PDA

View Full Version : Chain-saw primer bulb?

LarryF
06-08-2007, 07:59 PM
My Husqvarna 340 chain saw is several years old. It's very hard to start when cold, but once I do get it running, it starts easily with one pull. It's been that way since it was new. I noticed recently when I was in Lowes where there are some Husky chain saws on display, that the new ones have a small primer bulb (small hemisphere) like what is on Stilhl and RedMax 2-cycle products I bought in the last year. Is it possible to get a primer-bulb kit from Husquvarna to upgrade the saw I have? If so, any suggestions about the procedure to do that?

scottr 2006
06-09-2007, 07:08 AM
Larry , a lot of the late model saws are set lean from the factory . It sounds like your saw needs a carb adjustment .

LarryF
06-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Larry , a lot of the late model saws are set lean from the factory . It sounds like your saw needs a carb adjustment .

Thanks Scott.

I'll look into what you suggested again, but I did take it back to where I bought it the first time I had the problem. And that place wasn't Lowes or HD, it was the same dealer that sold me my Exmark ZTR. He told me that's the way they are supposed to be. So I've been living with this, and since I don't use the saw often, it never seemed like such a big deal to me. But now that I've also gotten a Stihl string trimmer and a couple of Redmax blowers that all start easily even when cold, the chain-saw hard starting is beginning to bother me some more.

LarryF
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks Scott.

I'll look into what you suggested again, but I did take it back to where I bought it the first time I had the problem. And that place wasn't Lowes or HD, it was the same dealer that sold me my Exmark ZTR. He told me that's the way they are supposed to be. So I've been living with this, and since I don't use the saw often, it never seemed like such a big deal to me. But now that I've also gotten a Stihl string trimmer and a couple of Redmax blowers that all start easily even when cold, the chain-saw hard starting is beginning to bother me some more.

Scott,

That did it. Thanks again! With your advice and after reading the Husqvarna operator's manual maintenance page and then spending a couple of seconds with a screwdriver opening up the "L" jet, it now starts on the first pull even when cold. I'm a little ashamed of myself for not doing this when I first brought the saw home rather than take it back to the dealer. I had left the saw with him for a few days, but now I suspect he never even took it out of the case. Well, so much for dealer service, a topic which seems to take up a lot of space in these forums.

I have another question if you would care to answer it. On that Husqvarna maintenance page is the statement "A correctly adjusted carburetor means that the saw accelerates without hesitation and the saw 4-cycles a little at max speed." I know the difference between 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines, but can you explain in English what is meant by the statement of a 2-cycle engine "4-cycles a little". That remark seems like incoherent babble to me.

Larry

scottr 2006
06-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Scott,

That did it. Thanks again! With your advice and after reading the Husqvarna operator's manual maintenance page and then spending a couple of seconds with a screwdriver opening up the "L" jet, it now starts on the first pull even when cold. I'm a little ashamed of myself for not doing this when I first brought the saw home rather than take it back to the dealer. I had left the saw with him for a few days, but now I suspect he never even took it out of the case. Well, so much for dealer service, a topic which seems to take up a lot of space in these forums.

I have another question if you would care to answer it. On that Husqvarna maintenance page is the statement "A correctly adjusted carburetor means that the saw accelerates without hesitation and the saw 4-cycles a little at max speed." I know the difference between 2-cycle and 4-cycle engines, but can you explain in English what is meant by the statement of a 2-cycle engine "4-cycles a little". That remark seems like incoherent babble to me.

Larry

Larry , the saw is suppose to accelerate without hesitation and to take it a step further if you let it idle for twenty or so seconds and tilt it forward the idle should not change . As far as the four stroking sound , when you finish a cut the saw does not scream to a higher pitch but blubbers a little . I adjust my saws for the best performance in the cut and only hear the blubber at the end of the cut . Scott

LarryF
06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Larry , the saw is suppose to accelerate without hesitation and to take it a step further if you let it idle for twenty or so seconds and tilt it forward the idle should not change . As far as the four stroking sound , when you finish a cut the saw does not scream to a higher pitch but blubbers a little . I adjust my saws for the best performance in the cut and only hear the blubber at the end of the cut . Scott

I just went out and fired it up again. And by the way, it certainly is a pleasure to have it roar to life with one pull of the cord. It conforms to the first points you made; that is, it accelerates without hesitation an there is no perceptible change in idle speed when tilted forward. But as far as the four-stroke sound (a blubber as opposed a high-pitch scream at the end of a cut), I'm afraid my three-quarters-of-a-century-old ears can't pick that up if it's there. But the saw runs great for my purposes, and I appreciate your help.

Larry

scottr 2006
06-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I just went out and fired it up again. And by the way, it certainly is a pleasure to have it roar to life with one pull of the cord. It conforms to the first points you made; that is, it accelerates without hesitation an there is no perceptible change in idle speed when tilted forward. But as far as the four-stroke sound (a blubber as opposed a high-pitch scream at the end of a cut), I'm afraid my three-quarters-of-a-century-old ears can't pick that up if it's there. But the saw runs great for my purposes, and I appreciate your help.

Larry

Larry , glad to help . If you'll adjust your saw (H adjust) for the best performance in the cut then you'll not be too lean or rich and you wont have to worry about hearing the four stroking blubber .