PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Roots seem weak/dying tried everything, while not overdoing

domerdel
06-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi, first off, I could not find a consumer/residential forum, business only, but perhaps some of you could answer my questions. First off, My name is Dominic and I currently reside in Redding, California (about 2.5 hrs north of Sacramento). Typically, if we've had a wet winter, we have a problem with an abundance of cutworms/fungus in lawns. It's usually a dry yet very hot summer, but sometimes the transititons are somewhat humid.

My back yard looked to what it appeared to be completely dead. cutworms

Sprayed Triazicide Spray, seemed to help, and used Scotts SummerGuard Fertilizer. My lawn pretty much looked half-par.

So it isn't technically summer. In March, I sprayed Triazicide Spray, and now I did the same today... I'm watering twice a day at 6am for 15 mins, and 4pm for 15 mins, with an average High of 88 and an average low of 60 at night. It will break a hundred in about a month or less, and I want to be sure my lawn looks at it's best.

Here are some photos of my lawn:
http://www.dominicdesign.com/camera/lawn/6-9-2007/

your feedback is much appreciated.

mrkosar
06-09-2007, 04:22 PM
my advice is change your watering habits:

water twice a week for about 1 hr each time (or however long it takes for the soil to be wet 6-8 inches down).

don't water every day. this will encourage diseases and a shallow root system. the roots will start getting accustomed to coming up for water rather than reaching down into the soil for moisture.

water deep and infrequent, and continue a solid fert program and your lawn will start to look better. aerate and overseed in the fall, and this will really get you going in the right direction.

Stillwater
06-10-2007, 05:36 AM
my advice is change your watering habits:

water twice a week for about 1 hr each time (or however long it takes for the soil to be wet 6-8 inches down).

don't water every day. this will encourage diseases and a shallow root system. the roots will start getting accustomed to coming up for water rather than reaching down into the soil for moisture.

water deep and infrequent, and continue a solid fert program and your lawn will start to look better. aerate and overseed in the fall, and this will really get you going in the right direction.

I agree!!!!

cpel2004
06-10-2007, 05:56 AM
I would agree also, in addition what are your overall maintenance schedule for mowing and fert. If I were you I would get a soil test done.

Runner
06-10-2007, 06:26 AM
And get some real fertilizer. Trust me...They don't go to Kmart for their fertilizer for the Buick Invitational.