PDA

View Full Version : gmc w4500..Hmmm......Help

IHI
06-12-2007, 12:15 AM
I found a early/mid 90s cabover w4500 with a flatbed dump. The flatbed dump needs some electrical work in order to work. It has a 4 cylinder diesel with an auto.

Anyways, I would like to know how many of you are running one, and how many mile per gallon you are getting. How many miles should I expect out of it? I believe it has around 130k. Anything to watch out for??

IHI
06-12-2007, 08:12 PM
anyone???help...

Gravel Rat
06-12-2007, 08:26 PM
How much ?

I myself would pass and try find a newer truck or find a Hino and stay away from the GMC/Isuzu. The first problem its got a automatic you want the 5spd also the truck is old.

Keep searching.

Tony Clifton
06-12-2007, 08:32 PM
We run 3 of these type of trucks. What year is it? What are you going to be using it for? These trucks will run forever, I would expect 300k plus miles out of them. The oldest we have is a 95 with about 160k miles.
If you are looking for a dump that you can haul a load in, and pull a tractor through the mountains, you are probably not looking at the right truck. It will do it, but it will be slow.
I have no idea what the problem would be with the 5 speed as indicated from the above post???
As far as mileage is concerned, there are quite a few variables such as terrain and load, but i would budget 8-10 mpg. You could probably get more.

IHI
06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
I believe its a 92 or 95 with a 4cyl diesel. I was hoping that someone would say it would average 18 ish on mpg. Hmmm.... I may just as well get a cummins or powerstroke and keep my dump trailer.

Overall, I'm hoping to decrease the fuel I'm burning/paying for.
I would be using it to haul landscape material/sod/etc...

Thanks for your input