PDA

View Full Version : Retaining Wall Guarantee

YKClipper
06-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi,

I'm installing a 110 ft, 6 degree, Allen Block retaining wall into a bank that starts and ends at 0 feet and will be about 7 ft in the center.

I'll be using geo grid every 2 courses, 3/4" crushed ledge backfill, drain tile, and I'll be compacting every course.

The base will be 2' x 2' - 3/4" minus screened, crushed, washed stone.

I've yet to check the product guarantee, but, I'm curious how many year guarantee I should offer the owner. I welcome any constructive input?

Thanks.

DVS Hardscaper
06-11-2007, 06:40 AM
You can offer whatever guarantee you want, but it won't matter.

The liability with retaining wall construction lives with you as long as your business is in business, or if you're a sole propertiership, then as long as you live. So, say 11 years from now the wall fails and the neighbor's basement floods - guess who is liable!

Retaining walls are NOT to be taken lightly. You have to know what you're doing. As you won't be able to say "sorry frank and helen, you're warranty is up".

YKClipper
06-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the input DVS.

You are of course right. I still check out, (with a sense of pride), landscape work, hard and soft that I completed years past.

The homeowners expect it to last a lifetime, but that can be kind of subjective, so I'm hoping to find out what guarantee others in similar situations may be offering.

Mike33
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
A wall that size sound like you got the picture of how to do, but in the 7' area i would backfill 3' with clean stone such as 57's. It might cost a little more but your taking a lot of pressure off of that wall. I would also grid 100% and if there is much area of slope above it i would cut a swale about 6' behind it the full length so the only water that reaches that wall is in a 5-6' area. This is why i took NCMA cert, i figured if failure arises and i did exceed there standards i would be okey. To my knowledge NCMA standards would be used against you in a case like this, so i really think most of there standards is a joke i go far beyond them.
Mike

forestfireguy
06-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Do you have an engineers stamp??? I know in Jersey you'd need one if building over 4 ft.

YKClipper
06-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Only a very short portion, (less than 10 feet), will be at 6 1/2 feet high. From that point, the wall will work back up the bank to a height of 0 feet. Never-the-less, I take the stability of the wall very seriously.

I hadn't considered installing a grid over 100%, but will do so now. I plan to extend the drain field a minimum of 60% of the wall height with both the crushed ledge and geo grid. I may consider a cleaner stone as well. The area behind the wall is near level, but I'd already planned on diverting any excess water away.

I don't have an engineers stamp, not needed, however, I do have the CEO and the City Engineer inspecting the project tomorrow a.m. I'll get back to you on their thoughts.

Thanks for your input. I really do appreciate it.:waving: