PDA

View Full Version : Grass types & differences

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-11-2007, 11:40 AM
I know that this is a total noob type question, but I know there are several different grass species (ie. Rye, St. Augustine...). My question is, are there different methods to cutting particular grasses. I know when I bought my mower, they offered me a special deck for Bahaya (at an extra charge of course). I have just recently been challenged to know these answers due to my increase commercial accounts. My residentials dont care and just want the grass cut. Any info would be nice. I can find the species on the net, but can not find the different ways to cut it. Thanks

cgaengineer
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
here are two links that should help. I advise you to pickup a lawn book and learn a few of the grasses in your area before you brown out someones lawn. Home Depot has a few good lawn books by Scotts...

http://www.organiclawncaretips.com/cutting_height_for_grass.html

http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1205.htm

capelawncare.com
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
How much extra did they charge you for that "special" bahia deck?????

bohiaa
06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I know that this is a total noob type question, but I know there are several different grass species (ie. Rye, St. Augustine...). My question is, are there different methods to cutting particular grasses. I know when I bought my mower, they offered me a special deck for Bahaya (at an extra charge of course). I have just recently been challenged to know these answers due to my increase commercial accounts. My residentials dont care and just want the grass cut. Any info would be nice. I can find the species on the net, but can not find the different ways to cut it. Thanks

:laugh: O Boy are you in trouble.....:laugh:

rob7233
06-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Go to the Bradford County Extension Service office and tell them your a homeowner. Check the Blue pages of the phone book for the location and number. Call and then go down there. Talk to a Master Gardener. You'll be glad you did. All the info comes from the University of Florida (research based). Good luck..

Grits
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
In florida the main grass types (at least in my area) are: St. Augustine, Centipede, Bermuda and Bahia.
St Augustine, cut it the longest. I like to cut it around 4 inches.
Centipede I like to cut around 3 inches.
Bermuda I cut about 1.5 inches.
Bahia, I hate this crap, I cut it about the same as St Agustine, because most the time it is mixed in with it.
Go to Lowes and find the book about grass. It has identifications and tips in it.

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I went last night and bought a pile of books. I actually did not pay anything for the "special" deck. My mower came with it at the cost of the dealer because they did not have any more with the standard deck at the warehouse. The cost of the deck is suppose to be add 500 dollars. The list price of my mower was $11,000 and I payed 8500 out the door. So I got a really good deal.

<<laughs at Bohiaa>>. Do not get me wrong, I do know a little bit, but I did not feel that I had enough knowledge to be concidered a Lawn Care Professional. True, I do have a good bit to learn, but there was a time that the best of the best did not know much about it.

I appreciate the help guys. I am loving reading these books. If I come across some good chapters, I will share them with you.

Until then, thanks for all the help and input!