PDA

View Full Version : Planning on planting a privacy screen, please help....

Mikey Palmice
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I happened to stumble upon this site while searching for information on what types of trees to use for a privacy screen in my backyard. Here are the facts......

I need to put up enough trees to cover a 95 foot section of my backyard to attempt to cover up the house behind me, while keeping my nice view above the proposed tree line. I would like to start with something in the 5-10 foot hight range, and would like to attain a maximum of about 20 feet in the years to come. I had two landscape designers come so far and they both had very varying opinions.

The first one suggested we use 10 White Pine trees in a staggered formation starting about 10 feet tall, which would eventually need to be topped to keep the growth at my desired height maybe in 5-10 years. He said they would fill in right away because of the staggering, and the deer would not eat them that hang out in my area. This option will cost me about 2500-3000 dollars

The second guy said he would not recommend the above option because you should never top these trees, it will eventually cause them to become unhealthy and as the trees grow, the bottom branches will die and my screen will no longer be effective. His suggestion was some type of Cypress I believe that he said will only grow to about 15 feet or so, and we would start out at about 5-6 feet. about 16 trees would be needed for the same 95 feet in my yard. This option will cost me closer to 4000 dollars.

I have a third guy coming tomorrow and will see what he suggests.

So, I wanted to see what some of you guys suggest, and how you feel about the above two ideas.

This is NY, and the trees will get a lot of sun in the summer as well as be exposed to snow in the winter.

thanks so much for reading. Also, what can one expect to pay for this type of job?

Mikey Palmice
06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
anybody? thanks

New Heights
06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Both ideas sound good to me but I would plant them in a berm of soil, you will get more out of the plant and you wont have to worry about poor soil conditions. Where are you located in NY?

HenryB
06-14-2007, 12:12 AM
White Pines are giant weeds IMO. They are messy dropping needles;don't have a nice shape and tend to get very sparce in time. Leyland Cypresses are a great choice.

leejp
06-14-2007, 03:49 PM
White Pines are giant weeds IMO. They are messy dropping needles;don't have a nice shape and tend to get very sparce in time. Leyland Cypresses are a great choice.

Exactly...

Plant Canadian Hemlock instead. Good screening, hardier and can be topped/pruned.

Mikey Palmice
06-19-2007, 10:12 PM
thanks everybody, I will check out your suggestions