PDA

View Full Version : Finally there!!! A 100% full mowing schedule.

DFW Area Landscaper
06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
I signed two new clients today in the southern part of town and this crew is now booked solid with pure lawn mowing, Monday thru Friday. They are working around 60 to 65 hours per week, M-F, but everyone is making lots of money and things are going well.

First time I've ever had a full mowing schedule. This ought to be fun.

The pita's and skippers are gonna get dropped left a right. Only problem is, I really don't have more than a couple bad apples on this entire route.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

02DURAMAX
06-11-2007, 11:22 PM
Congrats!!!.....wish i had a full Schedule..

Grits
06-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I can only dream of what it must be like. One day......
Congrats!!!

lawnMaster5000
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I too have a full schedule this year and had to add an employee (3 now) to keep up. The problem I ran into with working 65 hours per week (scheduled) is, what do you do when you get 4 days in a row of rain? I had no more overtime hours to work these guys and it was a real PITA to get caught back up.

Since adding the third guy we are back down to about 40 hrs/wk per man and now if we get rain we can work longer on the dry days rather than simply dawn to dusk everyday just to keep up.

jeremyt1998
06-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Hey DFW
how do you schedule your customers. I have software and it gives me an idea of my schedule, but I know theirs a better way.
Do you use a schedule board, computer or ???. With all weekly or biweekly schedules there should be an easy way to schedule; so easily since everyother week repeats itself. I have a lot of customers also and just trying to come up with an EASY way to schedule. :confused:

rodfather
06-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Five 12 or 13 hours days back to back? No way Jose :dizzy:

bohiaa
06-12-2007, 08:11 AM
I signed two new clients today in the southern part of town and this crew is now booked solid with pure lawn mowing, Monday thru Friday. They are working around 60 to 65 hours per week, M-F, but everyone is making lots of money and things are going well.

First time I've ever had a full mowing schedule. This ought to be fun.

The pita's and skippers are gonna get dropped left a right. Only problem is, I really don't have more than a couple bad apples on this entire route.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

HAY DFW..... I moved to the Houston area From Garland, was wondering if you service Garland...the south part....Kingsley at First street....

If so I need your services man......My mothers Grass needs cutting,

DFW Area Landscaper
06-12-2007, 09:45 AM
+++Five 12 or 13 hours days back to back? No way Jose+++

These workers are really tired in the evenings. I may have too much for them when the 100 degree heat starts. I will ask my driver if he wants me to give some of his lawns to the other drivers. He was just exhausted last night. I have so much respect for these guys. They are the best. Because we are on straight commission, they are getting paid really well. And they also realize they'll have no work for 4 months per year. In this business, we have to make hay while the sun is shining.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

nobagger
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Congrats! We filled ours in May but I just cant seem to say no,lol. My goal is to hire 1 more crew next year and I still need about 20 more lawns before I can do that,:dizzy: This last commercial I signed brings us to 50'ish plus a 52 unit condo complex. And we do this all after 3pm M-F and a few hours on Sat.:hammerhead:

Jpocket
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Five 12 or 13 hours days back to back? No way Jose :dizzy:

Thats what I was thinking. Things start to get sloppy after 10hours

Fantasy Lawns
06-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I have found that the break even or what ever one wishes to call it ...with employees & overtime is 48 hours .... after that it's cost effective to hire another worker n get the hours down ... at the OT eats into what it cost to have another worker

But you have that pay by yard pay thing ....correct ....something like that from what I remember past reading

I must agree with Rod thou .... after couple of those 10 days .... they drop like flies

GL with it thou

unit28
06-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I used to run 3 crews in NE TX.
That's the best thing to do, running all day like that
keeps 'em in the mower seat.

Once you get off the mower, the seat heats up and you can't get 'em back on it. The weedeater is burning your trigger arm, and the blower feels like a ton o' bricks. The truck will give you 2nd degree burns when you reach over to grab the water jug...
GOD BLESS TEXAS:)

rodfather
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Things start to get sloppy after 10hours

actually 9 depending on the heat and humidity..that is why all of my crews do <40 a week.

sildoc
06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
actually 9 depending on the heat and humidity..that is why all of my crews do <40 a week.

Im with you rod 8-9 hrs a day is max. I will hire a part timer to help keep me up if I need to go over that. Brain fry when it is 90+ degrees and 12 hr days.

now I am working on a couple of bids that we can cut all night for 1 day a week. Might work like a dream. It is all lighted and with lights on the mower it might be a godsend when the heat really hits. If that happens I can add the 5 other commercial accounts that have no time restrictions on them. and maybe make it two nights a week.

Howard Roark
06-14-2007, 12:00 AM
People in the South are used to the hot weather and far more conditioned to work longer hours in the extreme heat than people in the Northeast and Northwest.

In other words, our 11-12 hours is worth your 8-9. :drinkup:

HOOLIE
06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
A lot of Hispanic workers don't have the same priorities as most of us...no family here, just work work work. No reason for them to call it quits if there's an extra dollar to be made. 40 hours is like halftime for them. 60+ hours is what many of them like.

Del9175
06-14-2007, 06:04 PM
Congrats on the accomplishment. It would seem that this route was full quite some time ago if its taking 60 plus hours a week to complete. But heck if your happy and their happy then I'm happy for ya.

Fantasy Lawns
06-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Been doing this fore +20 years .... appreciate that fore what it is ... but it is what it is .... old school

NO one gets "use' to +10 days

I've pushed snow & cut grass in VA .... cut trees in Conn .... cleaned sewage ponds in AZ .... and finally work'n in FL last 15 years

Done my share of 10 hr days .... HATED those bosses .... I Refuse to put my guys thru that BS

I might be use to the heat (90 @9am) .... don't mean ya can't fall out

johnnywill08
06-14-2007, 09:04 PM
congrats!!! how many years did it take and what's your total ## of lawns?

F.S Lawn Care
06-14-2007, 09:05 PM
First off, I doubt that most employees go balls to the walls in a 12 hour day, especially when boss isn't there to keep an eye on them. I'm finally off school and I had to play catchup today cause of the rain earlier in the week. One of my first 12 hour days, and truthfully, it wasn't that bad as long as you've got someone with you instead of going solo all day, which sucks. And by the way, this is absolutely nothing to construction in the 100 degree weather. Pushing wheelbarrows full of concrete all day and digging foundations is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I lost nearly 20 pounds last summer and ate more than I ever did. Dont get me wrong though mowing is very tedious.

Bama Mower
06-15-2007, 12:46 AM
I too have a full schedule this year and had to add an employee (3 now) to keep up. The problem I ran into with working 65 hours per week (scheduled) is, what do you do when you get 4 days in a row of rain? I had no more overtime hours to work these guys and it was a real PITA to get caught back up.

Since adding the third guy we are back down to about 40 hrs/wk per man and now if we get rain we can work longer on the dry days rather than simply dawn to dusk everyday just to keep up.

Are you talking about pouring down rain or just a little drizzle? I dont mind cutting in a lil bit of rain so if its possible i work in the rain. But we havent seen that much rain here lately

nobagger
06-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Are you talking about pouring down rain or just a little drizzle? I dont mind cutting in a lil bit of rain so if its possible i work in the rain. But we havent seen that much rain here lately

No rain hear as well, we're mowin' straw!