PDA

View Full Version : What type of trailer is best???

extremerc76
06-11-2007, 11:49 PM
looking at upgrading to a new trailer, and have been thinking about both the good and the bad that comes with open and enclosed trailers. enclosed good = security, keep stuff dry, storage. enclosed bad = price, can't use for clean-up jobs. open good = use for leaf lean-up, firewood removal, price, and mowing. open bad = security, keep stuff dry.

what do you think i should get, looking more at open just because of price and it would allow me to make less trips to dump site.

thinking of single axel 12' maybe 14' holmes landscape trailer with extended sides
http://www.yorktrailer.com/single_axle_trailers.htm

boxsky
06-12-2007, 12:02 AM
I like enclosed. More secure, weather proof, rolling billboard to name a few.

rodfather
06-12-2007, 07:04 AM
enclosed and open have their respective places...that is why we have both.

FearThisDeere
06-12-2007, 08:50 PM
Both are good, but if you can afford an enclosed I would get it. Looks a little better (no offense to anyone, I have an open trailer), you can leave your stuff loaded, and don't have to worry about things being stolen. Plus if it rains, you have a place to get out of the weather.

BQLC
06-15-2007, 01:00 PM
I can see the benefits to both

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-15-2007, 01:40 PM
We also have both. An enclosed is a little heavier, but does look nicer when pulling up to a maintenance property. However, you cannot load mulch into an enclosed. I find that we use the open trailer much more than the enclosed. On rainy days it is usually the enclosed ( not too happy about wet mower seats ).

Bigray
06-15-2007, 06:19 PM
i also have both !
i prefer a dual axle trl. though to any length over 12'

unit28
06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
I have a 16 foot with 4 foot sides.
It's expanded metal with wood floor.

It's semi secure. Kinda hard to grab the big walk behinds and
lift them over.....LOL

I can put a lock on the ramp and cage so it's just as secure as an enclosed.

Well, unless I have plants on it but those never sit any length of time anyway.

Then there's the weather issue........:laugh: The salt in the winter is killing the beast.

I wish I had a 16' aluminum with 4 foot sides and a removable top.

boxsky
06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
I saw a neat open trailer with a tarp roof. Nice because it keeps the sun and rain off the equipment.

Another reason for enclosed ever sit on a black seat that is baking in the sun. Can you say ouch.:cry:

Supper Grassy
06-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I have seen the 50/50 trailers On-line its enclosed in the front, and open in the back,
Open give you more versitility to do other things
enclosed are safer on equipment

fiveoboy01
06-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Well, a few things not mentioned...

Open trailers make it easier to fuel your mowers.
Open trailers are lighter.

Enclosed trailers give you a place to go when nature calls:)

I'd think that an enclosed trailer would have more wind drag than an open but not sure on that one.

KS_Grasscutter
06-16-2007, 11:30 PM
I voted open, but now I am starting to think about how much I would like to have a 16' enclosed... Actually, the BEST setup would be both IMO. Have enclosed for your lawn rig, and a open to use for landscaping and tree trimming, etc.

fiveoboy01
06-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Too bad you can't get a soft-sided trailer that's small. Best of both worlds!

http://www.utility-trailer.com/siteart/tautliner.jpg

boxsky
06-17-2007, 01:12 AM
I agree with with drag. However if you are in a populated area, the mpg would be negligble. I drive 1 mile and do 13 1/2 acre lawns. My furthest drive is 20 miles each way for a 5 acre job.

I forgot the nature calls. I've used my enclosed about everyday.

I have an enclosed for lawns and a small open for those times i need to haul mulch, stone, etc... Refueling is easy with the enclosed, I pull up, drop the ramp and reach in with the hose. At the same time the next pump is doing the truck.

RedWingsDet
06-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Like one of the first posts. They both have their places. I also have both. Plus everylandscaper needs a dump trailer.

Supper Grassy
06-17-2007, 08:03 AM
These are nice but i am not sure how practial
http://www.tramptrailers.com/images/tramp-hybrid-trailer.jpg

J&T Kiev
06-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I have an enclosed and two open utilities. With the enclosed my equipment is secure, out of weather and out of sight, I have security, the ability to have storage of my equipment that can stay outside if I desire (saving shop area in my small shop). My enclosed makes a Nice, traveling billboard for advertising. With an enclosed you will have reduced rear visibility, more Trailer weight and more drag, less fuel economy, gas mileage will be reduced from the weight and wind drag.If you have only towed with an open trailer, it will be a different Towing experience, you have to be completely aware of your surroundings, especially backing up.