PDA

View Full Version : What should be my next mower?

zz4guy
06-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I've started a part time lawn business with a 36" BOP mower and a 22" craftsman. Most of my properties I can do ok with the 36" but there are a few where the 36" is just not efficient anymore - it's too slow!

What would be the next step up you think? I want to grow a little and take on some larger properties so what would be some good advice for that?

Thanks.

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Depending on your amount of customers, and the size of the lawns, possibly a smaller ztr mower. Maybe a 46", 50" or 52". I would recommend ExMark, but I know there are several mowers on the market that will get the job done.

I would first worry about getting bigger/more yards. It sure would be frustrating to go out and buy a brand new ztr mower and not have any yards to make money off of it. Good luck.

dougmartin2003
06-11-2007, 10:42 AM
i have never used a commercail walk behind mower so i coulndt give u any advice, most of the yards around here are to big for a walkbehind, but even if you step up to a 52 inch z then you would see a improvement, look around your area for dealers who are close to you and go check them out, ask around. good service after the sale is a must. a bad dealer who sells a good machine can be worst then a good dealer who sell a bad machine, look around your area and talk to the dealers

MJS
06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
You might try one of the new standers; either a John Deere, or a Wright. I have read positive reviews on both, and I think that both are 52''.

TAZ
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
depends on the property really. You could go for a larger walk behind in 52 or a mid-sized Z. I like walk-behinds on most .5 acre or less properties Z's for the larger stuff where you can take advantage of the increased ground speed. It all boils down to preference, cost and the lawns you have.

-TAZ

mr.glenn
06-11-2007, 07:43 PM
First thing first! Who in your area is a dependable and reputable mower dealer? Us old timers know this is very important. 2nd, keep it simple such as a john deere 717a zero turn, hustler mini-z or a exmark. I love all 3 and they are very efficeint and are sit-down mowers. A stander is neat but will get old very quick if you land a large property.. These 3 cut all lawns neatly due to deck designs. good luck!