PDA

View Full Version : Bad Batch Of Trimec Killed Lawn?

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-08-2007, 09:16 PM
I have gotten two calls this week from customers saying there are large dead spots of grass 6 feet or so. I believe there was too much trimec 992 in the mix. I was using the highest recommended rate, usually I stay a little lower. I was using nu-film sticker and it was gunked up in my spray tank, would the trimec cling to the sticker and wherever the sticker hits, giving too much AI and killing the grass. I don't believe it was fert burn because I was using the same fert mixture 15-0-5 50% slow release at a pretty low dose. Will the grass comeback from over herbicide application? Or is the ground gonna be infertile for some time? Will it take awhile? should I seed or would sod be better for quicker effects.
Basically I am looking for advice on what to do to fix this current dead grass problem.

carcrz
06-09-2007, 01:00 AM
If it's actually dead, you will need to repair it either with sod or seed, depends on how fast you want results. If it's turning yellow, you can sometimes water heavily & hope for the best. Have you also thought about some early grub problems?

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Two lawns from the same batch of chemical have now called with the same symptoms. They have never had grub problems in the past, so I am almost positive without even looking at them it was the chemical just from what they say. I am off to go look at them today, so I will know better then.

Harley-D
06-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Sounds to me that you might have put too strong a mixture down and burnt the lawn. Was it over 85 degrees when you sprayed?

The label states that you can't reseed for 3-4 weeks but i don't know about replacing the areas with sod.
The 24d might be a problem with the sod taking root but not sure.
I'm assuming it's all bluegrass.
Ric?
Topsites?

RigglePLC
06-09-2007, 10:13 PM
MN,
Details please--but only after you have seen the lawn yourself. What equipment--Permagreen? Skid sprayer? Backpack? Gallons per thousand? Pressure? Pounds of nitrogen per thousand?

Any insects? Grubs? Fungus? Well-watered?

Was there adequate agitation? Any chance some product may have settled out? Why spots, and not the whole lawn? Why not other customers, too?

Sounds like Nu-Film is a problem. Lesco makes a good wetting agent.

It takes a lot of Trimec to damage a lawn. Fertilizer is not so forgiving.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-09-2007, 11:17 PM
I am at 2 gallons per 1000 sq ft. Skid sprayer. I use 5 gallons of 15-0-5 50% slow per 100 gallons of water. I use 2 quarts per 100 gallons of water of trimec. I believe in that batch though I was applying 3 quarts though, but I have done that before.
I looked at the lawns today and it is definetely my spray that did it. You can see where I sprayed and neighbors grass is just fine. The grass is brown and looks stressed bigtime. I just remebered though, I was using Nu-film with diuron, glysophate, and oust in the tank before this batch of chemical. I rinsed the tanks out good until I seen clear water, but I bet the Nu-film clinged onto some bareground stuff and when the nu-film gunk crap came out It had bareground attached to it I bet. Basically I don't know, but it was my spray. It happened to two lawns from the same mixture. I told the one customer to water heavily because it looked like the grass was coming back. The other lawn is pretty bad though. I told her to water though also or I could re-seed or sod later on.
WILL THE GRASS GROW BACK? I can't believe just that little bit of bareground clinging to some sticker mixed with 200 gallons of water could do this.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-10-2007, 11:05 AM
I was using Nu-film with diuron, glysophate, and oust in the tank before this batch of chemical. I rinsed the tanks out good until I seen clear water,
heres your sign

Evan528
06-10-2007, 12:52 PM
This is why I have always had dedicated tanks..... one for selective herbicides and one for non selective.

tremor
06-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Next time use a separate tank or at least use a neutralizing spray tank cleaner. Bleach is good enough in most cases.

Slice in some good Perennial Ryegrass & tell them to water.

Ric
06-11-2007, 01:02 AM
MNmasterEXTERMINATOR

By Chance was this a older jug to trimec 992??? Some chemicals actually get stronger with age.

MNmasterEXTERMINATOR
06-11-2007, 09:46 AM
I did have an older jug, but I don't believe it was used with this treatment. Brand new stuff.