PDA

View Full Version : Brick marking and cutting tools for patios?

Shady Brook
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I am looking for suggestions on tools that will help me mark out cuts on pavors for patios and walkways. I have read in places on the forum where some guys have special marking tools? Any help would be appreciated. Also, any secrets for cutting curves would be great. I would like to cut much of the material in place with a cutoff saw. I have heard you can do more detail work with a smaller diameter blade... any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

neversatisfiedj
06-11-2007, 09:49 AM
www.pavetech.com

copeblk
06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
1)a hard lead pencil
2) a steady hand and good eye

Bill S
06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
piece of 1" pvc that allows some bend, sharp blade and marking crayon

ChampionLS
06-13-2007, 12:53 PM
I use a carpenter's pencil with RED lead. They're kind of rare to find (I get them from Clayton Block here in NJ). The RED lead does not blow off like regular pencil lead and will last just long enough to pass thru your wet saw. It washes off easily with water and some rubbing. You can use soapstone for marking, but that washes off very easily- good for dry cutting.

Total Landscape Solutions
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Snap edge and a black sharpie

John Zaprala
06-15-2007, 03:05 PM
We use something similar to the PVC idea (good one BTW) We use a fiberglass flexible rod from a greenhouse, but sometimes also use tent poles. I'm talking about the ones that fold up and bend. we have 2 guys hold the curve and one draw the line. Then match up the pole with that curve and continue down the line. Then we take the cut saw and cut the whole curve maybe 1/4" down once. Then go all the way through pulling away the cut pieces as you go. Obviously there will be a few you need to pull out and cut like up against steps or walls.

ChampionLS
06-16-2007, 01:40 AM
Thats exactly how we do it. Watch out for that toxic dust cloud though!

Shady Brook
06-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the great ideas fellas! Boy that Pavetech has lots of tools to offer, but it sounds like most get by with the simple things.

Do you guys use stakes and lines, lazers, or some othe means of getting your grade?

Any other hints...? Thanks

leaflandscape
06-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Get a soapstone welders stone for marking, they're great and cheap. You can get them at TSC. We use a guillotine for tumbled flat pavers, or a ts 400 stihl for most anything.