PDA

View Full Version : Indetify my lawn and a weed

dharris
06-09-2007, 02:51 PM
Wow, glad I found you guys. I now think I;m in the correct place for this question.
Sorry, i am not a professional landscaper, but i figured this was the place to get some answers.

Before I can really start to care for my lawn, would it be possible for someone here to identify my blend of grass?
Here is a photo of the lawn. Also, if possible, can you identify the kind of weed is included in the photo?
Thank you much,

Don
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/dharris1969/Front%20Lawn/6-8-07grass005w.jpg

What could cause the bare spots?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a318/dharris1969/Front%20Lawn/6-8-07grass004w.jpg

MJS
06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Looks like your grass is a tall fescue blend; I can't tell with the close up. The weed appears to be similiar dandelion in leaf shape, but I would be hard pressed to tell you based on only one example (and no flower). The bare spot almost look slike a depression ade by an animal? Pehaps a rabbit or opposum? More pictures etc. would be helpful.

NickN
06-11-2007, 07:39 AM
The turfgrass is Zoysia.Can't tell about the weed at this point.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-11-2007, 08:32 AM
Is there more than one bare spot of the same kind? The spot looks terribly uniform, more like a water meter box or something like that. Not to mock your question, but have you dug there to make sure there is nothing like a steel plate under the top layer of soil? I have a bare spot in my front yard about 4feet off the street that is from the steel water meter box, looks just like that....:cry:

dharris
06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Is there more than one bare spot of the same kind? The spot looks terribly uniform, more like a water meter box or something like that. Not to mock your question, but have you dug there to make sure there is nothing like a steel plate under the top layer of soil? I have a bare spot in my front yard about 4feet off the street that is from the steel water meter box, looks just like that....:cry:

Actually have a few more of different sizes. This spot has already been cleaned out of the dead turf.

Thanks,
Don

dharris
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
The turfgrass is Zoysia.Can't tell about the weed at this point.

How do you know this is Zoysia?

NickN
06-12-2007, 07:37 AM
Leaf texture,shape,and density.Notice how the leaves are shaped like a sword?Rounded at the end.Fescue is pointed at the end and it's not even close to St Augustine or Bermuda.You need to sharpen your mower blades,btw.

dharris
06-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Leaf texture,shape,and density.Notice how the leaves are shaped like a sword?Rounded at the end.Fescue is pointed at the end and it's not even close to St Augustine or Bermuda.You need to sharpen your mower blades,btw.

Thanks man! I never heard of the turf you mentioned. I'm about to put in a lawn in the backyard. Going with Dayton Valley turf. What do you think of this turf? http://www.daytonvalleyturf.com/ . I'm installing the Emerald Blue
Kentucky Blue Blend.

I know about the blade, just need to get around to it. I have about 15 mows on this machine.