PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharpeners

The Grass Guy
06-11-2007, 03:04 AM
I am new to the site and would like to ask a question outside of the sponsor forum,Does anyone use the Magna Matic 8000 sharpener,I have talked to the Magna Matic guys on the phone and they seem to have all the knowledge,I have also talked with most of the shops in the area about sharpening blades,I have heard everything from bench grinders to hand held grinders and fancy hip movements to keep the grind going uniforum.How do you guys do it, I did order a balancer, figured that was a no brainer.

Midwest Lawn Services
06-11-2007, 04:07 AM
I am new to the site and would like to ask a question outside of the sponsor forum,Does anyone use the Magna Matic 8000 sharpener,I have talked to the Magna Matic guys on the phone and they seem to have all the knowledge,I have also talked with most of the shops in the area about sharpening blades,I have heard everything from bench grinders to hand held grinders and fancy hip movements to keep the grind going uniforum.How do you guys do it, I did order a balancer, figured that was a no brainer.

Don't use the Magna Matic 8000, but my question is whats the balancer for? Take a wedge style punch, put a washer on the end of it, and balance the blade! I have been watching my father (a 25+ year JD mechanic) do this for YEARS, and I too now do it. I have seen some mowers with thousands of hours on them, never balanced a blade "the professional way," and never have had spindle or bearing problems. Just my experience and 2 cents worth.

Mowing Freak
06-11-2007, 09:25 AM
Whether you use a blade grinder or a bench grinder rigged up to sharpen blades, I think you will be much happier with a set up just to sharpen blades. For me, I think the edge last longer and cuts much smother that a hand grinder job. I also say to balance your blades as that cuts down on that much more vibration in the deck. Do a search and you will find many topics about blade grinders to see which one people think is the best. I use an oregon brand but at the time didn't have the money for a top of the line. 3rd year using it and will keep using it 'till it dies but there are better ones out there.

The Grass Guy
06-11-2007, 02:51 PM
Thanks guys for the two replies, from what I understand as long as you do it you benefit, how you do it is like everything else wide open.

lazer 46
06-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I've had the Magnamatic 9000 for 3 yrs now and it's the best investment I've made and I am solo. A lot of guys sharpen blades a lot of different ways and a lot of guys are happy with the results they get. I use to sharpen them with a hand grinder. I hated doing it and found myself leaving blades on the mower too long because I just hated doing the sharpening. And the blades I did sharpend didn't stay sharp long. Bought the mag 9000 and just love it. sharpen in no time, get the correct angle and it's a breeze. And I do have the balancer and it does work and I have less vibration in the deck.

J&T Kiev
06-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I've had the Magnamatic 9000 for 3 yrs now and it's the best investment I've made and I am solo. A lot of guys sharpen blades a lot of different ways and a lot of guys are happy with the results they get. I use to sharpen them with a hand grinder. I hated doing it and found myself leaving blades on the mower too long because I just hated doing the sharpening. And the blades I did sharpend didn't stay sharp long. Bought the mag 9000 and just love it. sharpen in no time, get the correct angle and it's a breeze. And I do have the balancer and it does work and I have less vibration in the deck.

I have the same model.

I sharpen a fairly respectable amount of blades each week; magna matic sharpeners are an indispensable tool for me to perform the task. Follow the cut off edge on The Magna Matic's work table; you get a perfect angle, and sharp blade in 1 minute or less. Magna Matic is the only lawn mower blade sharpener that provides an angle reference point. When you lower the grinding wheel almost to the work table, you will always produce a 30 degree angle on the blade, no matter what diameter the wheel is at. It was designed from the ground up for one purpose, to sharpen lawn mower blades.
I balance blades with the Magna balancer , but I will say if I didn't, I wouldn't lose sleep over it as long as the blades were sharpened properly.

The Grass Guy
06-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Thanks again guys,I have just started this business and trying to do it the right way,got it legal,then got equipment,now building the have to have stuff to keep the accounts looking good. I cant tell you how happy I was to find this site where I can get the help im looking for, it seems all the local cutters talk a good game but when it comes to helping the new guy its kinda like helping the other team score or something.

TAZ
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
I have an oregon blade grinder (much cheaper model than the magna but the same basic concept... should have flipped the extra coin for the magna) the constant end product is much easier to obtain and the constant edge seems to stay sharper longer. It's quick and easy to use. I have tried a few different balancers and now have the magna matic balancer. It's way more sensitive than anything else I have used. Some guys balance and some don't. I do know that most off the shelf blades are not balanced. Some are out quite a bit. When they are balanced they do produce less vibration. Whether or not that means less spindle issues I can't say but it certainly can't hurt.

-TAZ

deereequipment
06-12-2007, 09:49 PM
good to hear everyone's opinion.

I just ordered the Magna 9000, and was hoping I didn't waste all that money.
I am so tired of my bench grinder, that I too leave the blades on the mower too long.

Can't wait for it to come off of BackOrder.

Ted Bell
06-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Unless you do a dozen pair of blades a week, I don't understand why folks do not just use a angle grinder + flap discs to sharpen the blades. Very simple. Very effective. I don't need to go spend $300 for a fancy grinder to get the job done.

timmac
06-12-2007, 11:59 PM
how much does one of these things cost?

Cubguy
06-13-2007, 12:23 AM
Magna Matic 9000 $618.00 list
Magna Matic 8000 $1098.00 list

The Grass Guy
06-15-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey TED if you run accross any of Magna Matics stuff for 300 bucks let me know,thats pretty close to half of what their sharpeners start at. In my opinion as long as your happy with your end result and your accounts look good when your done I guess you could beat them with a rock to sharpen em. Thanks again guys I think I see one in my very near future.

Wet1
06-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Unless you do a dozen pair of blades a week, I don't understand why folks do not just use a angle grinder + flap discs to sharpen the blades. Very simple. Very effective. I don't need to go spend $300 for a fancy grinder to get the job done.
That's what I've found to work the best for me. :)

Mark
06-16-2007, 08:19 PM
:usflag: Ive had the RBG-218 pro grinder for yrs, i can do a perfect job with this grinder, im on my 2nd wheel, i also use the diamond tip dresser keeps that wheel in great shape......Marks Mowing Service

redbird103
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
how does the angle grinder with flap discs work?

The Grass Guy
08-29-2007, 02:55 AM
Couldnt wait any longer I broke down and purchased the Magna Matic system,The 8000, 1000 and the work station. The cut is really nice, the only regret I have is that i should have done it sooner. Today was spent on the backup blades getting the 30 degrees back and fixing the mess ups I did with an angle grinder. I even went to the shop and bought a new set of blades (3) they were out of balance when I got home ( yes I did balance them) so I fixed em right up. I think this was one of the best purchases Ive ever made,of course you wont hear me complaining if my competition still wants to use other means to sharpen thier blades, Even thought about offering to sharpen blades on rainy days (if we ever get any )for other cutters.