PDA

View Full Version : (pics) Estimate for landscaping

RedMax Man
06-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I want to see what others would charge for this work. I don't want to bid to low or to high. I just want some opinions and estimates before i submit mine.

job will include:

Edge walkway, bed perimeter, and larger circle around tree.

Prune low branches on tree.

Remove 2 shrubs that can't really be seen and are dying behind one of the Rhododendrons. Remove 2 low growing ugly evergreen shrubs.

Trim and of the hedges and shrubs. 17 total

Remove ld plastic edging and cleanup beds

cleanup raised bed around flag pole

Install 4 yd. of natural hemlock mulch.

... That basically everything they want done.

Pictures of the property:

DSLND
06-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Wow, wish i was getting some jobs like that. How long do you think it would take you alone? For me, i could be in and out in one or one and a half days, i would say work 8:00am - 6:00pm so ten hour day, time one and a half so total of fifteen hours. But remember this is being on the high side and I am a one man crew. So fifteen hours, and i would want to average around $30/Hour on this type of job but may jump it up to $35 an hour being it is a clean up and will be harder on equipment. So $35/Hour times fifteen hours equals $525.00. Then if you have to haul away the debris then i'd charge $25-$50 depending on the amount of debris. So in my range, your looking at $600 job. But depending on actual size, labor rate, labor, etc. Just a rough estimate in my book. Take what you want to make per hour and times it by the estimated number of hours it will take. Remember when presenting this information that you have presented the price to be on the high side and that it is higher than what it may cost and depending on total expenses the bid could come in under budget. Hope this helps!! -Mitch-

Lawnworks
06-09-2007, 11:27 PM
500-700 gross labor... plus materials. Looks like about 10 man hours of work.

EJD Lawnpride
06-10-2007, 08:44 AM
4yds. mulch/edge/clean-up x 85 = $340
trim bushes: $225
Total: $565

NewHorizon's Land
06-10-2007, 08:53 AM
I would say that the prices gieven are close. Also remember to tell them its an ESTIMATE not a QUOTED PRICE.

Lawnworks
06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
I would say that the prices gieven are close. Also remember to tell them its an ESTIMATE not a QUOTED PRICE.

Why wouldn't you be able to "quote" them a price? This is a simple job...

RedMax Man
06-10-2007, 10:31 AM
Why wouldn't you be able to "quote" them a price? This is a simple job...

I would just quote a price for this type work. Otherwise i might look unconfident in my ability.

I guess i was thinking high. At first i was est. a little over $900
But i keep going over my numbers and now i'm at around $700.

What do you think? anyone. It would def. take a full day. theres alot of work. And i don't like skimping on quality.

I figured the same price for the trimming. $225
Mulch would cost $180

How much per foot of edging?

Uranus
06-10-2007, 11:04 AM
RMM- I came up with $885.

Rough breakdown

$100 for all the edging
$50 for pruning the tree
$50 for the removing the bushes. 25 each.
$300 for the bush trimming
$100 for removal and disposal of plastic edging
$25 for the flagpole weeding
$260 for the mulch.

Or you can price it at 10 hours X $50 per hour plus cost of mulch and disposal fees

$500 labor + $180 for mulch + $80 disposal = $760

I would price it right at $800. Your not in a poor area of the country/state. The only thing with the first price is it is biring you close to the $1000 dollar range. Not many people would want to pay 1K for the work they need. I think If you keep it in the $750-$800 you should be able to secure the job and still make some nice money. Good luck.

sandman23
06-10-2007, 11:11 AM
$800 firm. That's a lot of work for a solo. It would take me 1 1/2 to 2 days plus material cost. I learned the hard way not to underestimate. It is simply not worth my time to do it for any less.

tjsquickcuts
06-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Why not ask what kind of budget they have....and if they stall or say I am not sure, then say I have a few different options ranging from say $650 for something basic, up to around 2k for something that will give your landscape a prize winning design and add tons of curb appeal. Most people will settle for something in the middle. Not all, but most people really dont know how much a quality landscape job really cost and just need to be educated. But I would say that would be around $800 to $1000 bucks or work.

RedMax Man
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
RMM- I came up with $885.

Rough breakdown

$100 for all the edging
$50 for pruning the tree
$50 for the removing the bushes. 25 each.
$300 for the bush trimming
$100 for removal and disposal of plastic edging
$25 for the flagpole weeding
$260 for the mulch.

Or you can price it at 10 hours X $50 per hour plus cost of mulch and disposal fees

$500 labor + $180 for mulch + $80 disposal = $760

I would price it right at $800. Your not in a poor area of the country/state. The only thing with the first price is it is biring you close to the $1000 dollar range. Not many people would want to pay 1K for the work they need. I think If you keep it in the $750-$800 you should be able to secure the job and still make some nice money. Good luck.

Thanks, I think its funny how we always seem to have very similar prices. Your breakdown is very close to mine, give or take a few dollars on each thing.
I figured 10hrs. also plus mulch. At first i was going to break everything down into each section with the price but now i thing i will just list the jobs and have a cost for the labor etc. and cost for material and put them together for the total. At first i was figuring around the 1k range but then i started looking at my numbers closely and saw that not all of the work wuld take that long and what homeowner is going to pay the much to spruce up there landscape.
$800 firm. That's a lot of work for a solo. It would take me 1 1/2 to 2 days plus material cost. I learned the hard way not to underestimate. It is simply not worth my time to do it for any less.
Yes i know its alot of work but i'm pretty efficiant and have the right tools. I know my ability and time well and if i get the job i'll most likely bring in a helper. thanks for the heads up.

NewHorizon's Land
06-10-2007, 06:49 PM
As simple as it may be you never know when you will run across something that ends up taking the price up

RedMax Man
06-11-2007, 10:10 AM
SOLD:)

Brought my Estimate to the customer yesterday evening.
I'm charging $600 for all labor and $180 for the mulch which is the only material. Total = $780
I got it signed and a $180 deposit for the mulch. There are no waste or removal fees since all debris can be dumped on site.

Thanks guys.