

lawnMaster5000
06-09-2007, 11:26 AM
you will not regret the upgrade to a canister, Donaldson, type filtration system.

These systems use centrifugal force to filter all the large particles out and standard type dual element filter for the remaining fine particles. These filters will keep your engines much cleaner and the filters will last much longer.

Envy Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 10:00 PM
The end cap of the canister... make sure you pay attention to how it's supposed to be on.

It's marked on the plastic, and you want the grey rubber cone pointed down.

Pop this cone off once in a while and remove the dirtball that collects in it.

Run the outer filter all year. Then tap it out or replace it after fall leaves before you put it away for winter.

In my opinion, I think we all should put the "Filter-minder" do-hicky onto the outlet for it and not mess with anything but the grey rubber cone until the do-hicky tells you it's time for a filter change.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 10:34 PM
The end cap of the canister... make sure you pay attention to how it's supposed to be on.

It's marked on the plastic, and you want the grey rubber cone pointed down.

Pop this cone off once in a while and remove the dirtball that collects in it.

Run the outer filter all year. Then tap it out or replace it after fall leaves before you put it away for winter.

In my opinion, I think we all should put the "Filter-minder" do-hicky onto the outlet for it and not mess with anything but the grey rubber cone until the do-hicky tells you it's time for a filter change.

Mine is all black and has a dust blow out tube that points down with the word top on the filter cover. The tube lets the heavier particles sling out of the filter. You could be blind and not install it incorrectly by feeling the blow out tube.

What little plastic cap is he talking about losing, there is nothing on mine to lose unless the whole end of the cannister that covers the filter would fall off.

I run so fast I don't stay in as much dust as most people would anyway.

captken
06-09-2007, 10:36 PM

Good advise. I have the filter mider do-hicky on my Hustler, Exmark, F-350 Super Duty....

Changing them once a year is a crock of bull hocky.

Change when you have to reset the filter minder. period. When they get clogged and are becoming restrictive, the filter mider will tell you. Push the red reset on minder and it clicks, time to change filter.

You can add them to any Donaldson canister. Remove the plug and install the brass connector there for the filter minder.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Good advise. I have the filter mider do-hicky on my Hustler, Exmark, F-350 Super Duty....

Changing them once a year is a crock of bull hocky.

Change when you have to reset the filter minder. period. When they get clogged and are becoming restrictive, the filter mider will tell you. Push the red reset on minder and it clicks, time to change filter.

You can add them to any Donaldson canister. Remove the plug and install the brass connector there for the filter minder.

Have you ever payed any attention to how many hours you can run until it calls for a filter?

I realize it is different in different conditions but just wondering if you knew about the number of hours.

captken
06-09-2007, 10:58 PM
Have you ever payed any attention to how many hours you can run until it calls for a filter?

Yes, and it is less than a year. It all depends on operating conditions. Dustier conditions dictate you change the filter more often. [leaf removal in Fall or operating during the Summer drought conditions] ect.

Wet conditions [not here due to drought] dictate longer run times between filter changes.

That's why I use a Filter Minder. It tells when there are [engine robbing power] restrictions present.
While you can still operate the machine, run it for a year, you are killing yourself on lost power, due to decreased air flow to the engine and increased fuel usage.....

Sure you can operate it for a year, and it probably will still filter air properly, but why?

Increased operating expense vs. new filter? Your call, kenny

captken
06-09-2007, 11:49 PM

I realize it is different in different conditions but just wondering if you knew about the number of hours.

No, puppypaws, I honestly do not know how many hours. Filters are cheap, I change when needed and don't notice how many hours since we operate under vareing weather conditions. [dry dusty] [wet not dusty]

I use the Idiot sensor, the filter minder and don't worry about it.

KISS, keep it simple, stupid...lol, kenny. Change em' when the fillter minder tells me to and go.

I had to re-read your post and reply. I do not know how many hrs, but is definately less than a year, I'd guess, and this is only a guess, 200 hrs, maybe less, maybe more, just depends on the dust.

your friend, kenny.

puppypaws
06-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Yes, and it is less than a year. It all depends on operating conditions. Dustier conditions dictate you change the filter more often. [leaf removal in Fall or operating during the Summer drought conditions] ect.

Wet conditions [not here due to drought] dictate longer run times between filter changes.

That's why I use a Filter Minder. It tells when there are [engine robbing power] restrictions present.
While you can still operate the machine, run it for a year, you are killing yourself on lost power, due to decreased air flow to the engine and increased fuel usage.....

Sure you can operate it for a year, and it probably will still filter air properly, but why?

Increased operating expense vs. new filter? Your call, kenny

I also have the filter minder on my Super Z, I only mow my personal property and put 162 hrs. on the mower last year and the filter minder showed good but I change it once a year just out of habit which I probably don't need to.

I don't know if people realize this or not, you are never suppose to clean or attempt to clean the Donaldson cannister style air filter or it voids their warranty. They say if the engine gets dusted and fails no one will stand behind it if they find you cleaned the filter instead of replacing it.

I thought that was some interesting information I was not aware of and most people probably aren't.

Donaldson actually explains their filtering system filters better after it gets a coat of dust completely over the filter because it decreases the size of the filter pores and stops more dust than a new one.

mag360
06-20-2007, 12:06 PM
What machines are you having the trouble with these plastic caps, I've not heard of this problem.

Husqvarna and scag ztr's, both with the 27hp kohler. It's the rain cap that sticks up a little higher than the rest of the intake/filter.

I assumed it was part of the donaldson setup since the two machines are different brands. Maybe it is a kohler part?

bobcat175
06-20-2007, 12:28 PM
FYI - the canister filters that come with the Kawasaki engines are Fleetguard/Nelson canisters...not Donaldson.