PDA

View Full Version : Exmark or Ferris

nitro rookie
06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I posted the other day about a Red Hawk mower. Then I started thinking
about it. This is going to be my main mower so maybe I should get a little better one. I went out looking again today and would like to hear your input
between a Exmark Turf Tracer 23hp Kaw and a Ferris Comfort Control DD 25hp Kaw. Haven't decided on the 52 or the 60/61 yet.
Any pros and cons about either would be great.

Thanks,

howardsells2000
06-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I have the older style Ferris DD 52" WB with the 19hp. It seems to be a quality machine. I have not had any major problems and have been very pleased with it. I'm not too familiar with the exmarks.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 02:47 AM
I can vouch for ExMark being a quality brand of machine. I have an ExMark Lazer Z Advantage Series 25hp 60" (14 hours on the machine) and I love it. I also own 2 used ExMark Lazer Z 25hp 60" mowers, one with 1600 hrs and the other with over 2000 hrs. I really have no interest in trying another machine. I'm very pleased with the performance and low maintenance it requires to keep these machines working great. Hope this helps.

bohiaa
06-09-2007, 09:20 AM
I own an exmark 52" cut.

one day I stopped in at a ferris dealer, looked them over pretty good, and wish I had went with them....

looks like there built stronger than exmark.

Grits
06-09-2007, 11:06 AM
both are good. which dealer is closer and better? dealer support is a must in this biz.

fiveoboy01
06-09-2007, 01:42 PM
I agree it's going to be close.

Dealer support, which is better?

Try to get your hands on both and see how you like the controls.

I have two Turf Tracer HPs and I love both of them. The ECS controls are pretty easy on the hands.

Bill S
06-09-2007, 05:30 PM
All things being equal with dealer support, go with the Exmark

nitro rookie
06-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Both dealers are with in about 5 miles of eachother. I like the ecs controls on the Exmark, and they have loaner machines if it breaks in the 1st year.
I like the cruise control feature on the Ferris, and it does seem to be built
stronger. I like the way you can adjust the deck also. Pricing is $300 -$400hundred difference Exmark being more.

Then to make matters worse for choices, I went to my part time job boss's
house and tried his Bay Boy 60" 35hp Diesel with full suspention today (just got back) Now that is a really nice machine. To much money for me right now.
Even being able to get it at a demo price. Wich leads me to my next question.

Are walk behinds better for residental properties, or will a ZTR be just as easy
to manuver around landscaping? I have a BAd Boy dealer right around the corner from my house. This is where I work part time in the colder months.
I can get great service from them.

Thanks for all your input. I like the idea that between the Ferris and the Exmark I can't go wrong either way.

carcrz
06-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Either brand would be good. It all depends on which you feel most comfortable with.

As for a rider over a wb, if you don't have any large properties, I'd choose a Stander instead of either. If you have large properties I'd choose a rider.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-09-2007, 07:10 PM
If you are doing smaller, residential lawns, then a 32" will fit through just about all back gates. As the deck gets bigger, say, you buy a 36", you may find some gates too narrow to fit through. Some will say you shouldn't use ztr's on residentials, but I beg to differ. I use my ExMark on just about every front yard, and what would take maybe 10-15 minutes with a 32" walk-behind, only takes me 3-5 minutes with my ExMark. The important thing is knowing how to handle the ztr without tearing the grass up as you turn. But if you are just starting, a 32" would be a great mower for starters; I like my 32" Toros. Good luck.

nograss
06-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Ferris is a great machine. 52" is all around best for residential in my opinion. W/B is a much better cut than a ZTR. Most people on a ZTR are for speed and not quality of cut. If you use a Diesel on a 1 mill home, good luck if it's damp when you turn. The tourque to the wheels are unbelievable. Quality, Quality of cut first. 60 for large yards or helper for ZTR in large areas. dealer, dealer dealer.

nitro rookie
06-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I am leaning towards a Ferris Comfort DD 25/52.
I'm having problems deciding because I can get a Bad Boy
Pup 30/52 for about $600 less than the Ferris and about $800
less than a Exmark Turf Tracer.
I don't have any gated properties YET, and I plan on keeping my 36"
that I am currently using.
Thanks for your help and all the replies to my questions.
I think I should keep leaning towards the W/B (even though the prices
are a bit higher) just for ease of use.

fiveoboy01
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
Ferris is a great machine. 52" is all around best for residential in my opinion. W/B is a much better cut than a ZTR. Most people on a ZTR are for speed and not quality of cut. If you use a Diesel on a 1 mill home, good luck if it's damp when you turn. The tourque to the wheels are unbelievable.

Huh?

Show me evidence that a WB leaves a better cut than a Z. Setup correctly, either will cut just fine.

Rutting with a diesel Z has nothing to do with the torque to the wheel motors... It has a lot more to do with the operator and the high weight of the machine.

nitro rookie
06-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Huh?

Show me evidence that a WB leaves a better cut than a Z. Setup correctly, either will cut just fine.

Rutting with a diesel Z has nothing to do with the torque to the wheel motors... It has a lot more to do with the operator and the high weight of the machine.

I really don't know about the cut quality difference myself, ( all I have to compare it too is a 36" husqvarna) but every dealer
I have talked to has said the same thing. A w/b gives a better quality of cut.
I ran that diesel Bad Boy yesturday and I as impressed as to the quality cut it had. Espesially for how fast I was going. To bad I'm not in the market for one of those. All though he told me to take it for a day and try it out on the type of lawns I mow. Very tempting LOL.

Budget
06-11-2007, 08:36 AM
I have both Ferris Z and WB. both are very nice machines. A good dealer means alot and could be worth a few extra bucks. I think the cut on my Z looks as good as my WB. if i go the same speed as the WB..