PDA

View Full Version : Opinions: Gravely z34, eXmark Phazer 34, or Dixon Black Bear 34

Cathman
06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Ok, I am looking for a small one for gates in our area and looking for a rider only. Looked at all of them and am still undecided. If you own one or have owned more than one....which do you prefer and why? Going rider only also.

Gravely z34- 4499.00
eXmark Phazer 34- 4799.00
Dixon 34- 4999.00

Thoughts and what you think about the pricing or have seen.

Thanks for any info.

leafitalawn
06-08-2007, 11:30 PM
I know this wasn't one of your options...but I would suggest a 32" Wright stander for $4199.

WREBELMACHINE
06-08-2007, 11:59 PM
How about the Encore fusion.

GravelyGuy
06-09-2007, 12:40 AM
The only one that I have used is the Gravely, but it doesn't get any better. It's tough as nails. 350 hours on mine with no repairs other than a broken belt.

Cathman
06-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Thanks....anything specific i should look for quality wise between the Gravely and the eXmark....i think i have narrowed it down to those two. Hydraulics...brand, style (separated from drive motor or integrated as in the eXmark), specifics about the deck??

Engines are:

Gravely 17 Kawi
eXmark 19 Kawi

Bigray
06-09-2007, 07:21 AM
i personally lean to the exmark, been thinking of the phazer myself.
i believe support is first and foremost, you want a loaner should it break. they are all close enough in price.
always go with the bigger motor. imho...

Wolfbass
06-09-2007, 08:14 AM
Haven't seen the gravely, but I recently was deciding between the phazer and a hustler mini-z 36". I would imagine the phazer mows well, but it didn't feel "sturdy" enough to me--I went with the hustler.

lawnman_scott
06-09-2007, 09:06 AM
I have the gravely 34z and no problems or complaints about it other than the brice of the blades. I would look at the phazer just because its an exmark (they hadnt come out yet when I bought my gravely), but I am pleased with the gravely. Which ever one you buy you will be happy with it. Mine has made it alot easier on us especially in the summer.

denniss
06-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Gravely has separate pumps and motors. Exmark and Mini-Z have integrated transmissions (apparently commercially rated, though). Mini-Z has shallower deck with some complaints about cut quality.

jungleman73055
06-09-2007, 06:52 PM
you may want to look into dixon.i bought me a blackbear 34inch z go with the twin cyl kawi.has parker pumps and wheel motors.this mower mows great mulches leaves like a beast..i have 650 hrs on this machine i run only dixon mowers.and there are dealers close to you.i got mine for 4700 dollars tax included. i am really good friends with the dealer.

jungleman73055

ed2hess
06-09-2007, 08:30 PM
I know this wasn't one of your options...but I would suggest a 32" Wright stander for $4199.

I would second that.......these machines are outselling everything else in our area and built pretty darn strong. And if he can squeeze thru gates with a 36" unit that sentar sport with 17hp is a monster.

Howard Roark
06-09-2007, 11:31 PM
I would second that.......these machines are outselling everything else in our area and built pretty darn strong. And if he can squeeze thru gates with a 36" unit that sentar sport with 17hp is a monster.

Ed,

Do you mulch or discharge with that machine? Also, how is it in the thick St. Augustine, as well as rutting in the rain?

Thanks

thebeans
06-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Gravely has separate pumps and motors. Exmark and Mini-Z have integrated transmissions (apparently commercially rated, though). Mini-Z has shallower deck with some complaints about cut quality.

FYI...The Mini Z Does Not have integrated transmissions. It has separate pumps and motors. The FastTrack and Mini FastTrack (Residential) are integrated.

Cathman
06-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Well folks, the Gravely made it home with me today. Will be doing a test run at the house tomorrow....been waiting to mow my lawn just for it lol. Will update once i get done and let you guys know how it went. The separate stuff and just how heavy built the thing is, is what sold me. Plus the guy was very personable and even enrolled me in some kind of parts program they have....company called Stens...get the parts at a discounted rate and shipping of 8.00 for any amount of stuff....not weight dependent.

Thanks for your input folks, i hope i have made a wise investment. Now, for the next addition...what do you think of.....LOL. Will be back with that question soon hehe.

GravelyGuy
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Good Choice!!! Stay away from hills or that thing will turn into a 900 lb. sled. Also, don't hit any thing with those blades:cry:

jameson
06-10-2007, 01:32 PM
FYI...The Mini Z Does Not have integrated transmissions. It has separate pumps and motors. The FastTrack and Mini FastTrack (Residential) are integrated.

The Hustler FasTrack, Mini FasTrack and the Mini 36/42 all have the IZT 2800 transmissions.

thebeans
06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
The Hustler FasTrack, Mini FasTrack and the Mini 36/42 all have the IZT 2800 transmissions.

You are correct that the Mini Z 36/42 has integrated transmissions. I was looking at the specs of the Mini Z 42/54 not realizing that they were different in ways besides deck size. However, the Mini Z 36/ 42 has HydroGear ZT2800 integrated transmissions, not IZTs, at least according to the Hustler web site.
Anyway, they are indeed integrated on the smaller Mini Z.

Cheers

John Gamba
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Well folks, the Gravely made it home with me today. Will be doing a test run at the house tomorrow....been waiting to mow my lawn just for it lol. Will update once i get done and let you guys know how it went. The separate stuff and just how heavy built the thing is, is what sold me. Plus the guy was very personable and even enrolled me in some kind of parts program they have....company called Stens...get the parts at a discounted rate and shipping of 8.00 for any amount of stuff....not weight dependent.

Thanks for your input folks, i hope i have made a wise investment. Now, for the next addition...what do you think of.....LOL. Will be back with that question soon hehe.

Hows the gravely holding up

Jordan River
09-24-2007, 07:31 PM
Hope the Graveley is working out. I bought the Toro 34" because of the bigger engine (19 hp) and most importantly for the floating deck. I had a fixed deck Graveley wb and hated the fixed deck. I think you'll love the time savings and you might never pull the cord on a 21" again.

ed2hess
09-24-2007, 10:19 PM
Ed,

Do you mulch or discharge with that machine? Also, how is it in the thick St. Augustine, as well as rutting in the rain?

Thanks

Sorry for not replying on this....we mulch with outlet closed year round in thich St Augustine and in the rain and also do rye in winter also in the rain. But we do the same with a Scag and Snapper 36" WB and Scag Tiger yearrouind never take mulch plate off regardless of conditions. Our properties are small in urban cities and safety is a major concern. With plate on it speeds up cutting, never need to worry about throwing trash on roads, sidewalks, beds, etc.