PDA

View Full Version : Scag or Quick?

green-pa
06-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I just got approved by a loan company for $3500 or more. I only have a 21 now. About 1/2 of my properties have gates or too small of a yard to utilize anything bigger than a 32, but the other 1/2 have open yards or large gates.
This loan company is tied in with Scag dealers I believe. Should I go ahead and get a scag 36 or 48 or should I go with a quick 36? Also, the acreage productivity for scag wb 36's is listed at 9.5 acres/8 hour work day on the scag site. Is this real or a fabricated #?

TAZ
06-12-2007, 10:57 AM
I never have bought into those acreage per hour deals. It's a straight forward mathmatical formula that they use for ground speed and deck width minus overlap. Obsticles more often than not govern your productivity.

One thing about the quick 36 is beacuse it's short you can snake it sideways into some gates narrower than 36". On the other hand a 48" scag would be more productive and let you take on more large properties. In either case you are making a huge improvement over a 21".

The choice really boils down to personal preference. I have followed some of your posts and kinda know your situation. The scag would sell quick if you needed to move it. The quick is small and light.

One question for you though is being a small operation are you pulling a trailer or loading everything in the back of your truck? That could make the outcome of your decision a little different.

-TAZ

irishsoul
06-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I guess if I didn't mind the additional debt I'd go for a larger machine if it were practical. Taz is right; trailer or truck? Also I haven't met a gate I couldn't get my Quick thru, so far. Dual hydro is sweet and again if you're cool with the expense go for it. I still stand by what I've said all along, the Quick 36 is money extremely well spent and I promise you won't regret your purchase.

irishsoul
06-12-2007, 01:13 PM
You'll also have the strongest right thumb in town!

green-pa
06-12-2007, 01:26 PM
What is this about strongest right thumb? I'd like to try out the quick before I get in over my head in debt on something else. Either way I'd be in debt. I like being able to just use the truck, but I'm hoping a trailer wouldn't slow me down too much. I wonder what that would bring my mpg to? I'm at about 12mpg with my ram now I think. Would a 5x10 with a 36 wb, 21 in, and tools, bring it to around 10mpg or? The quick looks really nice and compact but how long has it been around? Scag has been the #1 pro choice for years and has been out since like '83 so it seems they'd be the more reliable unit.

irishsoul
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Granted the Quick is a young mower, about five years old I think. the product and support are really excellent so I guess that only time will tell if the company itself will be around for years to come. They've expanded their product line and that bodes well for them. The right thumb thing is that the reverse lever is operated by the right thumb and it is notoriously heavy --- it takes some getting use to. It is my only complaint at all about the unit and really it isn't very bad.

BUCKEYE MOWING
06-12-2007, 04:12 PM
I guess if I didn't mind the additional debt I'd go for a larger machine if it were practical. Taz is right; trailer or truck? Also I haven't met a gate I couldn't get my Quick thru, so far. Dual hydro is sweet and again if you're cool with the expense go for it. I still stand by what I've said all along, the Quick 36 is money extremely well spent and I promise you won't regret your purchase.

I second irishsoul ...The Quick is money well spent ...dual hydros are nice but they are costly . If you can afford it and want it ...go for it ...you want to save some $$ and still get a quality machine..get the Quick !

fiveoboy01
06-12-2007, 04:42 PM
What is this about strongest right thumb? I'd like to try out the quick before I get in over my head in debt on something else. Either way I'd be in debt. I like being able to just use the truck, but I'm hoping a trailer wouldn't slow me down too much. I wonder what that would bring my mpg to? I'm at about 12mpg with my ram now I think. Would a 5x10 with a 36 wb, 21 in, and tools, bring it to around 10mpg or? The quick looks really nice and compact but how long has it been around? Scag has been the #1 pro choice for years and has been out since like '83 so it seems they'd be the more reliable unit.

I think that 10mpg would be realistic for that truck and trailer combo if you're easy on the gas pedal.

You can't really go wrong with either mower. My opinion is that the Scag will be more durable and last longer. You said you got approved for 3500, I am not familliar with Scag's prices, but I do know that you can't get a dual-hydro 36" Exmark for that:)

Also, is the Scag dealer nearby? You'll be able to get parts real quick for it if necessary and if there's a repair job you can't handle, you can take the mower in to get serviced.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-12-2007, 05:43 PM
My ram gets 10mpg without a load and it gets 10mpg with a load. I got a 360 with towing package (heavier tranny, different rear end etc) and im guessing my trailer loaded weighs maybe 2k? It wont rape your gas mileage that much to outweigh the comfort of a trailer.

ed2hess
06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Green-pa....this all comes down to whether you plan to cut grass long term or run a short term business. If you are going long term and have a sizeable business get the scag since it will last almost forever. And when you tired of mowing you can sell them and got a fair amount of your money back. Doubt that you can get a dual hydro Scag for $3500 unless it is used but the belt drive will be just fine.

green-pa
06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
There are several dealers in INdy I believe. And i know of one that is only like 3-4 miles away. They have some 36 scags that are under $3 grand but may be belt drives. I don't know if I can use my shefield credit line for a Quick although I like the compact size. Especially since I'm sorta compact
( at about 140 lbs). I think it's 470 lbs vs 250 lbs on the quick.

touhey33
06-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Green Pa,
I have a Quick 36 samurai, If you want to check it out pm me. It is a great machine very very easy to use, built jut as well as any other commercial mower, I use it for small yards and gated areas, as I have cub tank as well.