PDA

View Full Version : I cant win

bohiaa
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
so a lady calls me up last night at 10:00 pm....

YES ten pm..... BLA BLA BAL all the useual, so. I agree to give her a bid today.....

I went and it was crap....weeds all in the front yard. "they live in a trailer"

in places knee high
looks like they have about 30 to 40 acers. the neabor cuts it with the brush hog...... But he wont cut up arond the house.....

Not a lot to cut on my part.

I REALLY DIDNT want it...... so I gave her an estimate. of 380.00....

knowing that's wayyyy to high..... she says ok Do you work on Saturdays..

I do NOW.........:cry:

LindblomRJ
06-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Not a lot to cut on my part.

I REALLY DIDNT want it...... so I gave her an estimate. of 380.00....

knowing that's wayyyy to high..... she says ok Do you work on Saturdays..

I do NOW.........:cry:

Beats sitting at home and $380 in the pocket to boot.:drinkup:

carcrz
06-09-2007, 12:02 AM
make sure you get a contract signed. I'd hate for you to get stiffed working on a Saturday. I'd also get prepayment when you show up the first time so they don't leave while you're working.

Grits
06-09-2007, 12:38 AM
That is great! But why do you have to do it on Satuday? I only work weekends when I HAVE to or I feel like it. Otherwise, I spend time with the wife and kids, do paper work, and equipment maintenance.
Is that $380 per month or per cut?

coonman
06-09-2007, 12:42 AM
They live in a trailer and let their yard get out of control, but they are going to pay 380 to have their yard mowed up around their trailer. You said not a lot of mowing, what does that mean 20 minutes of mowing? It sounds like they want a free cut to me.

sheshovel
06-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Beware of late callers, they have no respect for you out the door. I say forget it!

Grits
06-09-2007, 01:04 AM
They live in a trailer and let their yard get out of control, but they are going to pay 380 to have their yard mowed up around their trailer. You said not a lot of mowing, what does that mean 20 minutes of mowing? It sounds like they want a free cut to me.

I did a one time cut for a guy living in a crappy trailer with a crappy little trailer lot. I bid it high. He said OK (over the phone). I was weary of the whole thing. But when I showed up to do it, he had left a money order for the amount taped to his front door. I would do it again, no doubt.

HOOLIE
06-09-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm just wondering why you answered the phone at 10pm....not normal biz hours. Anyway if you make a good chunk of change, that's good.

bohiaa
06-09-2007, 08:10 AM
na it'a a one timer...

it may be like 2 to 3 hrs cutting time...
I'm kind of full for weekly cuts, not really taking on any more customers unless, it's a real good one.
there is just no way I could fit it in anywhere, they have family comming in on Monday, she really wanted it done on SAturday. today....

yup Great money, it's just one of those things that I really dont wanna do..
I just never thought they would go for it......

lesson learned, next time I dont want one.... bit it at 500.00

Wolfbass
06-09-2007, 08:17 AM
If you are sure you don't want the job, don't try to avoid it by bidding too high--just tell the customer you are not interested and leave it at that.

Harley-D
06-09-2007, 08:20 AM
Sounds like from the looks of it, i would have never even got out of the truck. Hope you get paid.

If someone says, i can't get anyone to even show up, there's usually a reason why. I'm one that drives on by.

topsites
06-09-2007, 08:30 AM
You know there is one little thing might save you yet:

"Ok sir / ma'am, there is just one thing, please leave payment for the work under the mat at the door, so that it is there when I get there."

You gotta watch it, if they talk about "Oh but we will be there"
That's fine, please put payment under the mat for me.
> If there's no mat, then inside the screen door, or stuck under the leg of the chair on the porch, doesn't matter, put it somewhere and so the wind can't blow it away.
> Don't let them skedaddle out of this one, payment first or no work.

Then it's easy: The FIRST thing you do when you get there is look for the payola. No pay, no cut.
Now if the payment is there you need to do the work, that should go without saying, but...

I HATE slow times thou, I would've ran from this one any other day, I got a similar one, details aside, time I got done with the work the guy says to me "Gee it looks like you did a good job, so we will pay you" (and I had to leave a bill)... Likely another one that goes to 60 days before I see my money.
Oh well, it's all good.

Sounds like from the looks of it, i would have never even got out of the truck. Hope you get paid. If someone says, i can't get anyone to even show up, there's usually a reason why. I'm one that drives on by.

No doubt, but they just keep a coming, and out of every 100 or so, one or two always get me, just about.

bohiaa
06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
went and cut it today.....turned out ok,,,,,3 hrs.....

Just one of those things guys. I'm getting tired..............

supercuts
06-09-2007, 04:00 PM
If you are sure you don't want the job, don't try to avoid it by bidding too high--just tell the customer you are not interested and leave it at that.

why? i do the same thing, your booked, not much time, dont really want it, but you make time for the high priced job, and if you dont get it, no big deal. no brainer to me. $380, in and out in 2hrs, why would you rather walk away??

IA_James
06-09-2007, 04:01 PM
I did a one time cut for a guy living in a crappy trailer with a crappy little trailer lot. I bid it high. He said OK (over the phone). I was weary of the whole thing. But when I showed up to do it, he had left a money order for the amount taped to his front door. I would do it again, no doubt.

I have a guy that had a not real nice house, not real nice yard, and had a blow out with his previous LCO. I was kinda leary about it, and bid it a little higher than normal. He didn't even flinch, and paid for 2 months up front in $20's.:cool2:

bohiaa
06-09-2007, 05:02 PM
why? i do the same thing, your booked, not much time, dont really want it, but you make time for the high priced job, and if you dont get it, no big deal. no brainer to me. $380, in and out in 2hrs, why would you rather walk away??

yea, turned out fine.... HAd to do it by myself, I had rather been with the wife today laying around in bed, watching the hot rod shows,,,,

But I did it and I got paid, and it went well

Grits
06-09-2007, 06:15 PM
yea, turned out fine.... HAd to do it by myself, I had rather been with the wife today laying around in bed, watching the hot rod shows,,,,

But I did it and I got paid, and it went well

Hell yeah! I would have left the house today for $127 per hour, too! Better you did it by yourself, less money going out. Usually when I do work on the weekends, I work alone. For 2 reasons, my help doesn't like to work on the weekend and I don't want to pay my help for working over the weekend.

WJW Lawn
06-09-2007, 11:07 PM

Same here...had a guy in a trailer...bid him high...he paid it everytime...was NEVER late..and was very easy to work for! Yet some of my "rich" clients.. wanna pay me late...piss and moan...and blah blah.

Stillwater
06-11-2007, 02:27 AM
Beware of late callers, they have no respect for you out the door. I say forget it!

I agree with sheshovel

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 02:34 AM
Not to be judgemental, but seeing as how they live in a trailer....lets just say I hope you don't get screwed! I would implement a very strict contract.