PDA

View Full Version : Are you more than an LCO?

CustomKare
06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Hillarious call last night. I had one of my customers panicked they have flying ants and called me to see what to do. Last I checked I am the grass guy not an exterminator.

Last month I was coming out of a store another customer stops me and asked.......could you pickup my gas grille at Lowes? "I can rent a truck for 75 minutes for $18.95 but I probaly wont make it back in time" Again, I'm the grass guy not a delivery guy. Against better judgement I did do it and what a cluster F. 45 minutes in the store, 20 minutes to and from the store. Lady gives me $20!!! I know I'm an idiot!!!!:hammerhead: :dizzy:

MJS
06-11-2007, 02:00 PM
The list of things that I've done for customers in the last year includes: Fixing a vacuum, moving furniture, rebuilt fences, installed trim in patios, exterminated carpenter ants and wasps, painted a door, and cleaned out two gutters. I do find it interesting that my customers think that because I mow their grass, I must know how to do anything else too. LOL I tell people "If you want me to do extra work, it's $35 an hour. Quite a few people though, don't know of anyone else who can do the work, and they don't want to hire another guy to do it, when you are already there anyway. I really don't actually mind it; it's a nice change from the daily grind of mowing.

meets1
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Heck - we do it all. Haul away branches for people, deleivery stuff with our trailer if needed, anything for a buck.

Starting to get a little dry and some of our lawns are slowing so mowing is going faster - I took 3 guys today and we started shingling a house. One more day and that little job will be knocked out - good money, get some of the guys off the mower and enjoy the day.

SpfdTurfMasters
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
If she is a good costumer, I would have hauled the grill for her as a favor. Get some browny points, or a cookie mmmmm.

procut
06-11-2007, 11:54 PM
I try to shy away from the odd jobs, as its not the image I want. I however, did once help a customer move. Last summer I did pick up a gas grill. It was for a good customer and only had to haul it about a 1/2 mile. Not to mention, I couldn't say no to an old lady who said to me, "I bought a new grill that needs to be picked up and your the only person I know who has a pick up truck" She did pay extra for this service.

CustomKare
06-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Pro, thats the way it was said to me by the old lady.

topsites
06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Yeah, but it depends what it is, I'm not Sandford & Son and I am not the 'guy with a trailer,' basically so long the customer asks and does not assume I'm going to do it, I will consider most anything, but I did say consider.

It really frustrates, some customers ask but it's not really a question...
I know at that time they just wrote on the wall, this relationship has or is going down.
Why, why?

Some of it is quite tolerable thou, it's not all bad, just depends what it is, and how the question comes...

Hillarious call last night. I had one of my customers panicked they have flying ants and called me to see what to do. Last I checked I am the grass guy not an exterminator.

Last month I was coming out of a store another customer stops me and asked.......could you pickup my gas grille at Lowes? "I can rent a truck for 75 minutes for $18.95 but I probaly wont make it back in time" Again, I'm the grass guy not a delivery guy. Against better judgement I did do it and what a cluster F. 45 minutes in the store, 20 minutes to and from the store. Lady gives me $20!!! I know I'm an idiot!!!!:hammerhead: :dizzy:

Hey man, don't feel bad, been there, done that.
Lessons: NEVER pick up anything, anywhere for a customer, you will always waste at LEAST 45 minutes (I've spent 2 hours there before) with the rigmarole...

It's royal BS, the guys at Lowe's / HD tell the customer that it is ok, but it is not! At least here in Richmond, the customer HAS to be there! Whoever purchased the item has to retrieve it, they can NOT send you there with the receipt, yes even thou whoever assured the customer that it could be done (omg what a test of patience).
Worst thing is that $20, that burns bad, I think I got paid as much, too...
A $20 gives me a 1/2 tank and about +250km range... In my car!
In the truck, a $20 isn't even quite a 1/4 tank...

I suppose one could come up with a $60 fee for this type of stuff, but I find it easier to simply decline.

mebergstran
06-12-2007, 12:51 AM
i tend to do whatever a customer asks. though often grumbling, i'll do about anything to please a good customer.

ECS
06-12-2007, 01:01 AM
I do most anything and everything for my customers. That is a very big part of my business. I go to do their 3 hour lawn and am there for sometimes 9 hours. I have hauled stuff for them, moved things for them, moved them, babysat the carpet cleaning guy, met a truck driver for a wine cooler delivery, clean the garage, wash the garage floor, change light bulbs and smoke detector batteries, hung pictures, painted, stained, refinish their windows & patio furniture, wash windows, deliver their car at the airport before they arrive, pick the car up at the airport when they leave, pick up UPS packages, have UPS packages sent to my house, even deived a car 80 miles away one day and picked it up and brought it back 2 days later (did that twice), take storm windows out and out screens in & vice verse. Have taken their cars in to have the window replaced, chips filled, filled up with gas, washed, drop car off at machanic to be checked or fixed, take their car in to have snows put on in the fall and snows taken off inthe spring and the list goes on.

I am a service company, pretty much their property manager and also do their lawns and snow plowing. Anything I can not do or choose not to do, I call someone else to do it. The more I can do at one place, the better, cuts down on windshield time and fuel costs. Right now we only have 12 properties that we manage and would like to see that number at 20.

1MajorTom
06-12-2007, 09:06 AM
so how do you charge for something like meeting the delivery truck driver for a wine cooler.. say he runs late and ends up taking 2 hours... what do bill for that? or how do you bill for changing light bulbs?
just curious.

ECS
06-13-2007, 08:39 AM
For the wine cooler, the clock started when we left the house. It is a 30 min drive to get there. They got charged an hour drive time plus the time at the house. If the delivery is late, too bad, nice easy money. Charge hourly. Light bulbs get checked befor the homeowner arrives and changed during our weekly house check. If they want one done or need one done, we will simply change it while we are there. With the exception of doing the lawns and snow, everything is hourly.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
In answer to the question "Are you more then an LCO?"

My first response was ... Yes ... I am a parent. :weightlifter:

RedMax Man
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah i can be more than an LCO, but i'm not taken advantage of by customers. I've done small things, changed light bulbs, got the mail, brought the trash out, place a birdfeeder or plant pot on a hook, moved an outdoor table etc...

Last week i was helping my dad on a small construction job. He has a large enclosed trailer that he works out of. He pulled up to the job in his truck and trailer and i came in just my truck no trailer. The guy nextdoor comes out onto his deck and asks if we could mow his lawn ofter we mowed at the house where we were. I explained that where not doing and mowing r landscaping, just installing a new hand rail on the front steps. I then told him that i'm a landscaper and gave him a price to do it once. I came the next day cut the lawn, real easy and got paid then asked if they needed someone for rest of the season and he said yes so i got another weekly maintenance account.

ECS
06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Here is an example of one customer for the month of May.

Lawn care - $600.00
Total invoice - $2821.25

Here is another example

Lawn - $320.00
Total invoice - $2197.09

Both properties I did most of the work while I was there to do the lawn. I did go back to both properties and do extra after the rest of my lawns were done.

I will galdly stay at a property and do the extras with no drive time, no extra fuel, no equipment.

daysel
06-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I don't do anything else unless paid. If they ask me to do something that I don't mind doing, I just do it and tell them how much more they owe.