PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Glenn Landscaping FORD OR TOYOTA

mr.glenn
06-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I Need A New Truck, Currently All My Equip. Is Gas Powered, 2 Z-turn Mowers, Small Tractor, 18' Dual Axle Trailer And A 05 F-150. I Can Not Make-up My Mind Between A F-250/350 Diesel Or A New Tundra Crewmax. I Drove Both And They Are Awesome. The Truck Will Also Be My Daily Driver. Any Input Guys?

treadlite
06-10-2007, 10:20 AM
go with the ford..... better, stronger truck that's made to work for a living. The Toyota is a well-built, reliable truck for someone who needs a car that will occasionally haul a small load. the diesel in the ford will give you the same or better fuel economy as the toyota, will last longer as a work truck, will haul any trailer you'll ever have as your business expands and you'll feel (and look) more like a man driving the ford. Real men don't drive toyota trucks!!

BPC
06-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I would say Ford. One of the companies I worked for used all F250's for their maintenance crews and they looked and ran great.

HenryB
06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
If your trailer weight will not exceed the Tundra's towing capacity you'd be a fool not to buy the Toyota. I've owned too many Ford's in my life and I know them in and out. The Toyo's will last longer nicer ride and resale on them is insane. Guys sell them after two years for $2000 less than they paid new. I think with Ford's new CEO and re-org they'll have some really good trucks in a couple of years just not yet.

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-10-2007, 11:32 AM
First post on this site, long time lurker.:waving: Go with the Ford, I was a mechanic (Dodge=job security) for many years. The new Tundra's are overated junk, they are tossing camshafts faster than Toyota can build new ones. Catastrophic engine failures are not uncommon, they have high resale because real men that work don't buy Toyota's.:nono: Go with the stroke and don't look back. Hello All:drinkup:

SilkKnitter
06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Well if you won't buy a Chevy go with the Ford hands down! I really hope your kidding about using a Toyota for a work truck!

stroker51
06-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah go with the Ford. I know a guy who traded his 2000 F350 PSD on a new Toyota, just because at 150K he had had to replace an auto tranny, couple sets of brakes, and some other stuff, so he thought he had a lemon:hammerhead: Anyway he has a 12' dump trailer and a 773 skid steer, and I know he hasn't hooked up to that yet, but when he does i know he'll want his "lemon" 'stroke back. I drive a 96 F250 Powerstroke everyday pulling my 18' trailer with a mid z, 54" Stander, and a 36" walk behind, 2 21's, trimmers, blowers, etc. Anyway, I wound up next to a new toyota at a light the other day pulling a little bitty kubota tractor and we both got into our trucks pretty hard, it wasn't even a contest, my 11 year old 'stroke with 200K waxed this new big time work truck toyota. If you want power and a truck you can grow into, i.e. pull bigger stuff, get the Powerstroke.

Tim Wright
06-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes Yes, Get the Duramax!!! LOL

Tim

Mike Blevins
06-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I would go with a Duramax also, just because the 0% interest Chevrolet is offering and also a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Ford is just 60,000 miles. Thats me, not you. If I were you and my only choices were Ford or Toyota I would wait for Toyota to come out with a 3/4 ton deisel and by it. All of the above trucks have parts that are built places other than the USA. Is the Bashing on here because they are "built" in Japan or have foreign parts on them? If so then what kinda engines to you run on your equipment? Kawasaki? Honda?

hosejockey2002
06-10-2007, 02:55 PM
It's hard to compare the two because they are not at all the same class of vehicle. Like all 1500 series pickups, the Tundra is primarily a passenger vehicle with a cargo area, albeit one with a powerful drivetrain. The 250/2500 series and larger trucks are designed more with hauling and towing in mind. You can tow a large heavy trailer AND carry heavy cargo at the same time without exceeding your rear axle limits. Not so with the 1500 series trucks. If Toyota built a 2500 series WORK TRUCK (not some cowboy Cadillac) with either their 5.7 V8 or a diesel that was competively priced I would be all over it.

snoope
06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Mr.Glenn,

You are not comparing 2 of the same class....that is like comparing a Hino against "This Duramax" 1 tons......no comparison and 4 year warranty on the Hino ( Toyotas OTHER truck:waving: :waving: ).........

And for all of you knocking Toyota,look at the investment they just put into Texas.......the 3/4 and 1 tons are on their way and if you question Diesel POWA..just look at their big brother HINO...

Traffic light drag races with a diesel vs gas......come on my "Bulldog" would "SMOKE" a 366 or 427 gas big block 10 wheeler......reality must come in somewhere RIGHT:cool2: :cool2: .....

Everyone have a good week....I know I will after reading some of this "Comedy"......

Snoope back quiet

gavin478
06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Ford's currently in the middle of a lawsuit with the manufacturer of their diesels, so their future is uncertain. Toyota is also in talks with Caterpillar, which could supply a diesel for thier new trucks. Also, GM is in the process of developing a small, fuel efficient V6 duramax. I would stick it out for another year and see what happens. I know the F250/350's are great, as are the Dodge Cummins, and the Sierra/Silverado with the Duramax and Allison transmisson is a awesome combination. Good Luck

stroker51
06-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Supposedly Ford is going to develope their own diesel and sever ties with international/navistar in the next couple years, this is just what I've heard. As far as my 'stroke smokin the toyota, I know my 'stroke will/should wax it with a load, or empty, as you rightfully point out as obvious, as was my point that for pulling, that full size Toyota just doesn't compare to any or the 3/4 or 1 ton diesels. This other guy just didn't grasp that concept apparently:hammerhead:

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Well if you won't buy a Chevy go with the Ford hands down! I really hope your kidding about using a Toyota for a work truck!

I agree. Have you drove the duramax/allison combo. HOLY $HIT...hang on!! If not a Chevy, find a Ford with the old 7.3L. The newer 6.0's are a pile of worthless cowdung, not anything like the old 7.3!!!

salopez
06-11-2007, 06:45 AM
Just an FYI...I heard that Toyota might be recalling all the 5.7 v8's. Not sure of the problem though.....

lawnboy dan
06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
i am currently using my tundra as my chevy is broken down!

Frontier-Lawn
06-11-2007, 01:23 PM
i would say get this oneif you were to go ford.

2008 Super Duty

mr.glenn
06-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks For The Input, I Do Believe The Ford Is The Way To Go, And For You Chevy Lovers, Sorry, I Will Never Own Another Anything Made By General Motors. I Am Not Going To Get Burned Again With One Of Their P.o.s.

LindblomRJ
06-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks For The Input, I Do Believe The Ford Is The Way To Go, And For You Chevy Lovers, Sorry, I Will Never Own Another Anything Made By General Motors. I Am Not Going To Get Burned Again With One Of Their P.o.s.

I have owned and operated both Ford and Chevrolet. I think you chose wisely.

SilkKnitter
06-11-2007, 07:26 PM

Chevy P.O.S. wtf is that? You must have just thought is was a Chevy.

Chevy/GMC is the best. Next comes Ford. All the others are poop!

cpel2004
06-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Mr. Glenn that's a poor question to ask, your comparing a gas truck to a diesel truck. I would recommend that you give your needs a little more thought. Your talking about two different classes of vehicles.

hosejockey2002
06-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Mr. Glenn that's a poor question to ask, your comparing a gas truck to a diesel truck. I would recommend that you give your needs a little more thought. Your talking about two different classes of vehicles.

I'm going to have to disagee there. A gas powered 250/2500 series pickup and a diesel of the same class will perform the same basic functions. Performance, economy, initial cost and durability are all up for debate with diesel the winner in some catagories and the gas in others, but when you boil down the basic functions of a pickup truck either one does the same job.

ysgi
06-12-2007, 12:27 AM
Get the Tundra.

It will NEVER let you down.

lawnboy dan
06-12-2007, 07:20 AM
i couldnt agree more! my pos chevy is always breaking down and my tundra-never

Dirty Water
06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Comparing a 1/2 ton Tundra to a 3/4 ton Ford Powerstroke?

If you were comparing a 1/2 ton Tundra to a F-150, I'd recommend the Toyota.

If you feel you need the extra capacity of the power stroke then get it.

This a really ******ed question.

ke5hbd
06-14-2007, 01:34 AM
I myself like the Ford in either the gas or diesel but the diesel with outlast the gas engine plus have more towing power without the heating problem of a gas engine.

I have towed with both gas and diesel Fords in auto wreckers and would not pass up buying the powerstroke and that environment is a real test to a truck when used as an auto wrecker.

The powerstroke is a good engine.

I'm not talking bad about the Toyota because I own and drive Toyota's and have had Ford/Dodges/Chevy/GMC and there's always the good and bad parts to them all.

Its your choice in the end what you buy but I Myself along with everyone else are just giving our input from our view and personal use.

Hope to see a pic of what ever you buy because in the end its yours to enjoy.

Greybeard
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Anybody priced the new diesel Strokes? All that new technology, afterburners, etc. added about $6 - $7000 on top of the price of the diesel, which is a $6000 option to begin with. For an extra $12,000, you'd better be running a whole lotta miles every year to make up the difference. The V8 and V10 gassers are very good engines, and they can tow at their max rated payload without a problem. I've gone cross-country with some heavy trailers behind my '00 F350 in brutal hot weather, and never overheated. It just turned 99K with zero engine or driveline repairs. I have friends with diesels who have spent thousands on simple stuff like glow plug controllers, pumps, rusted oil pans, batteries and starters, etc. The diesel is nice, but not a free lunch. Good luck with your choice. If I were buying new right now, mine would be another 5.4 gasser. Especially if most of the driving was local.

TXNSLighting
06-15-2007, 09:48 AM
the powerstroke is 6800 dollars not 12000 dollars. and the new duramax and cummins are the same. its sad, a dodge is now the same price as the ford and gmc. and still the cheaper built truck. sad...id go with a 250/350 powerstroke. you wont be dissapointed.

scag36
06-18-2007, 06:47 PM
CHEVY ALL THE WAY ...i have an 01 chevy 2500 6.0L V8 and that thing tows like nobody's buisness....my friend has had an 04 ford 150 tranny replaces2 times and the 08 f250 lariat and that thing is starting to fall apart ....chevy is also a 100 times smoother ride, if you go with a diesel/allison trans it is a beautiful combo also it has the most hp out of any of the fullsize trucks right now 385 goin strong

TXNSLighting
06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
i highly doubt an 08 f 250 is falling apart. ford is one very well built vehicle. and chevys are ok, they are now just ugly as crap.

02DURAMAX
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
the powerstroke is 6800 dollars not 12000 dollars. and the new duramax and cummins are the same. its sad, a dodge is now the same price as the ford and gmc. and still the cheaper built truck. sad...id go with a 250/350 powerstroke. you wont be dissapointed.

NO... A duramax is a $7,200 option...:hammerhead:

TXNSLighting
06-19-2007, 08:39 AM
excuse me...im 400 dollars off....