PDA

View Full Version : (PICS) of big job?? HELP ME!!

mg10117
06-11-2007, 07:53 PM
This guy wants all beds weeded, all bushes trimmed, 17-18 yards of black dye mulch applied, weed mat placed under mulch in rear beds, fresh river rock applied over top the old river rock, and 5 of those big red bushes bordering the pool ripped out. what do ya think? how much $$$ do I charge...thanks again P.S. it looks much worse in person...

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-11-2007, 08:17 PM
What do you have to work with (dump truck, 5X8 trailer, 7X16 trailer) all the RIGHT equip? Are you solo, a helper, a crew? All these would determine price due to overhead, fuel (how many trips you have to make dumping clippings and pickup of mulch). With a little more info you'll get better repsonses.

mg10117
06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
more pics of this mess!!:confused:

mg10117
06-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I have a dump truck that holds 7 yards. I aslo have a 5x10 trailer. As for a crew, not really, I will have to call all 3 of my part time workers to help me with this one. And I figure 2 trips to the dump...What do you think? thanks for help...

bohiaa
06-11-2007, 09:57 PM
WOW what a mess.....

cant help ya on price..... you know what to do...

how much to run your truck down the road, how much will material cost ya.
how much do you pay your help... how long will it take......
how much to dump.....

Grits
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Rough estimate....$2500-$3500

kevin11946ny
06-11-2007, 10:11 PM
$2500-$3500 for this mulch job..

I have a yard its around 40 cubic yards of muclh plus they asked to remove the old mulch, ive never did a mulch job before. Im not sure what to bid on this size, plus the mulch bed is 200 feet long and 20-30 feet wide and the whole thing is slightly up hill.

how muclh mulch can i hold in a 7x16 trailer with 4 foot plywood walls?

this is my fisrst time doing this...and from your pictures, your job looks like nothing compared to this job i looked out today to put a bid on tomorrow i will also try to post a pic.

DAm if your going to bid $3k i should be asking $6k.

well hope we all make money,

plus this house im out is a 5million dollar home i nthe hamptons.

good luck.
kevin

Grits
06-11-2007, 10:13 PM

I have a yard its around 40 cubic yards of muclh plus they asked to remove the old mulch, ive never did a mulch job before. Im not sure what to bid on this size, plus the mulch bed is 200 feet long and 20-30 feet wide and the whole thing is slightly up hill.

this is my fisrst time doing this...and from your pictures, your job looks like nothing compared to this job i looked out today to put a bid on tomorrow i will also try to post a pic.

DAm if your going to bid $3k i should be asking $6k.

well hope we all make money,

plus this house im out is a 5million dollar home i nthe hamptons.

good luck.
kevin

He isn't just mulching.

mg10117
06-11-2007, 10:28 PM
dont forget about trimming all the bushes, weeding, weed barrier, and river rock?? think more maybe:confused: ?

Kate Butler
06-11-2007, 10:35 PM

good luck.
kevin

How much mulch depends on the load rating of your trailer. I have a 6' x 12' with tandem axles rated @ 7,000 lbs. I can rarely get more than 4 yards on and must go plentydamn slow or it'll pull the truck (F250) all over the road. It's the weight of the mulch, not the volume you can pack in - check your axle rating and ask us again.

kevin11946ny
06-11-2007, 10:37 PM
how much weight is 40 cubic yards of mulch, i have no idea ive never done this.

kevin11946ny
06-11-2007, 10:43 PM
4 cu yards of mulch weights 7000lbs???

ive never done mulching but how big of a pile is 40 cu yards of muclh?

i have property that needs a 200x30ft. area to have mulch laid down.

what am i getting myself into??

PerfectEarth
06-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Probably........ ballpark..........um, 4,300- 4,800 ??? That's a large cleanup. I'm doing one about that size right now for 3,500. But it is straight trimming, weeding, pruning and mulching. No tearouts, rock, horrible fabric, etc.

Scagguy
06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
According to the guy where I buy my mulch from, a yard of mulch weighs between 700-750 lbs.

RedMax Man
06-11-2007, 11:41 PM
First figure materials(which is usually the easiest to estimate because you just measure square footage etc.)

Then estimate removal / dumping fees.

Next estimate hours of labor which directly effects how many guys you have working on the job.

My rough estimate including material would be in the range of $3500 - $4500.

There is alot of very meticulous work there. many plantings to work around also.

jbone
06-11-2007, 11:43 PM
he said his trailer is rated for 7k, not how much the mulch weighs.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-11-2007, 11:47 PM
$1,500 for just the trimming of the bushes, pulling all those dam weeds, haul away debris, and to put down the new fabric. I usually charge $75 per yard of mulch (this includes cost of mulch and labor to put down), so if you have 18 yards that would be $1,350 plus $225 for 3 trips so theres $1,575. So my guess would be $3,075 plus the cost of the river rock (not sure how much you need or what it cost).

Grits
06-11-2007, 11:57 PM
dont forget about trimming all the bushes, weeding, weed barrier, and river rock?? think more maybe:confused: ?

Forgot the river rock......definitley on the high side of $3500 plus.

HFS
06-12-2007, 12:18 AM
WoW! I would be thinking it's more of $4,500 minimum. Also you should look into getting some additional laborers from a temp service for half a day to help get the work done in a reasonable time frame. Have them move the mulch and clean-up of the rear beds. Whatever you do hold your ground on the price you come up with. It looks to me like the homeowner has the money so make sure they pay you what it's worth. LATER...

HFS
06-12-2007, 12:30 AM
I forgot to ask you. (I mean no disrespect.) Are you able to handle the detailed pruning and trimming of those shaped bushes and do you plan to use a liquid chemical to help with the weed control? LATER...

sheshovel
06-12-2007, 02:23 AM
I have no way of knowing how productive you are or how well you use your time. For example, weeding out that bed by the drvwy/walkway would take me about 10-15 min. It sounds like you do not want to do this job. Do you? Can you handle the pruning? If I were you I would charge by the hour $40.00 to 45.00 for you only about 60-70 hours? Then add your materials, removal and dump fees to that. Tell him you don't know how long it will take you and give him a rough est
of $4000.00 labor and materials, inform him that it could go higher.

Bigray
06-12-2007, 08:41 AM
as a example early this year i put in some plants for a cust.
it incl. roto. up the ground and planting appox. 50 plants and laying dw. 50 bags of marble rock around his pool area

i chg'd. 1700.oo tx. incl. had appox. 15 hours invested plus COG.

mg10117
06-12-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks for feed back!!

GreenT
06-12-2007, 03:10 PM
WoW! I would be thinking it's more of $4,500 minimum. Also you should look into getting some additional laborers from a temp service for half a day to help get the work done in a reasonable time frame. Have them move the mulch and clean-up of the rear beds. Whatever you do hold your ground on the price you come up with. It looks to me like the homeowner has the money so make sure they pay you what it's worth. LATER...

I agree. I would quote that job at around 5 grand minimum, maybe closer to 6 if the pictures are not showing the whole scope.

Also, Sheshovel gave you a good suggestion, specially since it looks like you haven't done a job this size before and might be having a hard time estimating.

A lot of guys get in over their heads and underbid because all they see is a bunch of $$$ coming their way without fully knowing their total cost and amount of effort involved. Keep in mind that you need to get paid properly for your work, it is hard labor.

Don't underbid just to get the job, by the second day (once the reality of the magnitude sets in) you'll be pissed you did.

sheshovel
06-12-2007, 03:22 PM

He should charge what it's worth regardless if the homeowner looks like they have the $$ or not. Whether a client "looks like" they have the money should not enter into the equation when estimating work to be performed. What he does need to consider, is if he can do this work productively enough to make it worth it to his client as well.

ed2hess
06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Don't they deliver mulch in NJ? The job is not as bad as you are thinking.... a crew of 5 could easily do that work in two day. I would mulch all the bush trimming so the only hauling is those big bushes and they can be bundled and put on a truck. I would start with round up to know everything down and use pre-m to ensure no weeds are coming back even with the cloth. I sure wish I could get $5K for a job like that.....must be big money up north.

Patriot Services
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
That was probably a show piece of landscaping when it was installed. If it were me I would get a dumpster delivered and have all the materials delivered. You can eat up an awful lot of time picking up materials and making dump runs. Most of the work is basic pretty basic weeding and spreading. The grass needs some TLC too. The big question is how good are you with the trimming. Those bushes are almost topiary and you can butcher them good with hedge trimmers.. I would think 3500-4000 for the whole job. I know your stomach must be in knots over this one.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

TLS
06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
Holy THISTLE Batman!

Is there a nearby field full of thistle? Or did he get his original mulch from a place located near a thistle field?

Definitely Round-Up the beds, and give it a week to make sure you got it all. Hand pulling will have that thistle up through the new mulch in just a few days.

mg10117
06-12-2007, 09:31 PM
patriot, im average at trimming hedges, what do recommend me trimming topiaries with if not hedge trimmers?

MOWEMJEFF
06-12-2007, 11:36 PM
That was probably a show piece of landscaping when it was installed. ...... I know your stomach must be in knots over this one.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

I know right, whenever I have a big job I can barely sleep the night before and wish I could start working right then just to get it over with. But the satisfaction when it's done is great, especially when it looks awesome.

If I were you I would have all the supplies delivered and definitly have at least 2 people working with you, a person crew would not only take forever but the work speed will be slower then if 3 people are splitting duties. 4 would be best so 2 could leave to make the dump runs while the other 2 continue to push the pace of work. As for any other advice...I'll just say good luck.

HFS
06-13-2007, 12:05 AM
He should charge what it's worth regardless if the homeowner looks like they have the $$ or not. Whether a client "looks like" they have the money should not enter into the equation when estimating work to be performed. What he does need to consider, is if he can do this work productively enough to make it worth it to his client as well.

*trucewhiteflag* That is true and that's what I was saying in a simple way. And for the record. Many of us have tried to hand over some advice while asking questions about this post with little feed pack from the poster. Sooooooo, all I have to work off of about this client is the photos; instead of things like past history and demeanor? Were both saying the same things! LATER...:drinkup:

sheshovel
06-13-2007, 12:26 AM
patriot, im average at trimming hedges, what do recommend me trimming topiaries with if not hedge trimmers?

Good pair of sharp shears.

mg10117
06-13-2007, 09:18 AM
HFS, there is no past history with this customer. I just started in the business, thats probably why I decided to create a thred under "Starting a Lawn Care & Landscaping Business". What a shocker?? I talked with potential customer for 5 minutes. His demeanor was nice, but didnt realize demeanor was as important as pics of the actual job? As for taking pictures, I figured they were worth a 1,000 words. HFS if you dont like wasting your time with rookies, and giving advice, why are you on a beginner forum?? I dont understand?

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone else for their advice, It has been very helpful...

HFS
06-13-2007, 12:01 PM
HFS, there is no past history with this customer. I just started in the business, thats probably why I decided to create a thred under "Starting a Lawn Care & Landscaping Business". What a shocker?? I talked with potential customer for 5 minutes. His demeanor was nice, but didnt realize demeanor was as important as pics of the actual job? As for taking pictures, I figured they were worth a 1,000 words. HFS if you dont like wasting your time with rookies, and giving advice, why are you on a beginner forum?? I dont understand?

Anyway, I would like to thank everyone else for their advice, It has been very helpful...

You know what, good for you for asking for help and starting your business. However allow me to say this. Giving advice is never a waste of time unless the person your giving it to is only waiting to hear what they want to hear. YES, pictures are worth a thousands words. And when used in the aid of a question they are not only worth a thousand words, but more questions. As it comes to demeanor. With my life experience I have found that a persons demeanor is a good tool in learning more about them. You need to be able to read their tone of voice, body-language, and general actions in-order to make a better choice of if you need to be doing business with this person or not, or if you need to be more selective in your approach with use of words in-order to secure the job.

To me those pictures tell me without explanation; that heres a homeowner with a 1/2 million dollar home with about $20k plus in original landscaping which has been let go along with the whole yard. The first thing I would of done since you have no history with this client is to spend more than just 5 minutes with them. For a job of this magnitude and price you should of spent at least 15-20 minutes just discussing the landscape and bouncing things off the homeowner to find out their price range and to ensure that you both have the same understanding of what your looking at. I would then B.S. with the homeowner for a few minutes to try and find something in common (only on larger bids) so after the homeowner reviews multiple bids they hopefully think of you. People like to do business with those they have things in common with. This is your biggest tool since your smaller in size and can easily be under bid by a larger company. My guess is that this homeowner is taking multiple estimates/bids for the work, and if they're not they more than likely will get another estimate from a competitor once they get the sticker shock from your estimate and try and get you to come down a little.

Heres more unwanted and unthankful advice for you. If you do end up winning the bid on this property. Make sure you receive no less than 50% of the total cost up front. Any less walk away. Also in future posts of job help do include pictures, but also include other basic information such as total square footage of working areas, and try to answer your own question first so others can get an idea of your angle not just a simple "what should I charge?" I'm tired of people not using common sense before asking for pricing help. (((Materials + Fees + X Estimated Labor Hours at $$$ = Total))) I mean how hard is that??? Lastly, you should post a few pictures after completion if you get the job so we can see what your capable of. LATER...

MOWEMJEFF
06-13-2007, 12:03 PM
It's probably good for you that there is little feedback, I would assume this mean you are rather busy, I know I didn't post on here for about 5 days straight because all I wanted to do when I finally packed it away from the day at 830-9pm everyday was have a beer, some food and pass out. Unfortunately for me its raining and I'm sitting here typing this and watching the price is right. My best advice is even if you realize you underbid the second day into this project don't skimp on the work, make it look amazing reguardless, you can only make one first impression and from the looks of the neighborhood you want it to be a good one. And post a sign in the yard while your working.

Patriot Services
07-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Ok MG how did it go. I hate when folks start these threads and we never find out what happened and if any of our advice helped.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

mattfromNY
07-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I want to see 'After' Pics, too!
I just got rained off a small cleanup job today, I figure I'll snoop on lawnsite until it quits raining.

Eakern & Dog
07-15-2007, 05:59 PM
Just a heads up.......It looks like some of those shrubs in the photos may be azaleas. I can't be a 100% sure, but if they are azaleas and you prune them after July or so, you will be sacrificing some buds for next Spring's blooming season. You may want to mention this to your customer. Good luck !

mg10117
07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
thanks for all the help, it helped in making an estimate...I know that other landscapers in the area gave estimates for this job too...but, still no word from homeowner, and no work has been done to his home, still looks like sh!t...guess he just wasted all of our time...or maybe he ran out of money:confused: :confused: who knows??...but if i hear anything more I will update...thanks for all the feedback...

RLW
07-16-2007, 12:24 AM

What? no bark blowing service out east?

thefed
07-16-2007, 01:57 AM
i could do that job for 2400 plus the river rock labor/materials....tough to see how much there is

4 days, 2 people

ACutAbovesiny
07-16-2007, 03:06 AM
Rough estimate....$2500-$3500

Im in there with you around $2,800-$3,300.

All_Toro_4ME
07-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Unless you REALLY need the job, skip it. I'd rather make the Benjamins riding around on my ZMaster cutting grass, then picking the weeds and such in the hot sun. Later.....