PDA

View Full Version : How is the drought affecting you?

ThreeWide
06-09-2007, 05:53 PM
In the Southeast, our drought situation is getting very bad. This is the second year in a row we have received only a fraction of normal rainfall during Spring and into Summer. Our normal rainfall in this area should be around 28 inches year to date, but we've only had 12.

It is hard to justify doing treatments on non-irrigated turf during conditions like this, but we have to make a living at the same time. Aerations cannot be done due to lack of soil moisture. These conditions do present some opportunities for additional services, but they are few and far between.

Last year the new customer stream completely died out during the Summer, and it is now repeating itself this year. People are not shopping for lawn services when the grass is not growing.

tjsquickcuts
06-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I just picked up four lawns in this new neighborhood that TGCL was servicing and put down 36-3-10 on them, and the people dont have irrigation so you already can imagine whats happening to the lawn now. Plus, they are only allowed to water once a week. I will do my best at bring it back, but without much rain, I told them all that there is only so much I can do.....My biggest problem now are trees....I have had about 10 trees, from large to small to snap because they are so dry. Only good thing is, I have had just about all my weekends off, because haven't had to take a day or so off due to rain.

GTP
06-10-2007, 10:05 AM
It's almost come to a halt here in SE Georgia too. We did get a good rain 8 days ago and there seems to be little surge in the insect population. Also getting some requests for bahia control. I hate it for some of the fert apps I did earlier on lawns without irrigation. Makes me want to consider turning down fert buisness where no irrigation is present in the future.

vegomatic40
06-10-2007, 10:19 AM
Drought here in middle Tn is getting pretty severe/moderately severe as well. Behind around 10-13" in rainfall with the new lawns without any shade protection and Fescue being affected the worst. Strong winds last week also contributing to drying out of turf and putting a "hurt on" new plant material installed last fall and this spring as well. Mcminnville Tn. is a huge area for growing Trees/Shrubs and the word is that they have been hit especially hard with a late March freeze (22 degrees) after a high of 85 in mid-March. Plant material is very, very stressed and I've heard rumors of some growers potentially applying for federal disaster relief. I saw a fancy lace-leaf Jap. Maple that I installed for a customer about 3 yrs. ago that was over 6' tall and currently has less than 30% of the crown that appears to be alive. Other sensitive plant materials with shallow root systems damaged as well. At least with less humidity I've had almost zero problems with Brown Patch that normally hammers Fescue this time of year.

carcrz
06-10-2007, 10:20 AM
drought? I've had at least 1 day a week of mowing in the rain for the last 2 months. I'm just now getting caught up on my chemical apps & landscape installs.

Grass Cake
06-10-2007, 10:37 AM
drought? I've had at least 1 day a week of mowing in the rain for the last 2 months. I'm just now getting caught up on my chemical apps & landscape installs.

Not trying to be a smarty but it doesn't sound like
your in a drought!:hammerhead:

Thanks for rubbing the weekly rain in our noses
though.(mine is full of dust)

Grass Cake
06-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Looks like we might see some rain this week TU!

Keep your appendages crossed:drinkup: