PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Part Time Help???

ERICKS
08-21-2001, 11:26 PM
I'm a solo operator, but I have recently taken on a contract that has a lot of beds in really bad shape. I've tried hitting on family members to help out but, it is just too many hours. And the time to complete is short. I'm trying to figure out how to hire some help for a couple of weeks. I've never had a payroll so it's all new. Also, I know it will hit my insurance rates, worker comp, etc.

Is there any easy way?? Any state agency wanting to put people to work????

Suggestions??

Doug

Stonehenge
08-22-2001, 12:04 AM
Manpower or something like them, a temp agency of sorts. But with the economy the way it is, all you'll get are the guys that can't hold down steady jobs. But they will handle payroll, taxes, the works. You just have to cut a check to them.

MATTHEW
08-22-2001, 12:08 AM
You want to go to a temporary agency! You can tell them you want someone for 2 weeks and when you are done-they are done! You willpay a bit more, but will not have to do the tons of paperwork required to hire them on. Also, you will not pay workers comp. The agency does. The employee is employed by the agency-not you. Good luck.

site
08-22-2001, 03:20 PM
Temp agencies are ok if you have really simple projects. In my experience most temps don't give a very good effort. There is one in town called Labor Ready (I think they are national) if you don't like who they send you can call the agency and they will send a replacement.
If you pay less than $600 in one year (I think that's the #) to any one person you dont have to pay taxes on them. Ask your accountant.

dmk395
08-22-2001, 10:18 PM
Hire some high school or college kids for help or a day.

gogetter
08-24-2001, 10:13 PM
I'm sure it will vary around the country, but what can one expect to pay for a temp laborer? Just kinda curious

Jonathan

steveair
08-27-2001, 01:16 PM
Hello,

there are many 'street corners' in my area that you can pull up too any given morning and 'hire' as many laborers as needed.

Many, many, many contractors are doing this.

Even funnier, I know a lot of homeowners who are doing this now for there 'weekend warrior jobs'.

For what it is worth, if its only one job once in a while, you really can't go wrong.

rates go from 6 to 12 an hour.

steveair

kutnkru
08-27-2001, 05:56 PM
Dont know if you have this option for temporary agencies in your locale but here they are even cheaper than the other temp agencies.

For a basic grunt to pull weeds and such its $10.41/hr. thats cheaper than what it costs to put someone on the books per hour.

The alternative you could check with if its only temporary is with fellow LCOs in your area. We have been awarded contracts before where we needed an extra guy or two and have been able to get the "experienced" help from another contractor who is slower than we are.

Just a thought!
Kris