PDA

View Full Version : Burned my grass with pro-select 24-5-11

organicgreen
06-08-2007, 08:44 PM
:realmad: I burn't a good portion of my grass using Scott's pro-select 24-5-11! I just used their starter fertilizer this past April 2007. No issues at all. I keep my grass at 3 1/2 inches, and keep proactive with fugus issues in addition to nutrients. Usually I use Espoma's Organic Lawn food, but I figured I would try some of Scott's proselect. I just though that this stuff was buffered enough whereas one could avoid burning their grass. And now I have a combo of brown and green. Ironically my backyard was so so (mostly shady). I figured I water water water, and wait it out for a few more days, and then commence with a good seed combo, upon prepping the soil to hold the seeds. I wondering if some gypsum might help in the extraction process with regards to the fertilizer. Worst case, I may have to rake up the dead grass (play by ear) What say you? Thanks in advance.I am a new member as of today, however I have accessed this website for about 2 years or so, and oh what an excellent resource! :clapping:

Best Regards

Nathan Robinson
06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Its embarassing for someone to use an organic name then go and use a conventional sythetic fertilizer and burn their lawn up. If you understood organics you would have thrown that trash for fertilizer that you applied in the landfill. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!

Nathan Robinson
06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Its embarassing for someone to use an organic name then go and use a conventional sythetic fertilizer and burn their lawn up. If you understood organics you would have thrown that trash for fertilizer that you applied in the landfill. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME! using that much (N) this time of year stimulates sedges causing you more problems anyhow.

philk17088
06-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you didn't calibrate for the material.
THat fertilizer won't burn unless its mis-applied.

rcreech
06-08-2007, 09:44 PM
It isn't the analysis that burns your lawn...it is the application rate and the amount of SCU in the product. I am currently using a 32-3-8 30%SCU. However I have backed my rate down to 2#/1000 and will be swithing to a 50% SCU very soon.
If you are comparing the same analysis of "organic" vs. chemical fertilizer you should get the same response. N-P-K is N-P-K. The plants don't know the difference when you apply at the correct rate and use SCU.

unit28
06-08-2007, 11:46 PM
labels?
we don't read no stinking labels.

heh.

Envi-Lawn
06-09-2007, 10:10 AM
no offense, sounds like misapplication.

upidstay
06-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Gotta agree with Envi-Lawn. I have used some cheap crap fert before and didn't burn.

Sure it wasn't a disease? Diseases often pop up within a few days of fertiliozing, particularly if it's alot of quick release N. And your "water water water" strategy would actually make it worse...

timturf
06-09-2007, 08:44 PM
no offense, sounds like misapplication.

And his profile states 3yrs in business, with 20yrs of experience...3yrs in WHAT business? and 20yrs experience doing what?

I think it's time for me to leave this site!

Stillwater
06-10-2007, 05:33 AM
Seriously you really do have to screw up to trash a lawn with a Scott product. But in your defence you might have had a underlaying issue before the app.

philk17088
06-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I think this thread was more of a bash on synthetics and trying to push organics.

Victor
06-11-2007, 01:07 AM
And his profile states 3yrs in business, with 20yrs of experience...3yrs in WHAT business? and 20yrs experience doing what?

I think it's time for me to leave this site!

Oh no you're not! You're not going anywhere Buddy. You're too valuable of a member to this site to lose, so don't even try to skate out of here. Remember... I'm going to be keeping an eye on you. :eek:

topsites
06-11-2007, 01:26 AM
Pictures would help, there are too many factors at stake here, you could be over-watering, maybe it's getting cut too often, who knows? And it is strange, slow release is usually done acting up within 30 days... Pics?

Harley-D
06-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Combo of brown and green. Are there lesions on the blades of grass or are they totally brown? I'ld say that you didn't know how many pounds of N you were putting down and put down too much. You can't just pick a fert and throw it on your lawn. If this is a ploy to get people to use more organics...it's sad.

treemonkey
06-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Its embarassing for someone to use an organic name then go and use a conventional sythetic fertilizer and burn their lawn up. If you understood organics you would have thrown that trash for fertilizer that you applied in the landfill. BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME!

What a hoot!!!!! One organic guy criticizing another organic guy for erring with synthetic fertilizer. Then he goes on to recommend throwing fertilizer in a landfill! Didn't anyone else catch this?

This thread gave me my "laugh for the day". Thanks.