PDA

View Full Version : tips for returning mower

mike022681
06-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Hello,

Two weeks ago I purchased the 17 HP DR field and brush mower with the mowing attachment. After using only a few times I have come to the conclusion that this machine is definitely not for me, nor was it what I expected. This machine comes with a 6 month return policy, the website states that they will even pay for return shipping. With the price of this machine and the costs involved in shipping I am preparing myself for the possibility of being hassled during the return process.

Has anybody here had experience with country home products, particularly the return process? If so could you give me some tips on what to expect so I can prepare for this? Anything not say or do that would possibly give them an excuse not to honor their return policy?

Thanks again, I really appreciate any help

Mike

mc24034
06-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Does it not work as well as it looks on the Infomercials? I could definately use a machine like that but I hate spending that much money on something Id use maybe 1-2 times a week. What about it didnt you like?

Runner
06-10-2007, 08:11 PM
Hint: It never really shows it CUTTING the stuff on the commercials. It only shows it going over the stuff and the stuff leaning over - then it cuts awayon the video clip. Oh, it DOES give a "before and after" picture, but it NEVER shows a true clip of it cutting and what it leaves behind. There is a reason for this.

mike022681
06-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I just moved into my home with acreage and it was in some serious need of a brush cleaning. I've owned the DR string trimmer for two years now and am quite impressed with it so I gave the brush mower a try since I thought I could kill two birds with one stone (I needed a larger mower as well) First I used the brush mower, I was and still am somewhat impressed with it. I was able to clear all the brush in my area with it fairly easily in about a week. With that out of the way my only need for it would be maybe once a year to clean up a few edges here and there. This is about the only positive thing I can say about this machine and attachments.

While the brush mower did its job, it sure didn't do it like I was told it would. The blade is supposed to mulch the brush so I am not left with a mess afterwards. It didn't, I was left with hundreds of small trees to clean up and dispose of, which took much longer and a lot more work to clean up than it did to cut. Not that I would ever complain about work, but I feel a little mislead. I also feel that this machine stretches the reasonable boundaries of safety. Underneath the deck the only thing protecting your legs from flying debris is a flimsy rubber flap, similar to the mud flaps on a truck. I have been struck on several occasions and been bruised by discharge. I am concerned about something larger making it through there and causing serious injury. The machine also has a tendency to get hung up on stumps, on more than one occasion I've worked my back over trying to free it up, it just lacks the power.

To change the brush deck to the mower deck or vice versa you either need two people or herculean strength, this is very frustrating and not practical at all (at least with my wife) you must correctly balance the 300+ lb mower and get the shaft into the deck at the same time, which is much harder than it sounds.

The fact that the mowing attachment can be called a mower in my opinion borders on fraud (I know this is a harsh statement but please don't judge until you've actually tried this thing out) It is incredibly cumbersome and is very rough on the back when maneuvering. In turn it leaves deep ruts and enjoys scalping my once pristine lawn. When I get my camera back I will post some pictures. I have had to stop using it because of all the damage it was causing. I have reverted to my 10 year old $250 craftsman to get the job done, which it does better than my $3600 DR. Only problem is that I am now relegated to mowing small sections of lawn everyday since doing it all at once would take about seven hours.

What concerns me the most though is the units' build quality, since I've gone on long enough about this machine I won't go into a bit by bit analysis of everything that worries me other that I question the long term durability of this machine, particularly the clutch and decks.

I hate to sound like such a negative person which I'm not, its just that I feel very stupid for buying this thing and I am more than upset. I really feel that I have been mislead by country home products and that I've been taken as their fool.

Mike

Stillwater
06-11-2007, 02:24 AM
the big dr field is possibly the finest brush cutter in is size class on the planet they take down 4 inch trees as for a lawn mower you coulden't have made a worse choice country home will not hassle you in anyway. loose the dr for a mower and slap yourself for me.

I have several of them and they generate huge $$ but they are not lawn mowers.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 02:39 AM
the big dr field is possibly the finest brush cutter in is size class on the planet they take down 4 inch trees as for a lawn mower you coulden't have made a worse choice country home will not hassle you in anyway. loose the dr for a mower and slap yourself for me.

I have several of them and they generate huge $$ but they are not lawn mowers.

I agree. Brush cutting and mowing are two totally different items. If you want to brush cut, there is going to be some level of cleanup and removal when finished. Isn't there? That has always been my experience, and all I use for brush cutting is a chainsaw and a stihl FS 75 with a brush cutting head. Brush cutting WILL NOT leave you results you would get with a finishing deck cut!

KevinDL
04-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Mike,:waving:

I AM Considering a Purchase of their New Dr Versa Pro ZTR Convertible Mower.
http://www.drversapro.com

Please Tell me more about your Concerns with their Build Quality (I'm sure many would like to know), and Also You Experience With Their 6-Month Return Policy.:confused:

Thanks,

Kevin

What concerns me the most though is the units' build quality, since I've gone on long enough about this machine I won't go into a bit by bit analysis of everything that worries me other that I question the long term durability of this machine, particularly the clutch and decks.

I hate to sound like such a negative person which I'm not, its just that I feel very stupid for buying this thing and I am more than upset. I really feel that I have been mislead by country home products and that I've been taken as their fool.

Mike

TNT Lawncare
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
If you need a bigger mower, buy a bigger mower. If you need a brush cutter maybe one time a year, go RENT a brush cutter.

Yerkz
04-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Shipped my Quick 44 Samurai back to BOP on Tuesday and receivd refund in full on Thursday. No hassles. Quality company, mower just wasn't what I was looking for.

DoetschOutdoor
04-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Why did you return?

cgaengineer
04-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Hint: It never really shows it CUTTING the stuff on the commercials. It only shows it going over the stuff and the stuff leaning over - then it cuts awayon the video clip. Oh, it DOES give a "before and after" picture, but it NEVER shows a true clip of it cutting and what it leaves behind. There is a reason for this.

I noticed this same thing and told my wife...she didn't believe me so since we have DVR I rewound and we watched it again, sure enough...it really doesn't cut!!

tip184
04-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I have a DR electric log splitter. Ordered an accessory that would not fit. Return could not have been simpler - they emailed me a return label, had me carton it up (I saved original packing materials) and call UPS for a pick up. No problems. Replacement arrived before old one had been sent back.

And with regard to Yerkz' post - DR is not BOP (as far as I know), but BOP has gotten great reviews here for customer service.

JTF40
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Shipped my Quick 44 Samurai back to BOP on Tuesday and receivd refund in full on Thursday. No hassles. Quality company, mower just wasn't what I was looking for.

YERKZ - I sent you a p.m. with a question. Send me one back. :usflag:

GravelyNut
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
If you want a mower to cut brush, get a Gravely 30" on a 2-wheeler. When you are finished, it will look far better than a DR will leave it. I've used both and will only own the Gravely. And the Gravely deck housing can be dropped and a 28" saw blade and guard installed on the gearbox for when you get into things in the 6" range. Photo below shows saw blade and gearbox without guard.

J.A.G LAWNCARE
04-10-2008, 07:18 PM
sounds like you did the brush work and dont need it anymore .....................................

LawnBasher
04-10-2008, 07:38 PM
sounds like you did the brush work and dont need it anymore .....................................

exactly....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Mowingman
04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
The DR brush cutter really has major design flaws, or they just build them poorly. Not sure which. The guy who was doing code enforcement mowing for our city had two of those DR machines. He said he had one or the other in the welding shop all the time. He never finished more than one or two mowings without them breaking down. I often saw them at my friend's welding shop. They seem to break apart where the deck mates up to the power unit. After seeing his, I would never own one.