PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Mower's No Deal

puppypaws
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
Never did get the demo on the Lightening they promised me so faithfully.

I have never thought to much of people that did not do exactly what they said and should have done.

I don't know if this would reflect on customer support and service or not but they certainly did not stand behind there claim of a wonderful demo on a mower they told me I could not help but love.

They may have had a problem when I told them I ran Hustler Super Z's, there is a possibility they did not want me to make a comparison.

If I had a product I was proud of and thought it was a better machine, that person would definitely try my mower so I could prove the difference.

Seems like they may not want to compare with Hustler if they had I believe the demo would have come to me.

fiveoboy01
06-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I agree with all of your points.

If they're confident in their product, then they should have let you make the comparison. Of course, there's no saying for sure if this is why you didn't get the demo.

That being said, they should do what they say they're going to do. Nothing makes me madder than someone not following up on what they say they'll do.

If I were you, that would be the end of any type of relationship I would potentially have with their products.

jtrover
06-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Just because your dealer is not motivated does not mean that the Bad Boy is no comparison to Hustler, the Lightning will have a much smoother ride and will make just as good or better cut. You should look for another dealer close by and try for a demo there.

nitro rookie
06-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I don't if you can blame Bad Boy for this or the dealership they have selling their product. I got to demo one this past weekend. I've been reading all
over this site and they keep saying it all how the dealer is in support and
what they do for you. More or less.
Needless to say I am impressed with their product. Looking closer in to getting
the 30hp pup series. Not quite the same as the demo I tried, but still gives
you a good idea.
I did talk to a LCO last month who had bought a 30hp 60". He said he likes it just as good if not better than his Exmark, little reasons like easier to change blades and clean. But he only had 10 hrs on it when I talked to him about it.
He was also looking into buying 2 Diesel versions to mow our schools here.

12thKY
06-11-2007, 11:38 PM
I had trouble with the deck on my Bad Boy and they changed out, and now I am happy as a lark. I do have a good dealer who takes care of me. That may be the problem with you not getting the demo. If the dealer isn't pushing that line of mowers but another, why would he want you to demo the one he isn't wanting the sell?

puppypaws
06-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Just because your dealer is not motivated does not mean that the Bad Boy is no comparison to Hustler, the Lightning will have a much smoother ride and will make just as good or better cut. You should look for another dealer close by and try for a demo there.

I was dealing with a senior rep at the corporate office which was working through a big dealer in Charlotte, NC that sells Toro and Scag. I told him what the dealer was concentrating on selling and it was not his Bad Boy line.

There is no way the Bad Boy will ride better than my Super Z because it has the good suspension seat with a flex seat base mounted between the suspension seat and frame to give it a rocking chair motion and flex forks on the front to take the shock out of rough spots. I run this mower at 15 mph in places you could not stay on any other zero turn mower.

He actually promised me I could keep it a few days to compare it in different conditions, I actually thought he was really standing behind his product but that appeared to have changed somewhere along the line.

If the Bad Boy rides as good as he claimed, which he said it would be as good as my Super Z because of the additions, then he need not be afraid to bring it out and lets put it side by side. This is the only way to compare them properly.

Grits
06-11-2007, 11:46 PM
It says something that the Rep could not get you a demo. I would just stick with the Hustler!!

puppypaws
06-11-2007, 11:49 PM
It says something that the Rep could not get you a demo. I would just stick with the Hustler!!

That does concern you a little when a senior rep has no pull with his dealer's.

So what could they do with a dealer like that if you had a problem, that would be a little scary.

jtrover
06-12-2007, 09:07 AM
I know for a fact that the Bad Boy does have a better ride than the super z, because I demoed a super z last week with flex forks, suspension seat, etc. Bad Boy has great customer support, maybe you should call the factory.

nmurph
06-12-2007, 09:20 AM
do any of the badboys have any type of suspension?

jtrover
06-12-2007, 09:50 AM
The Bad Boy AOS, AOS Diesel, and Lightning models have a full suspension under them and a suspension seat.

nmurph
06-12-2007, 10:12 AM
i see they have some type of springer front end, what is on the back?

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 10:14 AM
I know for a fact that the Bad Boy does have a better ride than the super z, because I demoed a super z last week with flex forks, suspension seat, etc. Bad Boy has great customer support, maybe you should call the factory.

I will guarantee you the air pressure was to high, they always are from the dealer. I run 8 lbs. in mine and I also have another component which you did not have when you demoed the Super Z. The new flex seat they just came out with makes even more difference in the ride with the suspension seat and flex forks.

You have to compare everything to really know the difference, the air pressure is a major factor in the way a zero turn mower handles rough areas and I can tell the difference in 8 lbs. and 10 lbs. in my mower. The dealer usually sets them at 15 lbs. and even 12 gives a terrible ride.

If I can get my hands on a Bad Boy I will find out because I will personally see to it that the air pressure is lower than they ship the machine and the dealer sends them to the customer. The manufacture always ships them at a very high pressure to keep a flat spots from occurring on the tires, then during precheck the dealer is suppose to set them at manufactures specs.

If the Bad Boy Lightening rides and cuts better than my Super Z at 15 mph I will definitely tell it the way it is because I am only partial to the machine that has the best in ride, handling and cut at fast speeds.

One thing I can't understand, the 35 hp Vanguard should be a horse yet it only has 5.2 lbs. more torque than my 28 efi and the 32 Vanguard is the same torque as the 35, is that a misprint?

I was dealing with the factory on this demo and they did not come through.

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
The Bad Boy AOS, AOS Diesel, and Lightning models have a full suspension under them and a suspension seat.

The AOS is going to under go a complete transformation for 2008, from the information I have gathered it will possibly the top dog on the block. The suspension you are talking about is now full rubber bushing type suspension like is used under tractor trailer trucks on the front and rear of the mower.

They already had the rubber under the back suspension with a dual spring shock absorber on the front forks. The springs have been done away with and they are front and rear rubber suspension on the mowers you listed above.

There is going to be unbelievable changes for the better on the AOS model but I can't discuss it.

The factory is promising me a Lightening with the new rubber suspension all the way around to demo, so we will see.

Torquer
06-12-2007, 12:14 PM
For what it's worth, I just bought a new Lighting with the 32 hp Vanguard big block. This mower rides beautifully, the hydraulics are very quiet and the cut is as good or better than any I've seen to date.:usflag:

timturf
06-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I was dealing with a senior rep at the corporate office which was working through a big dealer in Charlotte, NC that sells Toro and Scag. I told him what the dealer was concentrating on selling and it was not his Bad Boy line.

There is no way the Bad Boy will ride better than my Super Z because it has the good suspension seat with a flex seat base mounted between the suspension seat and frame to give it a rocking chair motion and flex forks on the front to take the shock out of rough spots. I run this mower at 15 mph in places you could not stay on any other zero turn mower.

He actually promised me I could keep it a few days to compare it in different conditions, I actually thought he was really standing behind his product but that appeared to have changed somewhere along the line.

If the Bad Boy rides as good as he claimed, which he said it would be as good as my Super Z because of the additions, then he need not be afraid to bring it out and lets put it side by side. This is the only way to compare them properly.

. I run this mower at 15 mph
How is the quality of cut at this speed?

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 12:53 PM
. I run this mower at 15 mph
How is the quality of cut at this speed?

Excellent because I cut stiff bladed southern grass and weeds at 2.75", if it did not cut well at that speed I would not own a Hustler Super Z. I cut as fast as the 28 efi will push it over 50% of the time because I'm in large open areas.

Now if you tried to cut 3.25" and up like most people do it would not cut
worth a crap, probably would leave 25% at 3.5" running 15 mph.

It suits my cutting style and large open areas perfectly.

I hear people on this site say constantly you can not cut at 15 mph but I will tell you without doubt in my conditions at the height I cut it is no problem.

This mower is only good for larger areas, it is not worth 2 cents on postage stamp size lots where speed is useless anyway.

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
For what it's worth, I just bought a new Lighting with the 32 hp Vanguard big block. This mower rides beautifully, the hydraulics are very quiet and the cut is as good or better than any I've seen to date.:usflag:

I believe they have a very good mower and the one you have is probably the best because it has a vertical shaft engine which put more power to the blades.

I am really interested in checking out the ride also in comparison with what I have now. There is something I can't fully understand, the factory says you cannot tell any difference in the 32 and 35 Vanguard (same torque) as far as power. Then why do they offer a 35, that doesn't make sense to me, there has to be something different or Brigg's wouldn't have the two separate engines.

Torquer
06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
That's a good question. I haven't looked the two engines up on the Briggs web site so I don't know if the horsepower is at different rpm's or not. I can tell you this, the 32 big block is one powerful motor. Once the engine is warmed up and I'm mowing, I never hear a change in the sound of the engine. I've never heard the governor open at all. It mow's through our rye grass up here in central Michigan without a whimper!

GreenT
06-12-2007, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=puppypaws;1861286]I will guarantee you the air pressure was to high, they always are from the dealer. I run 8 lbs.

He's right. When I picked up my Hustler the tires were at 20 psi! At 8-10 psi it makes a huge difference.

nitro rookie
06-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I believe they have a very good mower and the one you have is probably the best because it has a vertical shaft engine which put more power to the blades.

I am really interested in checking out the ride also in comparison with what I have now. There is something I can't fully understand, the factory says you cannot tell any difference in the 32 and 35 Vanguard (same torque) as far as power. Then why do they offer a 35, that doesn't make sense to me, there has to be something different or Brigg's wouldn't have the two separate engines.

The 32hp's tq is at 2400 RPM and the 35 HP is at 2600 RPM.

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 05:52 PM
The 32hp's tq is at 2400 RPM and the 35 HP is at 2600 RPM.

I see this now explain the three hp difference with a 200 rpm torque curve but equal at 50 lbs. on both engines. I need a little more understanding of this. Thanks!

lawnmaniac883
06-12-2007, 06:52 PM
They dump more fuel into the same size engine block. BoreXStroke is the same on both models but the carb jets are bigger on the 35...increases hp leaves tq sitting there.

puppypaws
06-12-2007, 09:13 PM
They dump more fuel into the same size engine block. BoreXStroke is the same on both models but the carb jets are bigger on the 35...increases hp leaves tq sitting there.

OK, I understand but this morning I talked with one of the more knowledgeable people at the Bad Boy factory and he said there wasn't a noticeable difference in of power between the 32 and 35.

What would be the reasoning behind building an engine that there was not a noticeable difference in power yet it would consume more fuel.

Bad Boy is also working with the 38 hp Kohler in their application at this time.

I told him it would not be in the to far future that everything would have to be fuel injected because EPA standards were getting tougher on air quality.

He said "you are exactly right" then I said, can you imagine a 38 hp efi Kohler, it would have the strength of a 40+ hp engine. I said now that would be a real "BAD BOY" and he agreed.