PDA

View Full Version : calcium

mrkosar
06-09-2007, 03:14 PM
anybody use calcium in their fert program? if so, what do you use?

any products out there that have low magnesium, but high potassium?

Ric
06-09-2007, 06:57 PM
anybody use calcium in their fert program? if so, what do you use?

any products out there that have low magnesium, but high potassium?

mrkosar

Calcium is so available in most soils and so expensive to put in a Fertilizer Blend that most Manufacture don't add it in their Blends. Calcium Nitrate is most common source of Calcium and is normally applied by spray. It will give great strength to turf that is other wise weak and won't stand up. Golf Greens will use Calcium Nitrate to increase the speed of the ball rolling across the green because the turf stands up and doesn't bend from the ball.

Other sources of Calcium are. Calcium Ammonium Nitrate, Calcium Cyanamide and Single and Triple Super Phosphates.

The Only compound of Potassium that has Magnesium is Potassium Magnesium sulfate. All the others list here don't have Magnesium. Potassium Chloride which is the most common used in Cheap blends of fertilizer, Potassium Nitrate, Potassium thoisulfate, And the Best Potassium that you should use is SOP Sulfate of Potash or Potassium Sulfate.

I am not sure where you are coming from but I hope this answers your question.

mrkosar
06-09-2007, 07:30 PM
thanks very much ric

TurfProSTL
06-10-2007, 03:32 AM
Nutrients Plus 4-4-2 has 9% Ca.....

guess you could supplement it with a high K fertilizer

NattyLawn
06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Use gypsum w/humate as a summer stress reliever app...I try to stay away from organic summer fert because of the green june beetles.

TurfProSTL
06-10-2007, 09:46 PM
This product looks interesting.....

http://www.solu-cal.com/kcals.html

I've used the Solu-Cal gypsum product. It did a very nice job.

mrkosar
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Use gypsum w/humate as a summer stress reliever app...I try to stay away from organic summer fert because of the green june beetles.

why do certain or all organic ferts attract green june beetles? if some ferts do, which ones?

Ric
06-11-2007, 03:25 PM
why do certain or all organic ferts attract green june beetles? if some ferts do, which ones?

Mrkosar

Most all beetles like to lay their eggs in organic material of any kind. That doesn't mean they won't lay them else where. In the case of Mask Chafers they love to eat the roots of St Augustine grass and lay their eggs just above the high water mark so they get the same high moisture that Organic material will hold.