PDA

View Full Version : Would you switch brands because of your dealer?

IA_James
06-10-2007, 09:18 AM
If the dealer for your brand turns out to be a useless SOB instead of a source of support for parts and such, would you bail to something else? I had dealt with the Scag dealer here in town some, but not much. After having dealt with him a couple times now, I'm thinking that 65 miles to the next Scag dealer is nuts, and that the Everride mowers are looking pretty good. Especially being as how the Everride dealer is only another 1/2 mile down the road, and he actually does what he says he will, and is civil to the wife. Anybody else in this boat? Or had it happen in the past?

KS_Grasscutter
06-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I am in the process of changing brands and dealers. The main dealer I was dealing with is never right about anything nor can they fix anything. My neighbor here sells Toro and Kawasaki, so I am gonna start buying from them. Just wish we had a Walker dealer in town here...

captken
06-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I switched from Hustler to Exmark because of the dealer situation. The Exmark dealer is 1 mile away and is always open for me.

Yeah, I'll stick with them.

lawnboy dan
06-10-2007, 11:27 AM
i use toro and would not switch

rodfather
06-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I'll do whatever I have to do to make a living...no one is gonna prevent me from doing it either.

ed2150
06-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I bought my Hustler because I've known my dealer for many years........he only recently started selling mowers but his consistent good reputation is why I bought from him. Because of that, I'd buy just about whatever he decides to sell.

Dealer support is the most important thing to me; a bad dealer would cause me to go elsewhere faster than anything else.

Bigray
06-10-2007, 01:55 PM
i like to think that i buy support first and foremost.
my first purchase was a D/C from across town and every time it needed repaired here i go 50 min. to and from.
now i deal w/ a guy 15 to/from they take care of all their LCO'S has several demo's and chg's fair pricing.

Supertiger
06-10-2007, 03:03 PM
not only will i switch brands but if my dealer is a SOB, i will drive extra miles to do business with someone i like verses someone i dont. Most dealer can get any part for any brand so make some friends with the new dealer and he can service the brand you own even when its not the one he sells.

Grits
06-10-2007, 03:05 PM
I bought my Hustler because I've known my dealer for many years........he only recently started selling mowers but his consistent good reputation is why I bought from him. Because of that, I'd buy just about whatever he decides to sell.

Dealer support is the most important thing to me; a bad dealer would cause me to go elsewhere faster than anything else.

What he said.

Allens LawnCare
06-10-2007, 03:29 PM
If you moved would would switch baseball teams....you cut with a mower because you love everything about it.....if I moved to NY there is no way in hell I'd become a Yankees fan

HOOLIE
06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Sure I'd switch brands...whatever works better for me really. I'm not about to drive 65 miles for anything.

There's at least one 'mobile mechanic' around here that will come to you and pickup/dropoff your machine, very convenient and faster than the typical dealer here.

Dealer support is not something I consider much anymore...all the local dealers get swamped and tend to not have enough mechanics, so if you drop anything off it normally takes awhile to get it back. There is one dealer that has done me a few favors, but he's a bit out of my way so unless I'm desperate, I go to a closer dealer.

topsites
06-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I might, but after so many years I learned a few things... One is to never kick a dealer to the curb, you can make choices that affect how much time and money you spend there, but don't burn the bridge because you never know if the grass really is greener on the other side... Later still, even if you do find another dealer that is much better, you never know how long it will last, so never ever kick any dealer to the curb, you'll only pay for it if you ever need something from them again.

Because you just don't know, 4, 5, 8 or 10 years down the road, maybe the sweet dealer is gone one day and ooops the old dealer is still there, it is a bit of a rude awakening to have to go back there with tail between the legs.

Beyond that I find doing my own repairs worthwhile, I usually only go to the dealer for whole machine purchases, and a few odds and end in parts I can not get myself, but that's me. I find dealers a good resource for swapping some information, but the kind of information I ask for is hard to come by anymore, still they are usually more than willing to help someone with the simpler questions, most anytime.

That's the way I see things when I run my own business, customers may think I'm a bad guy until they try some other companies. Some to several are way better than I am, but where are they in 3-4 years? And what happens when, as a customer, someone tries to come back after they tried to throw me around is a very short story :laugh:

I shouldn't laugh, but it is funny, they kick you to the curb, you know, found someone cheaper or better...
1-2 years later they're back looking... I either laugh, or cry, so given the choice I try and laugh.

So it balances out, I try to find that happy medium.

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 06:09 PM
if the dealer is all out rude to me then yes i would switch, but if they are just slow or whatever then no i would keep them. its like building a relationship with your auto mechanic when you find a good one you better keep him,

LCPullman
06-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I might consider switching brands if a dealer was really bad. But I do all the service on my mowers and so as long as a dealer can get me parts on time, lets me do minor warranty work and gives me a good deal on the equipment I buy, I'm satisfied. As such, the durability of the mower means as much to me as the dealer. The less time the mower is down, the better.
I actually go about 80 miles to get the kind of deals I want on equipment. Any of the dealers close by couldn't sell it to me much under list and they don't really stock parts either.

Vikings
06-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Last two times I went to a certain Dealer (not the one I bought my Toro 36" from) I had to walk out. They are too busy and spend 15 minutes with each customer. Have to wait half an hour to get served.
I drove to a dealer that I hate and bought some blades things.. no line up there. The third dealer is on the other side of town so I only go there for big things.

gene gls
06-10-2007, 08:20 PM
If the dealer for your brand turns out to be a useless SOB instead of a source of support for parts and such, would you bail to something else? I had dealt with the Scag dealer here in town some, but not much. After having dealt with him a couple times now, I'm thinking that 65 miles to the next Scag dealer is nuts, and that the Everride mowers are looking pretty good. Especially being as how the Everride dealer is only another 1/2 mile down the road, and he actually does what he says he will, and is civil to the wife. Anybody else in this boat? Or had it happen in the past?

Dealer support and a good cutting mower go hand-n-hand. I bought an EverRide Worrior this spring, nice machine, cuts great, more torque than my Hustler.

coobie
06-10-2007, 08:50 PM
YES SIR,I would,and have done so.My previous dealer (ferris) ended up being a total a$$ over the last few years.I have spent at least $20,000 bucks between lawn and farm equipment at his place and that does not include the extra $30,000 grand folks i work with spent with him also.Some dealers just don,t get it I guess.How in the hell do these folks stay in business is beyond me?coobie:)

bigbone
06-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I personally wouldn't switch brands just because of a bad dealer. I would just switch dealers even if I had to drive 30 miles to have my mower worked on (which hopefully doesn't happen very often). I can buy parts and whatnot online.

Mow"N"Bud
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I use Snapper walk-behinds, and have a Snapper dealer here in my town, but he is a jerk, and an idiot, and I'm not the only one who feels this way. I drive another 30 miles to a near by town to go to that dealer. I totally understand.

Harrington Landscape
06-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I am in the same boat I have a dealer that I Buy everything from and he stinks. What ever it is from string trimmer and edger to zero turn riders. it falls apart or breaks I spend more time in fixing problems then mowing So i am moving to a different dealer and for parts I will drive to the next dealer to buy my parts.

mouse
06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I've switched brands from a mower that I mostly liked because there was a problem that they could not fix to my satisfaction. I also changed dealers for the Walker mowers that I use for my nice places because the first one (that was 15 miles closer) lied to me about a mower I bought from him. Whatever you do protect your income and don't burn to many bridges ( I still stop and visit with the first dealer).

fiveoboy01
06-10-2007, 10:55 PM
I'd make every attempt to keep the brand if I could find another dealer not TOO far away.

It would depend on what type of machinery we're talking about. Some brands are more readily available at most dealers, while some brands aren't.

Stillwater
06-11-2007, 02:09 AM
Yes i have done that Bailed on John deere years ago but I am useing john deere again

deereequipment
06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
they all break down.
I love my deere's but Deere's warranty sucks.
I bought a Gravely, and the dealer and bent over backwards to help me.

I am going to a Kubota dealer jsut to get some information on service and warranty.

There are differences in machines, but overall, they are designed to do the same thing. If they all get the job done, they I want to see what is most efficient, and what is most cost effective (parts, warranty, service work).

In the long run, you will be buying alot of equipment adn parts, so the dealer really should "service" you. Even if you are just a commercial lawn mower. (not just a home owner).

tallimeca
06-12-2007, 11:34 PM
would you switch brands because of your dealer...........???????

If you really liked the brand you were using, and weren't having many problems, then you probably wouldn't be at your dealer that much to worry about it.

If your personalities don't hit it off and you can't stand dealing with them, then your alternative is to deal with another dealer for the line, which could mean driving a distance.

Or, switch to another line from another dealer.

It happens alot. I see new customers every year that are happy to hear i can service and get parts for stuff that they bought somewhere else because they might have folded up, or they need a change of scenery.

I'm sure some of my customers have gone elsewhere. Some of them i have asked to please go somewhere else because no matter what I did, I couldn't please them. Some of them might have just had some bad luck with a piece and wanted to try something else. That doesn't happen often but I will be honest and if a guy is complaining about say.......an echo hand held product, I will tell them, try a Husky we have or , go to another dealer and see what they have. If you have the same bad luck, you will know it's probably not the machines fault. If it works out great, maybe you got a lemon. But any good dealer will try to make it right to the best of their ability. There might be a product out there that I don't offer so if they ask, i will say........hey "i hate to send buisness somewhere else, but, I think this is what you will want to try". Hell, i've even done dealer locators online to know where to send them.

Sometimes, you just can't please everyone. Anyone in buisness knows that.