PDA

View Full Version : troybilt generator

ProMo
06-09-2007, 09:24 PM
my father bought a generator about three years ago and ran it for about 15 minutes then ran it out of gas. It wouldnt start the other day and didnt have any compression. I pulled the valve cover and the intake valve is stuck open, so I took it to my father in laws he is a small engine mechanic and we pulled the head off and there is a gouge in the cylinder. He thinks a ring is broke and the valve is bent and says you can see that this engine is still new. He believes this was a defective engine but it is out of warranty. Any idea what a new head and valve etc would run? its a b&s 10hpohv from lowes

Restrorob
06-09-2007, 09:35 PM
With the model and type numbers off the engine I can give you a exact price, But why do you want to replace the whole head for just a bent valve ?

Also, How does he know the valve is bent ? I have seen valves stick from sitting due to fuel varnish on the stem. Same with the carb throttle shaft.

Has he tried to remove it and clean the stem and guide with carb choke cleaner to cut the varnish ?

ProMo
06-09-2007, 09:42 PM
he didnt mess with the valve after seeing the condition of the cylinder it is deeply scratched were the ring rides at top of cylinder . The motor is so clean I dont think it has varnish i tried to move it and its stuck lol. I got these numbers sbsxs.3422ht and 276010

Restrorob
06-09-2007, 09:49 PM
The model and type numbers are stamped in the side of the valve cover.

If this unit had any gas at all ran through it there is a good chance the valve is just gummed up. I have had to keep spraying and tapping back and forth to get them loose. Unless you can see that the head of the valve is bent crooked I still believe it's only gummed up.

ProMo
06-09-2007, 10:31 PM
ill have him look for the numbers tomorrow and check the valve.

ProMo
06-10-2007, 01:23 PM
he said the valve was definatly bent and he said the cylinder is so scoured were the ring rides at top of cylinder he cant do anything with it. he said it first looked like something went through the carb and may have bent the valve but there was no evidence of anything going through the piston has no markings etc. He also believes the ring came apart were it chewed into the cylinder he gave me these numbers
model 204412
type q1417e1
code 041215ye

Restrorob
06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Head complete with gaskets; 79.50
Engine block; 136.75
Piston with rings; 31.00
Side cover gasket; 2.25

I'm sure you can't get a short-block for the price of parts to repair the one you have and would still need a head.

Good Luck

ProMo
06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
are those retail prices ? my father in law can order them at the comany he works at (rsc equipment rental) said he would only have to pay what they are billed.

Restrorob
06-10-2007, 07:16 PM
That is suggested retail price from the Briggs PowerShop.

Just wondering, If he can get them for less than retail why ask pricing here ?

ProMo
06-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Just wondering, If he can get them for less than retail why ask pricing here ?

Thanks for the info I needed a rough estimate to let my dad know and told him we will take care of it for him. He was a little upset that he only ran it 1 time. Ill let you know how it goes and try to get some pics of the damage.

ProMo
06-24-2007, 08:42 AM
ended up getting a short block and valves and all is well.Cost him 300 dollars.