PDA

View Full Version : DOT number for LCO's ?

SEALAWNMANAGEMENT
06-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Does anyone have a DOT number for there pick ups that they use to pull the mowing equipment with? I was getting fuel this morning and a guy who has a bobcat service here in town told me to watch out because he got pulled over last week and received 3 citations. One for no DOT number on the truck. One for not having the trailer licensed and one for not having a CDL Physical. Cop told him that someone had an accident the other day and hurt some people and they were going to crack down on the landscapers and lawn care people.

outlaw1960
06-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Out here you have to have a dot number on your truck, or trailer if your gvw is over 10,000 lbs. The dot number can be on the trailer if that is what put you over the weight limit. Also you have to have your company name on the truck or trailer if you are over 10k.....hope that helps

Garagedude
06-10-2007, 01:28 AM
In Ky you don't need DOT or CDL or phys. If you were hauling a botcat which weighs around 6,000 depending on bucket size, and a heavy trailer and truck you might need dot numbers, but you won't weigh that much with lawn equipment.

Garagedude
06-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Also, you will need tags for your trailer. In Ky. if your NON business no plates are required, but if its business you should get it tagged.

MDLawnman
06-10-2007, 08:04 AM
If Kentucky has agreed to enforce federal DOT regulations (and most States have) you will need a DOT number on your truck, a medical certificate, fire extinguisher & triangles in the truck as well as extra fuses for the electrical system. These rules take effect if the truck & trailer combined have a gross vehicle registered weight of 10,000lbs or more. Look on the door frame of your truck for the manufacturers vehicle weight. My half ton pickup has a GVRW of 6400lbs. My 16 foot trailers is 7000lbs so I need all of the above. If a LCO has a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, almost anything that is towed behind it for commercial reasons will make the combination over the 10,000lb limit.

When I looked into this the police gave me a book for free with instructions on how to comply. The DOT number (for MD) was free. The medical card was $15 with my co-pay.

Don't guess - call your local police and get the straight information. IN WRITING! Again the manufacturers GVRW is what is used to determine the 10,000lb rule - not how much your lawnmower weighs on the trailer. Your truck by itself is probably OK. When a trailer is hooked to it most likely it is over the 10,000lb limit.

The fines here in MD are high for each violation ($1,000 a pop) I don't know what they would be in Ky.

bohiaa
06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
A few weeks ago, I posted about the cops taking there equiptment, there were 2 black boys " 20 - 27 years old " I seen them around town cutting. they had a small truck, small ztr, a few line trimmers and such, nothing too big. well I seen the cops towing there equiptment away,
ever sence I have been trying to find out why, but havent yet,,, it never came out in the paper or anything, But I'm thinking something like DOT numbers, of something simular,

rodfather
06-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Don't guess - call your local police and get the straight information. IN WRITING!

I tried that once...they didn't have the faintest idea. :dizzy:

Fordsuvparts
06-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Ok now that you have had several people tell you what they think they know I will tell you the correct process in Kentucky. First off you have to have a commercial insurance policy on you truck, trailer and equipment, second any trailer used for a business in the state of KY has to be taggedwith commercial plates. You need to have a medical card and you better have a fire extinguisher & triangles in both your trucks. If you are going to be transporting your bobcat you should have a dot # on any truck bigger than a half ton. This rule applies even more so if you are going out of state. The dot are a lot stricter once you get past lexington, and the farther south you go the more headaches. We have been stopped in E-town, Bowling green and near fort Knox and a few times near louisville. The DOT will check the weight of the trailer and check the tag in the door for the maximum towing weight. IF you are pulling a tag trailer for the bobcat you will be over weight. I enclosed a picture of one of my truck that the dot inspected and approved.

GrassBustersLawn
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree with what MDLawnman said for the details. Not hard to get a DOT #, just have to apply & provide Proof of Insurance.

YES, they (police) can take you "out of service" on the spot if you don't comply. In INDIANA you have to have BRAKES on ALL AXLES as well as a Break-away kit.

IF you are IN BUSINESS, it is just a COST of DOING BUSINESS. If you're going to do it, DO IT RIGHT. If not, I've got no sympathy for cheaters that are too cheap to follow the rules and put MY SAFETY and everyone else on the road's safety in jeopardy.

Mike

Garagedude
06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Gentleman. He doesn't have the bobcat. The man he was talking to does. If he has a truck with a rollback or no trailer he can weight up to 26,000 lbs. without class a. If he has a trailer, he has to stay under 10,000 with load. Being in business is a pain sometimes

Fordsuvparts
06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Hey garagedude check his signture he does have a case skid steer!!!!

GrassBustersLawn
06-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Gentleman. He doesn't have the bobcat. The man he was talking to does. If he has a truck with a rollback or no trailer he can weight up to 26,000 lbs. without class a. If he has a trailer, he has to stay under 10,000 with load. Being in business is a pain sometimes

What EQUIPMENT you have (or may or maynot be hauling) is not a factor. IF you have a COMBINATION GVWR of over 10,000 lbs (truck GVWR + trailer GVWR) you need to have a DOT # and meet the requirements (Physical, triangles, 5 lb fire extinguisher, electric brakes w/breakaway, DOT # & signage, etc.). When over 26,000 lbs you are into another level of requirements, such as the CDL licenses, etc. Anyone pulling a tandem axle trailer for business (7k GVWR) is going to need a DOT #, whether you have a bobcat on it or a 21" push mower doesn't matter. It is pretty simple, but people can keep coming up with excuses why the RULES don't apply to them! They are in place to make the roads a little safer for everyone that uses them.

Mike

Garagedude
06-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks Fordsuv. didn't see that. I'm glad all this doesn't apply to me.

sprayboy
06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

You should be able to find answers at that website.

Grassbuster:

You have got it right, a friend of mine is strictly a motor carrier officer with the state police. He has given me a lot of info on this subject. He is usually set up at trade shows around indy to educate people in our business about the laws.

I am not sure on how other states enforce the laws but I believe it is a Federal Law. If you come to Indiana from another state, you better have the numbers, medical card, ect if you fall under the weights listed above. A kid in this town thought he was above the law and would not comply with the reg's, he ended up with 13 tickets one day. I never did here the dollar value.

You should be able to call you State Police Motor Carrier Division in any state to find out the laws. The local license branch usually has info also.

HFS
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
The DOT here in my area routinely teams up with multiple locals and do huge roadside inspections. I've noticed from personal experience that it pays to go above and beyond with the safety gear and compliance. Like most areas its based on combined GVW of 10k lbs here. I don't need to have a DOT number or a health card, but I have one and they love to see that. I don't need to have as in-depth of a daily vehicle check list, but again they love to see that. And let me tell you what; I love it when they cut you a huge free-bee on that B.S. item that they could of stuck you with but can see your safety minded. On a side note: It's those fuel cans and unsecured loads that seem to be the catch-all for them around here. LATER...