PDA

View Full Version : rock hounding

gmcplowtruck
06-09-2007, 10:51 AM
what is the average price to rock hound a ne lawn with very rocky soil and irrigation what is a good price to rock hound i would have to rent the skidsteer and the rock hound my machine wont handle it but i can rent a t190 with the rock hound for $350 a day

forestfireguy
06-09-2007, 05:03 PM
You need a guy to hand rake around obstructions and an operator for the machine, don't forget to charge for mobilizing the equipment, both ways. My price would be around $1350 assuming a 9 hr day, 1 laborer and 1 operator my equipment expense is also lower since we own both, but these are the numbers that apply to us, our overhead, desired profits and such. To be accurate you need to know all this stuff to really be sure you're making money.........

Mike33
06-09-2007, 09:14 PM
Thats tough to answer when you dont own the equiptment. I have owned both since 96. Since i own both i would get 500 a day for this service and you really need to hand tie around trees, sidewalks, and etc. If you dont care to get off the machine than you will need a labor or labor yourself. Average yard 12-17k sq' you can do easy in half a day. Also if it is that bad you need to know if there is a place to dump the debri or haul away, if so you will have to charge for that. I think 1,300 is really high but maybe not in your location, my area you would not get that. Also since you dont own the equipt. you might just charge operaters wage to run it say 15-22 an hour. Its not the home owners fault you dont own the equiptment to do the job. They could get a cont. like me to do the job a lot cheaper.
Mike

forestfireguy
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
1350 is a little high if it's for a builder, for harry homeowner why do it cheaper? Think of all the costs, even if you have your own equipment, actually especially if you have your own stuff. You have to get it there, fuel it, remove it and debris(my number figured hauling 3 loads of crap to a close dumong location) Then you have to servfice it so it'll be running properly next time you need it. You have a laborer, you gotta make a profit on his time and the machine operators time, if not whats the point????? Say it's a half hour run to the job, 15 to unload, machine runs for 8 hrs, then 15 to load, half hr back to shop, bill 8.5 for the machine, 9.5 for the truck as it has been running loads. 1 operator,1 driver,1 laborer, maybe the driver could be the laborer if there isn't a lot of hand raking. If thats the case and I'd do my best not to let it be, he's making min 17 hr, operator is making 13-15, regular laborer makes 9-10 this is why I don't want my driver raking..... Again I gave the numbers I like to see, would I do it for less, probably if I was a little slow or needed a day to fill somewhere, not a chance if we're busy. The way I'd do the job I ESTIMATE ...9 hrs operator, 9 hrs labor, 5 hrs driver, He'd work a full day just not all charged to that job, maybe running another machine somewhere for the next day or loads of deliveries, it kinda depends. Anyway, the point is I think owning gives you only so much room in pricing, you still have payments, maint,fuel,mobilization and the dreaded overhead...Which depending on how you do things could cover some or all of what I mentioned. We job cost everything when it's done. I do not include a contingency % in my bids, my market is high paying but it is also highly cut throat. If my bids are off we either just break even or lose money, something I really don't like at all. I'd rather be the highest bidder and sell my quality than be lowest bidder and make peanuts.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Thats tough to answer when you dont own the equiptment. I have owned both since 96. Since i own both i would get 500 a day for this service and you really need to hand tie around trees, sidewalks, and etc. If you dont care to get off the machine than you will need a labor or labor yourself. Average yard 12-17k sq' you can do easy in half a day. Also if it is that bad you need to know if there is a place to dump the debri or haul away, if so you will have to charge for that. I think 1,300 is really high but maybe not in your location, my area you would not get that. Also since you dont own the equipt. you might just charge operaters wage to run it say 15-22 an hour. Its not the home owners fault you dont own the equiptment to do the job. They could get a cont. like me to do the job a lot cheaper.
Mike

I agree... in my area grading is going pretty low. Most of the time I just do the grading to get to the more profitable portions of the project. If the job is just grading, I would bid it at whatever you need... no sense in working for free.

Mike33
06-10-2007, 10:22 PM
My favorite saying all based on location. Get all you can get but my location is tough. I had a good laugh tonight. I bidded just the back yard of a new home because homeowner can water it okey but wants front to wait to fall. So i gave a 1,850.00 price for backyard : 3 triaxles loads of top soil @ 250.00 per load, grade, rake, 500.00 and hydro-seed around 10ksq' 600.00 total of 1,850.00 homeowner says to much money.:hammerhead:
Mike

forestfireguy
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
Anyone looking for a rockhond landscape rake????? I have a guy with a hound and an 80 Inch bobcat skidsteer bucket for 5300 bucks, both pieces are in good shape only 4 yrs old and little used. PM me if interested.

Mike33
06-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Anyone looking for a rockhond landscape rake????? I have a guy with a hound and an 80 Inch bobcat skidsteer bucket for 5300 bucks, both pieces are in good shape only 4 yrs old and little used. PM me if interested.
Would that be the 5B?
Mike

forestfireguy
06-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I'll find out.

forestfireguy
06-12-2007, 01:30 PM
It is a 6b....the bucket is a general purpose bucket and not a snow/light material bucket.

Ed