PDA

View Full Version : granular weed control??

bbpropmaint
06-08-2007, 09:11 PM
what are you guys using for granular weed control??? How is it effective if the weeds are not moist or dewy at the time of application??can you get control on dry days???? or do you need ideal conditions..do i need to spray?? the areas are larger and all i have is a backpack..Help???

mkroher
06-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Sounds like you're about to break the law.

teeca
06-08-2007, 11:27 PM
granular sucks! i have to use it on a hospital that i treat do to there 'fresh air' intakes, spoty at best. it was somewhat under control maybe 30% (has alot of clover/violets/ivy) last year i talked them into shutting down the air system over labor day weekend and hit it with cool power, smoked'm all with one app. they were VERY happy.

Rayholio
06-09-2007, 12:24 PM
viper works good... but it bearly works if the weeds arn't wet...

broadleeaf only.

your best bet is always to spray

Ric
06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Yo

I can not speak for Cool Season Turf but on St Augustine Weed & Feed with Atrazine works well as both a pre and post emerge Herbicide. Some weeds that Atrazine doesn't control as a post emerge will be controlled as a pre emerge. Response time with granules is Slower but residual is greater like most granules.

TLS
06-09-2007, 09:53 PM
This past week I treated my lawns with Lebanon's 19-0-6 Confront-3/Dimension.

All were treated when it was real wet/dewey.

I mowed some today that I treated earlier in the week. Clover kill is impressive. You can clearly see property lines as neighbors have white clover flowers and mine are all brown and wilting. Buckhorn is curling and wilting. We need rain so bad. These lawns were only briefly T-stormed on (less than 1/10" total!) two times. I'm hoping the Dimension will carry me through the full summer. I saw some very early crabgrass here and there around edges...this should put the post emergent part of Dimension to the test.

I purposely treated my home lawn late one evening (Totally dry!)....I'm noticing some of the clover starting to discolor....I'll let you know next week.

I'm not too happy with how dusty this product was, and how the MESA fert was a totally different size from the rest of the product.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty happy with the results so far from the Confront-3

ampeg76
06-10-2007, 02:50 AM
Yo

I can not speak for Cool Season Turf but on St Augustine Weed & Feed with Atrazine works well as both a pre and post emerge Herbicide. Some weeds that Atrazine doesn't control as a post emerge will be controlled as a pre emerge. Response time with granules is Slower but residual is greater like most granules.

i have been trying to get away from atrazine, by using dimension as a pre, but damn if atrazine doesn't do a better job for me!

Ric
06-10-2007, 11:53 AM
i have been trying to get away from atrazine, by using dimension as a pre, but damn if atrazine doesn't do a better job for me!

Unlike my sandy soil, your clay soil should give you great pre emerge protection with Atrazine. Atrazine 4 L is now a RUP but Weed and Feed with Atrazine is still the same strength and a GUP. Yes I am trying to get away from Atrazine also but it is still the best broad leaf weed killer for St Augustine.

tremor
06-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Highlands NY....He can't use Confront3. It isn't registered in NY. Try Lebanon's Contront TR but you're not going to get ANY results if it's applied to a dry lawn. Read the entire LABEL & follow it to a tee & you'll get fair results if the weeds are actively growing. If it's a drought stress condition - forget it.