PDA

View Full Version : I fired a customer!!

delphied
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
My second mowing and all Ive heard is whining about the price. He said,"whats the absolute cheapest you will do my lawn for every week". I said this is my last visit because I like to make my customers happy and its obvious that I cant work cheap enough to make him happy. I dont know how he feels but I feel a whole lot better. I dont need anymore customers who want freebies. They dont want to mow it and they dont want to pay for it either. I told him thats the Catch 22 LMAO.

lifetree
06-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Good for you, I agree you don't need a customer like that ... I basically had one similar and put it a little more nicely though ... I told him my schedule was full, therefore, I wouldn't be back.

Branchland
06-10-2007, 08:59 PM
If somebodies a suspected PITA, get rid of them ASAP. I'm sure you did the right thing. Otherwise you'd been on here in a few weeks complaining about them.

delphied
06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Im not a nice guy to jerks. Jus cant help it. I do good work and am respectful .

nitro rookie
06-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Hey Delphied,
I'm a little currious on how you came up with your screen name.

bohiaa
06-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I picked up a customer that the other LCO stoped cutting her grass...

I thought I really did something... she seemed nice, everything was going great.................Untill you guess it...... the bill came due......

she nit picked it to death........

I simply informed her that I CANT spend an hour on the phone going over this and that.... every little blade of grass.....

I told her I think it's best that we go our way and her ,,,,hers

DLCS
06-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Im not a nice guy to jerks. Jus cant help it. I do good work and am respectful .

I treat my customers the same way they treat me.

delphied
06-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I was forced to retire young from the bankrupt delphi corp. I was Delphied!!!

Sandgropher
06-11-2007, 01:50 AM

I am much the same, i dont kiss butt from P.I.T.A.S and treat all others with respect.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 02:56 AM

Thats right Mike. I always give them a freebee shot, but respect and satisfaction go hand in hand. If both parties are not in accordance, then its over!

Roger
06-11-2007, 08:03 AM

I'm sorry, I can't agree with this. I know most will disagree with me. Why do you wish to stoop to low levels if the customer acts inappropriately? Just because a customer chooses to act stupidly, say or do something inappropriate, why does that give me the license to do likewise?

There are many threads on LS regarding acting professionally. For me, that is a very ambiguous term, meaning all kinds of things. However, to me, acting professionally includes being respectful and courteous. If the customer choose to be disrespectful and discourteous, why would I choose to be the same? My response that follows his/her path will be noted by them, and most likely be passed to others. Remember, for every negative word spread about somebody, it takes at least ten positive ones to cover (this statistic is well accepted in business circles). Therefore, to act negatively toward a customer, you are only hurting yourself.

Many other LS threads speak about "not letting the customer run my business." If you choose to "treat them like they treat me," you are doing exactly that, letting the customer run your business.

nitro rookie
06-11-2007, 10:18 AM
I was forced to retire young from the bankrupt delphi corp. I was Delphied!!!

Sorry to hear about your luck there.
I worked for the Cooersville plant for 4 years, Now I'm out the door.

Good luck.

dkeisala
06-11-2007, 02:44 PM
My second mowing and all Ive heard is whining about the price. He said,"whats the absolute cheapest you will do my lawn for every week". I said this is my last visit because I like to make my customers happy and its obvious that I cant work cheap enough to make him happy. I dont know how he feels but I feel a whole lot better. I dont need anymore customers who want freebies. They dont want to mow it and they dont want to pay for it either. I told him thats the Catch 22 LMAO.
There's an easy way around this, if they want it done for less you simply reply "sure, we can do it for less. What part of your weekly service are you willing to give up?"

DFW Area Landscaper
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Be careful with your accounts receivable when you dump a client. I went through a 2 week period where I dumped 5 clients for being a-holes and now one of them has filed a charge-back against our bed clean-up through Amex. Only charge-back I've ever had in 3 years of next day credit cards.

I agree, though, if they are not treating you with respect, if you can afford to dump them, dump 'em. I have always found that the clients who show you no respect eventually fire you anyway. You are probably only missing the revenue from a handfull of cuts if you are the first to fire. In any event, you need to be polite as possible when you dump them because if they owe you money, they won't pay and if they've paid via credit card, they can charge it back. Only a cashed check and a zero balance leaves you with no risk when you dump a client.

FWIW, I dumped only one client last year and she called back this spring and apologized and promised not to be a bad client any more if I'd take her back. Sometimes standing up for yourself and dumping them can actually work out.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

delphied
06-11-2007, 03:14 PM
I thought coopersville was going to stay open?

nitro rookie
06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Nope Coopersville closed. 8 people still there in a jobs bank sitting out in the power house. Not one machine in the whole place. Most of the equipment moved to New York. Some went to Grand Rapids. (low production stuff) They kept open Burlingame, ( Grand Rapids).

walker/redmax
06-11-2007, 08:04 PM
You guys must not like money.

delphied
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Did you take a buyout?

nitro rookie
06-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Yes, I took the buy out. Last day I worked for delphi was 12-30-06.
Started a new Job on January 2nd. I didn't want to drive 120 miles a day back and forth to work. I don't think the contract will be real good for them this year either.
Still doing the same type of work only 15 miles from home and started mowing lawns to. I am really enjoying mowing because it is day time work outside. Don't have a whole lot of customers, but the one I do have are really happy with my work, makes it worth while. I go home feeling good about the job I did get a nap, and back to my night job at 6pm.
Wife hates it. It'll work for now until I get things in better perspective.

KTO Enterprises
06-11-2007, 11:51 PM

I like money. I just dont want a headache trying to earn it. If a customer starts being a pain, wanting this and that for free, they gotta go. If someone is constantly late paying, they gotta go. If someone thinks they have to tell me how to mow their yard, they gotta go too. I have a few customers that I had to get pretty nasty with and they turned out to be my best customers. Pay up front each month, Never hear from them. People can smell someone that is too nice coming a mile away. Then the sharks start circling. People will take advantage of you as long as you allow it.

Chilehead
06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Ha! Ha! Ha-a-a-a-a-a! Good for you! I've let a few people go in my lifetime too. They're not worth the hassle and aggrivation. I've learned that when you let a problematic client go, you gain peace of mind.

drmiller100
06-12-2007, 01:30 AM

the more customers i fire, the more money i make.

walker/redmax
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
the more customers i fire, the more money i make.

Hmm. Really? Hows that work?

TOOMUCHWALKING
06-12-2007, 11:58 PM
In eight years , I've cut loose 2 people . I use it sparingly , but I am the boss !

Woods Edge
06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
My first 6-7 years in business I let that small percentage of customers drive me nut's. I don't put up with it anymore! Seems like every year if I have say 80 lawns 70 never have a problem 5 will have an issue a few time's a year and the other 5 will drive you nut's I drop em like a hot potato. That reminds me I need to bill my most recent nut bag so I can get paid and drop her!
I don't know about you guy's but I have plenty of work and don't need to waste my time with knuckle head's.
Some people just can't be pleased it really doesn't have anything to do with you it's THEM. I love it when I drop a customer and then see a new company every few months at there house, just lets me know for sure THEY were the problem.

KTO Enterprises
06-13-2007, 12:00 AM
In eight years , I've cut loose 2 people . I use it sparingly , but I am the boss !

In 2 hours I cut loose 8 people. PITAS gotta go, especially When i take on work that makes almost as much in a day as some of their accounts pay in a year. buh bye headache