PDA

View Full Version : how many people gross 300 000 and more each year

Espacesverts
06-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I'm curious to know how many people here gross 300 000$ and more each year. How many employees do you have and what are you doing beside mowing? How many mowers do you have?:canadaflag:

Thanks!

Espacesverts
06-10-2007, 11:24 PM
HAHA some LCO in my area gross 400 000 to 500 000 per year 18 mowers 20 employees...I want to know if someone here is grossing this too!

bigbone
06-10-2007, 11:32 PM
That would be freakin sweet. I doubt many LCOs do that much but I could be wrong.

BPC
06-10-2007, 11:36 PM
The last full service commercial company I worked for in Orlando grossed about 5-6 million with 1 landscape install crew, 3 irrigation crews, and 14 lawn maintenance crews working year round with no lay offs.

bigbone
06-10-2007, 11:41 PM
The last full service commercial company I worked for in Orlando grossed about 5-6 million with 1 landscape install crew, 3 irrigation crews, and 14 lawn maintenance crews working year round with no lay offs.

How long have they been in business?

NewWave
06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Last year we grossed over 500k. We have one mowing crew of 2 except for Tuesdays and Fridays and then we add a third guy. They take care of roughly 120 residential/commercial accounts Tues-Fri. Then we have 2-3 landscape/irrigation trucks running Mon-Sat. We have 12 full time employees not including myself or my business partner.

Our mowing truck includes a 2007 Exmark Z 60" and a 2005 Toro ProLine 36". Stihl blowers and trimmers. 18' Corn Pro trailer. We have 2005 Toro 48" and a 2001 Snapper 36" in reserve.

This is our 8th year.

txgrassguy
06-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I am grossing between $650k to about $675K yearly with 8 full time, 3 part time and me.
The largest increase has been in design/install work and I am scheduled out for at least 2.5 months from now.
I am working out the details with a sub division builder to do all of their irrigation, sub and final grade work, grassing and landscaping for 74 homes. I anticipate this contract to be worth between $1.2Million up to $1.7 million alone.

gravedigger5
06-11-2007, 12:26 AM
I am grossing between $650k to about $675K yearly with 8 full time, 3 part time and me.

TX G Guy, When you say 8, 3, and me, are you the one pushing papers and have a phone glued to your ear, or are you able to still do some of the hands on stuff? Not to be too nosy but are pocketing over $100k a year? I am just wondering. Trying to decide how much more I want to let my business grow. Percentage wise your #s are similar to mine for the # of employees you have.
Thanks Marc

Myk
06-11-2007, 01:27 AM
I would like to add one more question for the big tymers that are grossing more than $300k. When you got started where you a solo operator or you just landed the buisness and it grew fast? Just wonder coming from a solo operator dreaming to be big time one day. Thanks

Stillwater
06-11-2007, 01:58 AM
I would like to add one more question for the big tymers that are grossing more than $300k. When you got started where you a solo operator or you just landed the buisness and it grew fast? Just wonder coming from a solo operator dreaming to be big time one day. Thanks

If you are dreaming of big time, be honest,fair,trustworthy,and do a stand out job, the word will grow I have not advertised in 10 or 15 years, My line item for advertiseing is 0. I did not buy the shiney new trucks, or buy the latest toy for the trailers. Be nice friendly and do not turn down work if possible. try to avoid 3 or 4 hundred dollar truck payments. pay helpers well for a quality job and save save save money everywhere. don't buy new mowers becouse they are cool buy what is needed to make money not what you want. that is important so I will say it again. Buy what you need not what you want their is a huge difference between the 2. over time you will be hitting the numbers you want to. I see guys all over town pulling lawn trailers in shiney 45 thousand dollar trucks. and funny thing is 1/2 of them will not be around next year. Buy insurence and pay taxes it is easy. I save the most important for last. Write a business plan with a clear path to reach what ever your goal is and stick to it. do you have a business plan?

causalitist
06-11-2007, 02:30 AM
place i worked for 2 years ago grossed 1.4 mil with 1 mowing crew, 2 landscape crews and 2 spraying trucks. 20 employees including the receptionist, landscape designer/foreman guy and mechanic.

(1) skid steer, (2) 5 yard dumps, 3 pickups.

that was their 5th year.

they have another skid steer and a 10 yard dump now, wonder what they are making.

when i started there they had no skid steer and just one super old 5 yard dump.

oh, and the 2 owners never worked onsite .. even in the beginning.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 03:49 AM
If you are dreaming of big time, be honest,fair,trustworthy,and do a stand out job, the word will grow I have not advertised in 10 or 15 years, My line item for advertiseing is 0. I did not buy the shiney new trucks, or buy the latest toy for the trailers. Be nice friendly and do not turn down work if possible. try to avoid 3 or 4 hundred dollar truck payments. pay helpers well for a quality job and save save save money everywhere. don't buy new mowers becouse they are cool buy what is needed to make money not what you want. that is important so I will say it again. Buy what you need not what you want their is a huge difference between the 2. over time you will be hitting the numbers you want to. I see guys all over town pulling lawn trailers in shiney 45 thousand dollar trucks. and funny thing is 1/2 of them will not be around next year. Buy insurence and pay taxes it is easy. I save the most important for last. Write a business plan with a clear path to reach what ever your goal is and stick to it. do you have a business plan?

Now that is great, sound advice coming from another 10 year vetran in this biz. :clapping:

BPC
06-11-2007, 08:51 AM
How long have they been in business?

They have been around for about 15 years.

The Ripper
06-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Are you talking about Servello?

bigtex
06-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Question- How Many Guys On Here Talk **** About There Numbers ($) Just To Sound Cool?

Liquidfast
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Question- How Many Guys On Here Talk **** About There Numbers ($) Just To Sound Cool?

I'd say 85% or more BS numbers. If I cleared $500k per year or more......sorry, great site and all but lawnsite wouldn't be on my "to do" list for the day.

I love the guys who say not to buy new equip or trucks. I started with an old beat up F-150. This year, we have new shiny trucks and yup, new shiny equipment. We can afford it. Our customers appreciate the nice new stuff and our uniforms. Its different if you can't afford it, then obviously don't buy it but c'mon, I believe the ones saying not to buy new, or newer stuff are the ones who are 2 weeks away from bankruptcy, have no faith in themselves or their biz or just are waiting for the worst case scenario to happen.

I am not saying you have to have it but if it makes you feel good, you only live once.....or twice if you are lucky.

BPC
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Are you talking about Servello?

No it was Baker Commercial

mkroher
06-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Who cares how much you gross? It's how much you keep in your pocket.

Liquidfast: I agree with the shiny trucks. I started out with an F150 clunker. 6 Years later I bought a nice Superduty PSD. I want to enjoy working and be proud of what I do.

I belive nice equipement...clean trucks.. represents the type of person you are, and reflects your work.

A guy driving around with a beat up old pickup with a muffler hanging off doesn't say too much about him.

stephenslawncare
06-11-2007, 05:36 PM
if you groos 500k and your expenses are 495k than you are not doing any better than a guy working at jack in the box so the gross 300k is a little misleading but also used equipment is the way to go. Paying 1/2 as much for a machine with 3/4 of its life left in it= A lower overhead= More in you pocket

J&T Kiev
06-11-2007, 05:54 PM

No truer words could be said. I had my best net in 2006. I work 9 employees, 2 daughters, me, my wife doing the Quick books, office related chores .

THRIFTY
06-11-2007, 06:00 PM

ALOT! Sorry for the ones that are seriously making that much, but plenty of bull ******* will hop on this thread a gloat how much they supposedly make. This is the internet.....Where everyone has a 12 inch ***** and a supermodel wife! :laugh:

FCS Services
06-11-2007, 06:27 PM
300K not here... Not enough customer base - there are approx 3500 people in the whole county. we diversify... we offer a lot of different services.....

300K - I wish (I'm Solo)

KTO Enterprises
06-11-2007, 06:42 PM
A solo operation can gross 110,000 a year, if they are strokin it. I like to have some off time and gross around 75,000.

300,000 is an easy target for a 2 truck maintenance and one install division.

walker/redmax
06-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Not me! I'll be honest. I pretty much put that kind of money in my savings jar at the end of the day. So guess you could say that I gross in the high billions. Maybe trillions. So, ya pretty much I'm a godzillioinair.

rodfather
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
I do over 300...so what's the big deal?

fiveoboy01
06-11-2007, 08:31 PM
If you are dreaming of big time, be honest,fair,trustworthy,and do a stand out job,

Best advice in the thread.

Follow those rules and treat the customer with respect, and your business can only benefit from it.

fiveoboy01
06-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Liquidfast: I agree with the shiny trucks. I started out with an F150 clunker. 6 Years later I bought a nice Superduty PSD. I want to enjoy working and be proud of what I do.

I belive nice equipement...clean trucks.. represents the type of person you are, and reflects your work.

A guy driving around with a beat up old pickup with a muffler hanging off doesn't say too much about him.

I agree. Your rig(s), and your appearance in general, represent your company. Despite what some people might say, appearance means a lot and can leave a good impression.

one man gang
06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
No truer words could be said. I had my best net in 2006. I work 9 employees, 2 daughters, me, my wife doing the Quick books, office related chores .

Sounds like you have a nice business going, What town(s) do you cover?

puppypaws
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM

You better have something nice you can be proud of because the government does not want you to have extra money, they want to use what you would like to keep.

We do have a war to fight, remember!!!

grapeford
06-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm in this for 20 years full time. If you're a maintenance guy, don't buy used mowers. Focus on on what you do, and do it well. I bought my first new truck last year. My wife went back to work, and I stopped paying $ 950.00 per month for Health insurance. I see ads all the time for guys who can mow lawns, install irrigation, build walls and walkways, design, do lighting, put up Christmas lights, do tree work and fertilize your lawn. and repair your chimney
Figure out who the good customers are, and take care of them.

lifetree
06-11-2007, 10:52 PM
Who cares how much you gross ? It's how much you keep in your pocket.

Absolutely, it's called the "bottom line", or, profit !!

Chilehead
06-11-2007, 11:31 PM
Glad to read these posts--very informative. Now, I'll give you my perspective. I am a solo operation that caters to high-end residential clients for the most part. 45 regulars gross me around $55K annually for maintenance/chemicals. Throw in all the landscaping and irrigation I do, and then hardscapes for the winter months, and the total gross quickly rises to $75K. "What's so special about that?", you ask. My profit margin averages 35-40%. Theoretically speaking, a perfect schedule would let me gross $137K, but this would be with no time off during the winter. When I think about it, I would much rather enjoy my 5-8 week sabatical every winter.

Stillwater
06-11-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm in this for 20 years full time. If you're a maintenance guy, don't buy used mowers. Focus on on what you do, and do it well. I bought my first new truck last year. My wife went back to work, and I stopped paying $ 950.00 per month for Health insurance. I see ads all the time for guys who can mow lawns, install irrigation, build walls and walkways, design, do lighting, put up Christmas lights, do tree work and fertilize your lawn. and repair your chimney
Figure out who the good customers are, and take care of them.

Hey grapeford, I had 4 guys in your town today, gradeing and hydroseeding I think it was lake street?

BPC
06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
There are some interesting articles here about profit margins and benchmarks etc.

http://www.kehoe.biz/inthenews.htm

bullethead
06-12-2007, 07:48 PM
There are some interesting articles here about profit margins and benchmarks etc.

http://www.kehoe.biz/inthenews.htm

That's a good link, thanks for sharing

NNJLandman
06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I usually do around a million in business every year. I run 6 crews, 2 maint., 3 install crew(hardscapes & plants etc), and 1 crew that just does mulch, shrub trimming, weeding, misc jobs. I have 8 trucks and I just built a home.

Jeff

Stillwater
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
I think it is intresting how many of you guys are willing to spew your numbers.

Sandgropher
06-12-2007, 09:06 PM

I think most people are honest on here, BTW i netted $1,000,000 solo mowing, working 3 days a week. ;)