PDA

View Full Version : Who loves their little mower?

IA_James
06-09-2007, 07:29 PM
How many people on here use a less than 48" mower for their primary cutting machine? Do you make a niche of "smaller" lots? Or people with fences? Do you get deck envy? Any of the guys with the bigger mowers kick themselves for not buying a 32" once in a while?

sildoc
06-09-2007, 08:05 PM
my little mowers get used just as much as the large ones. My 36" is 4 years old and has well over 3000 hrs on it. I have had 5 21" in that time and now a new 26". I did, well yesterday, buy a new 52" Lazer HP. It will take the place of some of the 36" properties.

lawnboy dan
06-09-2007, 09:00 PM
i couldnt do 3 of my accounts with out my 32.

instyle
06-09-2007, 09:06 PM
90 percent of myu work is with 21's. I loove tyhe look. I can use the 48's on some but people here love the stripe of a 21.

Lynden-Jeff
06-09-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a 32 and I hate it! lol. Well I don't hate it, I just never use it. Seems if I use anything its a 21 or else I get atleast our 48 hydro on it.

Cheers
Jeff

topsites
06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
My small mower is the 48" :laugh:

No, I've never had deck envy, thou I do wish the 48" was as capable in the straights of high speeds as the Z,
I guess it's just too dangerous on a velke.

I have considered once or twice to get a smaller machine, but it takes longer, and I can already see the argument about I can't charge extra just because of THAT. No, I am not buying another specialty machine, not even if it's a mower, that's just another piece of equipment will sit around most of the time, much as I'd like to say it wouldn't... The ONLY specialty machine that's on the list is a compact tractor, that's it, no more.

I'll consider a 44" if the price is right, but I like the lighter weight of the fixed deck, and afaik Toro has never made a 44" fixed, all 44's are floats, only the 48" is a fixed deck, the 52" is also a float. I don't personally think the 52" gets more done than the 48", I think the 48" is as fast as it gets in small machines.

One thing I did notice, the 48" is the largest deck that will still fit through most 4-foot single gates.
Once you get a 52", there exist very few single gates it will fit through.

Grits
06-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I bought a 32 this year. I wasn't sure if it was going to get enough use to warrant buying it. But I am now glad I bought it. I am able to pick up more yards with tight gates that I avoided or had to do with a 21" and that wastes time. It amazes me at times that some people have very large backyards with a tiny gate that the 32 barely fits through.

LindblomRJ
06-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I like the 32" you can get through a lot of gates and still cover a decent amount of ground in a somewhat timely manner.

Equipment decsions should be based on who and what type of lawns you desire to service. What works for you and your business.

patterson
06-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Granted, mowing is not the lion's share of my business, but I love my 36". I have added a 48" walk behind for a couple very large properties, but still use the 36 for the formal areas.

Who says you can't charge more because it takes longer? If you're creating a niche, try the one I seem to be falling into. Top quality properties with premium cuts. One of my customers went from being a $170 cut to a $270 cut after last year. I also do the fert & weed control and the only thing ever wrong with the estate was the ZTRs tearing hell out of the turf and the string edgers killing all the grass at the edges. With my 36, 48, and 21, the turf looks 100% better than when I was only treating and the superfast mowers were ripping it up. Sell the quality, the money will follow.

Mark in MD
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
My 32 is my bread and butter mower, and yes, I do have a niche for smaller jobs. I have a 36 but I never use it, it just sits in my shed. My 48 is my big machine.

I don't think you can really appreciate a 32 until you own one and start using one.

delphied
06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
I have a 44 Toro and its nice. I mow some acre lots with it and I need a bigger mower but will keep thew 44 for small stuff. Its in great shape but still not worth selling.

zz4guy
06-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I love my 36" Better Mower. It is a single hydro but does awesome.

The only problem I am running into is I need a bigger mower for some bigger accounts.

It litterally takes twice as long to do an open field with my 36" as it did w/my 48" ZTR.

My 36 is great for an entry level guy like myself since 90% of my properties are 5000sqft or so.