PDA

View Full Version : Best way to remove old gaskets

ninensei
06-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Best way to remove old, hardened, baked-on gaskets (carb, head, transmission, etc...)?

I'm thinking a plastic putty knife to keep from gouging the finished (aluminum) surfaces, plus some kind of liquid (special solvent? water?) to pre-soak the gasket.

Any better suggestions?

Let-it-mow!
06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
I use a steel gasket scraper. If the edge is flat, it won't gouge an aluminum surface as long as you don't try to use at too steep an angle.

Get an aerosol gasket stripper from the automotive store. Spray it on, wait 10 mintues and everything will be softer and easier to get off. Just don't get any on anything plastic, rubber, or painted.

Eric D
06-09-2007, 08:58 PM
What I have found works best for me is a rotary wire brush that fits into a drill motor. Instead of installing into a drill motor I place the shaft part into a file handle. Rubbing the gasket surface removes the old gasket quickly without worries of hurting the surface.

Eric D

topsites
06-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I use an old toothbrush and plenty carb cleaner, brake parts cleaner might work, like was said, some kinda solvent.

What I hate is the little pieces go everywhere, but I've scratched one too many surfaces, old toothbrush for me.