PDA

View Full Version : Phazer Trivantage 44 vs Miniz XR7 42

Sugarridge
06-10-2007, 12:48 AM
In comparing these machines the Miniz seems a bit more stout and has the Kai engine. However, how does the 4" XR7 deck compare to the 5" Trivantage in mulching and cut quality? Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Sugarridge
06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
bump
I know many of you guys prefer the Gravely 44Z and the Scag Z-cat 42 because of the separate pumps/motors and just the overall construction, however, you pay for all of that with 830 lbs and 860 lbs respectively compared to the 44 Phazer at 610 lbs and the Mini Z 42 at 675 lbs. That is a lot of extra weight for that 19 hp kawa to tote around and a lot less power that goes to the business end of the machine. Not to mention the extra wear and tear on tight gate entry yards. Consequently, I have narrowed my selection to the 44 Phazer or the Mini Z 42. I really like the yellow machine but I just am afraid of the 4" deck. So I know of no other place to go than you guys for your professional and first hand knowledge of these machines. I know you are out there. Thanx.

Bigray
06-10-2007, 01:59 PM
i am sold on exmark products, period.
my consideration would be SUPPORT/location from my dealer

bluetick
06-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I guess I’m a hustler man see’ins how I own two of them now. I have a 42” fast track that does a real good job and a 54” Super Z that once I get lined out should cut pretty. The one thing I will say about the XR7 deck is that it is awesome in wet grass. I was mowing in the rain last sat. on a every other week job. So two week old St.Augustine in the rain and not one clump. It was unbelievable. My fast track would have left clumps the size of pumpkins.
Like Bigray said though, get the one that you think has the dealer that will best help and serve you. Demo both if you can. I don’t think the deck on the hustler will be a problem for you though. Especially if most of your better lawns are St.Augustine, Bermuda. and Centipede like I think there would be in Florida.

God Bless
Shawn

LCPullman
06-10-2007, 06:28 PM
I run a couple of Hustler's 36" wide by 4" deep decks (similar design to the 42"). For the normal cool season grass I cut, it works really well. I bag and side-discharge and even when its wet, it does a very good job.
On my decks, I remove the front baffle (between the two blades) during the wet season, as this greatly reduces grass build-up on the deck.
I really haven't had any experience with the Exmark decks or with mulching. But I am quite pleased with the performance of the Hustler decks.

nmurph
06-11-2007, 08:35 AM
that is not an xr-7 deck on the mz.

Sugarridge
06-11-2007, 11:36 AM
You are correct nmurph, it is not a XR-7 deck per se, but for some unknown reason Hustler has labeled it as such. That is why I am asking for feedback on its performance from anyone who has actually used it or has spoken with someone who has firsthand knowledge of its cut quality and capabilities. The Hustler moderator on their site indicated to me that it will mulch as good or even better than 3 blade decks as long as the grass is mowed on a regular basis. Well we all know what that implies! Consequently, I am throwing it out to you guys. Again, the machine is considerably more stout than the Phazer, but its the deck that I am worried about. I know what I have with the 44" Trivantage deck which came off of the 48" TT.

jameson
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=177268&highlight=mini+phazer

Post #3:

I started last season with the Hustler Mini Z 42; sold it after a month or so.
I had some issues with the mulch kit hitting the blades. The quality of cut was hit and miss. Had problems with the deck hanger linkage brackets bending and popping the link-shaft out. The brackets and linkage are made like the Mini Fastrack - not strong enough for day to day use. I purchased the Exmark Phazer 44. The quality of cut was night and day with the mulch kit - 3 blades vs. two, individual chambers instead of one. The deck mounting was stronger. Although the Phazer had a little smaller tire, and no canister filter, (which Kawasaki now has available), the quality of cut, and overall performance blew the Mini Z away. I used the Phazer for the rest of the season and a couple of weeks this season, I had zero problems or issues with the Phazer and would highly recommend it for someone needing a sub-compact ztr. I sold it last week and purchased the Phazer 34 for my gated properties, and the Lazer Z AS 52 for the others. This combo works great for my needs. Both of my dealers are the best in the area, but the machine speaks for itself. If you have any questions on either machine, ask away.

Wolfbass
06-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I have the Mini-z 36", I don't know if it's the same deck as the 44"--but I give the 36" deck say a B+. The only thing keeping it from an A is a clumping problem in wet grass--otherwise keep the blades sharp and it cuts great. I checked out the Phazer as well, and you are definately correct about the hustler being much more "stout".
Oh, BTW, don't know how it bags, the vast majority of my properties are mulched, with a few side discharged.

Quality Cuts PLS
06-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the quote Jameson, I was going to restate that info for Sugarridge.
I have owned the 36 & 42 Hustler Mini Z, and the 34 & 44 Exmark Phazer. IMO the Exmark quality of cut is so much better. I have found the regular 19 to be stronger than the KAI 19, I also added the Kawisaki Canister Kit to mine - worth every penny vs. the stock setup or the KAI filter. Some of the Hustler deck components are too weak for commercial use; Hustler & the rep was not interested in my opinion & experience in that matter. The cut just did not impress, my customers even said something about it. The Exmark deck is deeper and chambered with the mulch kit - much better cut. The Phazer gives many the impression of not being built as well as the Hustler, but it is. The Hustler had a little smoother controls, a little less jarring ride due to the bigger tires; but I changed my seat to the standard Lazer EVS seat and solved that problem. In the last season and current season, zero problems or issues. Bottom line for me, the Phazer works great and cuts better. I really tried to like the Hustler, but I keep going back to what works - EXMARK!

Sugarridge
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Thank you QualityCutPls, your coprehensive review tells me exactly what I need to know. I was leaning toward the Phazer to begin with but just was not sure and the Mini Z is $300 less in our area. Should of known better because I have had absolutely no probs with my XS 66" Kubota diesel. Thanks aqain for all of your insights. Oh, btw the best price for a Phazer 44 in my area is $4800. How are all these other guys getting them for $3900 to $4000 ?

hdhillin
06-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Possibly the $3900 to $4000 are last years models. This was an informative post. THANKS!

Quality Cuts PLS
06-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Exmark ran a special on the Phazer 44 last season for $3995.95. It was a great deal on a great mower. I think Exmark made a big mistake to suspend production of the 44 Phazer.