PDA

View Full Version : Using Gps

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 05:25 PM
i was just wondering if any of you guys are using a gps device in your vehicle. i am getting ready to order a laptop from dell computer and i seen that i cound order a gps device that plugs into the computer and runs throught the software. i just wondered if the work good or if it is another toy.

bigtex
06-10-2007, 08:26 PM
where you plan on cuttin lawn (on the moon)!

dougmartin2003
06-10-2007, 08:46 PM
no whenever i get a call on a new job it would be nice to have good directionsto the clients house, ive been in this town for 15 years but i still dont know all the street names

totalturfga
06-26-2007, 08:46 PM
from our standpoint they would be great when you get a call from some a$$ that has decided that he no longer wants to pay you, because "you haven't been to my yard in x weeks" even though we were there yesterday and spoke with the husband/wife. I'd love to know more about the program that you've found and if you have used yet.

mowerman90
06-26-2007, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't reccomend getting a GPS with your laptop. I have a laptop mounted to a pedestal in my truck. It's great to enter payments from clients or to schedule trimming/pruning but as a GPS device I find it lacking. I have the Microsoft Streets and Trips GPS program and find that it works well but you need a navigator in the truck with you to take full advantage of it. The problem is that you can't put the laptop on the dash so you have to keep looking down to your side to see it and that's dangerous. A better solution for you would be to get one of the small GPS devices that mount on the dash and have the ability to actually speak directions to you. I've seen Garmins on sale for as little as $269. I do think that you will like having a laptop in the truck though. No more sticky notes stuck all over the dashboard. No more having to guess when a customer asks what their balance is. Everythings right there at your fingertips.

TN Property Services
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Lowrance Iway 350C here mounted on the dash just a the bottom of the A-Pillar. Works great, all you need from potential customers/meetings is the physical address instead of trying to understand their "turn off the paved road directions"

dougmartin2003
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
i was think about getting the micrsoft streets and trips with the gps device that plugs into the laptop and sits on the dash of the truck, but i am going to make sure that it gives you voice directions before i buy it

fargoboy
06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
I have the Delorme Street Atlas 2007 system on my lap top right now and had it for the last six years. It talks to you and you can talk to it. Whether it listens to you is another thing. The volume control and the amount of speakers that you use is a deciding factor. Hard to hear what the computer is saying when you have rap playing on the sirrus and all the mowers are banging in the trailers and people are honking at you. Previous post about the sun glare on the computer screen is also a valid safety concern. I think the total system with phone book is around $120.00. What they don't tell you about these mapping systems is that you have to update them each year to keep current on new streets and new phone numbers. With the phone atlas, it tells you the location of the phones and gives you direction there so you don't actually need to hear a physical address. It costs about $60.00 per year to update and each year it gets better. Where you run into problems is sometimes in the rural areas you get an address like rr1 box 297 Newburg Turnpike, Lenox PA. It doesn't have an actual gps location for it, so it just looks at the Newburg Turnpike measures it and puts you in the center of it. If you try it on google maps or Mapquest it does the same thing. However once you find it you can note the gps location in the system and also notify them and they will enter it into their data bases. Also another problem with the system is their data bases come from DOT maps, some of these roads that are listed were abanedoned a long time ago but are on the records for planning purposes. You can right click on a road and it will give you a list of everyone who lives on that road, so you can tailor a marketing plan to just those people. In defense of Microsoft Streets and trips, if you buy the super duper version along with Office 2007 and Vista, it will give you all kinds of data on a physical address such as the income level of the residents, whether they have liens, etc but this costs about 600.00 per year. Bottom line, this won't make you any money, but it will save you some of your time. The new nextel phones will have all these capabilities too but you have to pay for the monthly service which may be cheaper when you don't need to update it yearly and you don't have the laptop taking up the spaces of four mexicans in the front seat of the truck

Mountain Peak
06-27-2007, 01:48 PM
I have a Garmin IQUE that I use all the time in the spring. It helps me locate those streets I can't find. I haven't tried loading all of my routes in and having it find the shortest route yet but I'm going to try here when I get a little slow time.
I love my Garmin.

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 01:50 PM
another waste of money....I cant see why a person would need it.