PDA

View Full Version : New blades New noise?

kdlklm
06-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I put on a new set of blades, and now I have a bit of a rattling noise. My initial thought that I forgot to strap down the belt cover on the deck, but that was not the case. I went with a set of highlift blades, I was using medium lift before. The noise wasn't there until I change the blades. everything seems to be solid. Any thoughts as to why.

ahah
06-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Sometimes they make them a tad long. They might be hitting each other in the cutter housing.

GSPHUNTER
06-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Mine hit each other. I was going to get on here and ask if that was a problem, but haven't yet.

TLS
06-11-2007, 04:16 PM
If blades are touching, you have the wrong blades.

As for the rattling noise....they're probably way out of balance. Most new blades aren't even close to being balanced.

kdlklm
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
if they are hitting, is it generally a consistent rattling noise. that's amazing that they would sell something out of balance.

Nosmo
06-11-2007, 06:08 PM
It's true but it only takes a short time to check the new ones before you put them on. But if I were you I'd check to see if they are clearing everything under the deck and each other.

Nosmo

bohiaa
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
there flexing......

it may be a defect in the blades..... there made to flex.... but if there were a bad batch of steel... they will flex too much....it will make a whistleing noise and sometimes a whining sound.....

TAZ
06-12-2007, 11:20 AM
if they are hitting, is it generally a consistent rattling noise. that's amazing that they would sell something out of balance.

You would be surprized how far out of balance some brand new blades are. Manufacturing tolerances on length and the placement of the center mounting hole are just a few reasons why. If you have a good quality balancer you will see it.

-TAZ

kdlklm
06-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't have a balancer, what is usually the best technique to check them.

TLS
06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't have a balancer, what is usually the best technique to check them.

With a balancer.:rolleyes:

Mark in MD
06-13-2007, 08:57 AM
I bet what they're tapping against is the blade housing because the blades are just slightly longer than your old ones. No biggy. It'll stop soon enough.

kdlklm
06-29-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure what the problem was, but after the third mow, the sound is gone.

jkingrph
06-29-2007, 05:16 PM
I was using Gator blades on a JD LX277 lawn tractor a few years ago. The first set was fine. When I put the second set on occasionally I would hear a noise. I finally removed the deck and turned it over and discovered that the tips of the blades would actually touch and scrape each other. I then started grinding a little off the tips and retrying, and learned that the spindle hole in the blade was out of spec, a little too large, and would allow the blades to be slightly off center. I never could detect an out of balance condition or any vibration. By releiving the ends of all 3 blades by a few thousands it eliminated the problem.

kdlklm
06-29-2007, 05:25 PM
I wasn't able to hear the noise when I was on the machine, but when you're standing back with someone else running it, I picked up on it right away. But it's gone now, and hopefully it doesn't come back.