PDA

View Full Version : Moles killing me!!

Capemay Eagle
06-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I have been battling moles for the past month and half. Any suggestions I have tried everything Pellets, Traps, Motomco(worm shaped baits)etc..They just keep spreding all over the yard, my lawn is almost just about destroyed. Any suggestions. It seems like I chase them out of one spot and they just move to another..

Nosmo
06-10-2007, 06:04 PM
I chase them to one spot and they move to another . hmmm

A mole is usually solitary unless it's breeding season. What about the shape of the holes ? Is the dirt fanned out to a horseshoe shape with the opening on the edge ?

If the holes are like I described then you have gophers. This is a horse of a different color for sure. Traps are how most folks get them under control.

Nosmo

Capemay Eagle
06-10-2007, 06:32 PM
I chase them to one spot and they move to another . hmmm

A mole is usually solitary unless it's breeding season. What about the shape of the holes ? Is the dirt fanned out to a horseshoe shape with the opening on the edge ?

If the holes are like I described then you have gophers. This is a horse of a different color for sure. Traps are how most folks get them under control.

Nosmo

Nah no Gophers in South Jersey, none that I know of anyway. The pattern is long tunnels with a small quarter size hole in the beginning. There are also spots in the yard where it looks like someone just dropped a shovel full of dirt, kinda like something drilled strait down and not side to side???. It is really driving me bananas. I read that if you bother moles enough, they will just go away. Not the case here, they just start tunneling about twenty feet away.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Talpirid, get some talpirid and never worry about another mole I promise, It is awesome, it comes with like 20 gummie worms, place them in the tunnels and relax, available at your local lesco.

Capemay Eagle
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Talpirid, get some talpirid and never worry about another mole I promise, It is awesome, it comes with like 20 gummie worms, place them in the tunnels and relax, available at your local lesco.I bought Gummies, but the product is called Motomco, It came in a box of eight. Is the same??. I think something else is digging them up when I put them in the hole. There seems to be a opening the next day in the same spot where I plant them...

Hey I noticed your a PSU fan??. I just got back from Happy Valley a few hours ago. Quite a storm of Friday night??. I went to the Bryce Jordan stadium for a concert on Friday night. Thought there was a Tornado coming for a moment.

PSUTURFGEEK
06-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I lived up there for a few years in college and my mom and dad still live near state college. Talpirid is different from any others, we baited a yard and within a half hour they took the bait. it's new last year from Bell Labs, they also have a new RUP called rodent rid and that works on Voles.

roguesuerte
06-10-2007, 07:29 PM
The shoevel full of dirt part makes me think Pocket Gopher. We do have them here in South Jersey but they are not very common. I think you can bait them with Talprid as well.

supturb89
06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Not to threadjack, but I have the same problem. I have had good success trapping the ones that are tunneling, but the conical mounds are driving me crazy. These seem to appear in an area about 20x20 in my front yard. I have removed the dirt and have been unable to find an actual hole or tunnel underneath them. I have been dealing with these for the past two summers. Help!!!!!!

Capemay Eagle
06-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Not to threadjack, but I have the same problem. I have had good success trapping the ones that are tunneling, but the conical mounds are driving me crazy. These seem to appear in an area about 20x20 in my front yard. I have removed the dirt and have been unable to find an actual hole or tunnel underneath them. I have been dealing with these for the past two summers. Help!!!!!!

Yep the mounds just appear, I too have looked for the holes and cannot find anything.

Capemay Eagle
06-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Talpirid, get some talpirid and never worry about another mole I promise, It is awesome, it comes with like 20 gummie worms, place them in the tunnels and relax, available at your local lesco.

This is the stuff I bought last week http://www.motomco.com/r_molekiller.htm
kinda looks the same..

Dreams To Designs
06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Eagle, have you trapped any of these creatures? It doesn't sound like moles to me. I believe you have voles. Moles eat earthworms, grubs and soil insects, voles eat plant material, including roots and the area at the bases of trees and plants. The quarter size or golf ball sized holes are a typical indication of vole activity.

Check out this site for information on voles.
http://www.pestproducts.com/voles_meadow_mice.htm#Pine%20or%20Woodland%20Vole

Voles are very prevalent in the sandy soils of Southern New Jersey and the Central part of the state as well. You may also have moles, but the voles will be the ones doing the majority of the damage. Many of the properties I deal with have voracious vole issues.

I have found two effective means of control. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter placed under a bucket near a vole hole are very effective, but can be messy or visited by other creatures. You will often set a trap and it will be gone the next day or maybe still have a deceased vole in it. The other method has been to use a mouse bait station by Bell Labs and one of their rodentcide blocks as bait. I have had excellent success with both methods and recommend them to my clients to preserve their plants, lawns and gardens. The Bell Labs products are available from Lesco and I would imaging other commercial pest control sources.

http://belllabs.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi

Kirk

Capemay Eagle
06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Eagle, have you trapped any of these creatures? It doesn't sound like moles to me. I believe you have voles. Moles eat earthworms, grubs and soil insects, voles eat plant material, including roots and the area at the bases of trees and plants. The quarter size or golf ball sized holes are a typical indication of vole activity.

Check out this site for information on voles.
http://www.pestproducts.com/voles_meadow_mice.htm#Pine%20or%20Woodland%20Vole

Voles are very prevalent in the sandy soils of Southern New Jersey and the Central part of the state as well. You may also have moles, but the voles will be the ones doing the majority of the damage. Many of the properties I deal with have voracious vole issues.

I have found two effective means of control. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter placed under a bucket near a vole hole are very effective, but can be messy or visited by other creatures. You will often set a trap and it will be gone the next day or maybe still have a deceased vole in it. The other method has been to use a mouse bait station by Bell Labs and one of their rodentcide blocks as bait. I have had excellent success with both methods and recommend them to my clients to preserve their plants, lawns and gardens. The Bell Labs products are available from Lesco and I would imaging other commercial pest control sources.

http://belllabs.com/cgi-bin/products.cgi

Kirk
Thanks Kirk. I did a little reading last night and I do belive that I have a Mole/Vole problem. I am going to take your advise and set a trap tonight and see what happens. I have to do something. If this does not work I am going to have to call a exterminator in. The damage is just getting worse by the days...