PDA

View Full Version : Tie-Downs?

zero_turn_freak
06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I am just curious, i see so many people just drive there mowers and drive away with out strapping it down, but do you tie down your equipment or use pro lockers etc...

carcrz
06-12-2007, 02:23 AM
I just drive onto the trailer. If my mowers are coming off over a 16" side rail, I have a lot more to worry about than my mowers.

markzrt1
06-12-2007, 07:13 AM
ANYTHING on a trailer should always be secured. Just the smart thing to do.

d&rlawncare
06-12-2007, 07:41 AM
ANYTHING on a trailer should always be secured. Just the smart thing to do.

And its the LAW.......in MICHIGAN and i am sure all states. 2 points on your license here in Michigan.

mike lane lawn care
06-12-2007, 09:39 AM
i tie them down, i should use stronger tie downs than the 500 lb ones i use, but it keps them from moving around at least.

RedMax Man
06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
I use rachet straps for both mowers and 2 bungies for the 21". I have a pair of Fast Straps for the walk behind but now i park it sideways and it would be harder to get it in and out so i took them off for now. I also have blocking screwed to the floor where the tires usually sit and that helps also.

nitro rookie
06-15-2007, 03:25 PM
Where can I buy some of these Fast Straps?

Thanks

TXNSLighting
06-16-2007, 04:07 PM
dont strap mine. its not a law here. i just like to drive up jump off and get to trimmin.

Uranus
06-16-2007, 04:30 PM
If I'm in the small neighborhoods I dont strap down my mowers. If I'm traveling more than 5 minutes down the road then I most likely will. I started being a good landscaper and securing everything now that the DOT is on our butts out here in western mass. My buddy already has 3 separate tickets for everything from not having his fire extinguisher properly mounted to being over weight in his F550.

RedMax Man
06-16-2007, 08:12 PM
If I'm in the small neighborhoods I dont strap down my mowers. If I'm traveling more than 5 minutes down the road then I most likely will. I started being a good landscaper and securing everything now that the DOT is on our butts out here in western mass. My buddy already has 3 separate tickets for everything from not having his fire extinguisher properly mounted to being over weight in his F550.

I hope those troopers stay out there.:laugh: I was mowing in NH yesterday and as was heading to the next account there was one behind me for a while, I kept looking in the mirror to make sure he wasn't trying to pull me over.

RedMax Man
06-16-2007, 08:14 PM
Where can I buy some of these Fast Straps?

Thanks

They are made by Green Touch which also makes other landscape tool racks and accessories. I got mine from www.gemplers.com

EMJ
06-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I did not use to tie mine equipment down, just locked the brake and go. Until I went to use my WB and it had an encounter with my ZT. Just enough damage to keep nonoperational for about a week. Now everything is secured.

MOWALLTHETIME
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
I Use The Ratchet Straps And D Rings In The Floor Of The Trailer And Make Sure That I Strap Mowers Down If I Am Going More Than A Few Blocks Or Getting On Major Roads. I Used To Not Strap Things Down Since I Have 2 Foot Mesh Sides And A 5 Foot Gate ( Huge Pain ).
I Saw A Illegal Operation (mowing On The Side No Lisc Or Ins) Loose A Lazer Hp On The Freeway A Couple Of Years Ago. Some One Came Over Right In Front Of Him Then All Of The Sudden The Lane Slowed Down And He Had To Make Evasive Moves And The Lazer Went Forward And Then Back And The Gate Latches Broke.the Mower Rolled Over And Over At 70 Mph. Caused Quite A Mess. Fortunatley I Was Getting Off And The Next Exit And Was Over In The Off Ramp. If He Would Have Had 1 Strap On It He Would Not Have Lost It. Imagine Calling Your Insurance Guy And Telling Him Your 7000 Dollar Mower Is Destroyed Because You Were In A Hurry And Could Not Put One Strap On It. That Is If He Had Insurance.
I Modify My Ratchet Straps So I Do Not Have Extra Strap Or Problems Associates With Strapping Equipment Down . I Have Found That On Using The Straps With Out The Hooks Speeds Up The Process And You Can Attach To The Mower On More Places. I Take Ratchet Straps And Cut Off The Hook End And Melt The Ends So They Do Not Unravel. I Take And Run The Strap Around The Frame Of The Mower And Run Both Ends Back Through The Ratchet And Thereyou Go. I Also Had To Put In D Rings In The Floor Since I Have 2 Foot Mesh Sides And It Is A Pain To Strap Down. I Got Some Heavy Duty D-rings At Tsc For About 7 Dollars Each. 2 Minutes Of Time Is Alot Cheaper Than New Equipment Or A Lawsuit.