PDA

View Full Version : Stilhl or Echo?

MOWnGO Lawncare
06-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Went and priced equipment yesterday.

The salesperson clearly favored the stihls, but that could be due to a commission advantage for him. I know both brands are good.

I also want to go with the Honda commercial mower.

The salesperson said standard business discount is 5%, but if I did a package deal and purchased multiple pieces of equipment then he could go 6%.

What do you think?

Lynden-Jeff
06-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Me and my partner argue about this all the time. I am an echo fan. However I have not really had any direct experience with stihl. I like echo equipment alot and its also quite a bit cheaper around here and I seem to get the same quality.
For example I just purchased a new 755 blower for $650 where a BR-600 is around $800. Not to mention stihl backpacks are the ugliest things I have ever seen (not that looks really matter but still). Dealer support would probably be my number one deciding factor and if your dealer supports both it would be price.

Cheers
Jeff

Prestige-Lawncare
06-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Me and my partner argue about this all the time. I am an echo fan. However I have not really had any direct experience with stihl. I like echo equipment alot and its also quite a bit cheaper around here and I seem to get the same quality.
For example I just purchased a new 755 blower for $650 where a BR-600 is around $800. Not to mention stihl backpacks are the ugliest things I have ever seen (not that looks really matter but still). Dealer support would probably be my number one deciding factor and if your dealer supports both it would be price.

Cheers
Jeff

I like STIHL ... but I know guys who like their Echo stuff equally as well. A lot of it is personal preference ... dealer ... and sometimes just because of good or bad experience in the past. I can remember I had a homeowners model STIHL trimmer probably 25 years ago ... and I loved that thing! Never ever had any problems at all, and it was actually pretty comfortable to use. It seemed like it lasted forever ... and never had a problem one. I take that back ... the gas cap broke on it probably after 10 years of use. Now I use STIHL commercial all the way and am 100% happy with them.

Jeff ... I read your price of $800., and then I saw your are in Canada. Stuff is high up there, isn't it!

Dave

Lynden-Jeff
06-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I like STIHL ... but I know guys who like their Echo stuff equally as well. A lot of it is personal preference ... dealer ... and sometimes just because of good or bad experience in the past. I can remember I had a homeowners model STIHL trimmer probably 25 years ago ... and I loved that thing! Never ever had any problems at all, and it was actually pretty comfortable to use. It seemed like it lasted forever ... and never had a problem one. I take that back ... the gas cap broke on it probably after 10 years of use. Now I use STIHL commercial all the way and am 100% happy with them.

Jeff ... I read your price of $800., and then I saw your are in Canada. Stuff is high up there, isn't it!

Dave

Yea nothings cheap here. I see you guys paying 5-6000 for a zero turn and im paying 10-12000 easy lol.

Cheers
Jeff

Grits
06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I like Echo. But it comes down to dealer support. If your dealer sells both then it is a price thing.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I like stihl, even though I don't own one my dad has one that he has had for years and I love it. I have never used echo but imo they are equally as good. I would go with price and dealer support.

metro36
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
I perfer echo mainly because the dealer is awesome. Both brands make good products. I would chose a brand based on the dealer.

justanotherlawnguy
06-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Echo trimmer, edger, and blower's. Stihl's 4 cycle stuff blows. I bought a FS90 last year and I would love to throw that think out of the back of my truck doing about 90 down the interstate. Echo's 260 is far better!!!! But that is just my experience and my 2 cents....

If your buying a chainsaw, then Stihl all the way.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 03:12 AM
I own both, but prefer Stihl. Better customer service and better quality product.

J&T Kiev
06-11-2007, 03:22 AM
Both Echo, and Stihl make high quality equipment. Both have a substantial presence in my area, invariably, walk into any power equipment showroom around here the dealer sells both . I have some of both brands, but I'm in the process of going all Stihl(with the exception of backpack blowers, I'm going all Redmax backpacks) I like the fuel economy, and power of the Stihl four mix engine. The only problem's I've had with the four mix , an ignition coil on one of the FS110's I bought in 2005 . My Stihl trimmers, stick edgers, hedge trimmers have all performed flawlessly and bullet proof, as do the two cycle trimmers and chainsaw's I use.

irishsoul
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Echo trimmer, edger, and blower's. Stihl's 4 cycle stuff blows. I bought a FS90 last year and I would love to throw that think out of the back of my truck doing about 90 down the interstate. Echo's 260 is far better!!!! But that is just my experience and my 2 cents....

If your buying a chainsaw, then Stihl all the way.

I have the multi-tool with the fs-90 power plant and I love it --- the articulating hedge trimmer I got for it comes straight from the bowels of hell; there's nothing it can't go thru! I love mine, maybe you got a "Friday" made unit. I've never used Echo but from the sound of it they have a pretty good product. I guess that dealer support is what it comes down to. Love my Stihl multi tool and backpack!