PDA

View Full Version : How do you come up with your rates?

WJW Lawn
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Im taking the exam for my license in 2 weeks, and Im wondering how to set up my rates for fertilizing. Obviously they don't teach you this in the fert training manuals...and since I've never applied this stuff illegally...Im a little lost on how to price. I know Chem Lawn and Weed Man are big around here, and I'd like to be somewhat competetive with them. So...if anyone has a formula that would be great! Ive heard some say...Mowing Rate X materials...or 2Xmowing rate plus materials. But again...Im looking to steal a few fert jobs away from crappy Tru-green that currently crap up the lawns I cut. Any advice??? :drinkup:

Ric
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Cost Plus your Profit Margin. But be sure to capiture all your costs.

WJW Lawn
06-11-2007, 07:29 PM
So mowing rate X materials?

americanlawn
06-11-2007, 07:43 PM
WJW Lawn -- Charge 4 to 5 times what you have in chemical costs?.....or, (best bet), try to find out what local competitors are charging for different-sized lawns. Ask friends & relatives to get "free quotes" from your competitors. I know this is suggestion that upsets me as a professional, but eventually, you will find the answers you need. Good luck if you are an honest, hard-working American. If you're a small business, your chemical costs may be much higher, so you have to keep this in mind regarding pricing. Good luck, americanlawn

Grandview
06-11-2007, 08:30 PM
You want to charge what the market can bear and find a way to make a profit. American has some good points. Since you have mowing accounts that use Chemlawn ask them what they are paying. Many people would rather use one service.

DUSTYCEDAR
06-11-2007, 09:05 PM
u cant use what the big guys r charging as a cost for u to do it
u will pay more for product and it will pry take u longer to put it down so u have to charge what u need to make a buck dont do it for free u would be better off not doing it at all
i am not saying find out what the others r charging but u cant use there numbers to turn a buck for yourself when i decided to charge what i felt my time was worth i started to make more money with less work.
good luck and get out and make a buck or 3

ampeg76
06-11-2007, 11:24 PM
as far as fertilizer rates go, put down what the lawn needs, do a soil test and take the guess work out!

if you want to cram in 8 apps a year(yikes), you will have to keep in mind how many total pounds of nitrogen and potassium you apply per thousand!

things can get ugly real quit when you don't know what the hell you are doing:)