PDA

View Full Version : sprayer advice

hossmp
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Hello. I was looking for some advice and possible suggestions if available. I have searched around a bit on this part of the forum and was still a bit unsure. I have a 8 acre property that my family owns. I wanted to purchase a sprayer possibly one that is towable to spray for clover and various weeds. In addition we have two large stone lots that we use to park tractor trailers and we would apply roundup a few times a year to keep the weeds down. I have seen the ones from norther, agrifab and fimco. Which one would you guys recomend in terms of quality? We currently have large sprayers with 60 ft boom but that manufacture doenst deal with anything this small. We dont intend to use the sprayer commercially either. I know alot of what I have read states you cant tow a sprayer when used commercially which i wasnt aware of but it fits our application best. Please any insight would be greatly appreciated.

dwost
06-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd check out the units from Fimco. I have one of the small 15 gal units that I picked up at Tractor Supply that does a great job on my yard. If you have that much acreage I'd get one of their big units. They are decent quality and if you are only using it periodically it should last you quite awhile.

turfmasters.c.
06-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Im cosidering buying a Zspray unit and untill Know weve been dragging hoses with the lesco space saver 200g tanks were not looking to completly get rid of the tanks b/c they have their place (shrubb treatments) I come from a farming background and have been in the lawn biz for 12 years and for 12 years ive been trying to get back to a system with a boom involved i just feel it is more effective and efficiant anyone with experiance with a z spray with advice pros or cons would be greatly appreciated

RigglePLC
06-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Lesco version (12 volt, 25 gallon, no wheels) costs about $250.
Home Depot had towable sprayer with small wheels at about $319. 12 volt, 25 gallon. Short boom. Fimco, I think.

RigglePLC
06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
And Turfmaster,
I talked to an LCO today who was using a Z-Spray. Very happy with it. However, he mentioned that it originally had a very short boom with 3 nozzles--they built a longer boom--about 6 feet--more nozzles--with breakaway/ foldup hinges. They added an extra sprayer switch that they could reach with one finger in addition to foot control. They got an extra tank for Drive or Q4 spot treatments with 25 foot hose, (and an extra pump for same.) Tires wore out quick. They cut some of the fins short on impellor to improve pattern.

turfmasters.c.
06-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks rigleplc i appreciate the help

turfmasters.c.
06-13-2007, 09:06 PM
any problems with burn or poor application of herbicides with the z spray

gregory
06-13-2007, 09:22 PM
I have looked into a z spray from my search i have not seen anything bad said about the z spray now the perma green mag some have said it doesn't spray very well.i even talked to perma green about it and they told me there are some things that you can't spray thru the mag b/c it doesn't put out enough product

hossmp
06-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of the replies on this. I have spent the past few evenings really reading over some of the different posts on sprayers. I have a general question that you may be able to clear up for me. I am from a farming background and I do a great deal of mowing on different properties we actually own. I have always been under the impression that its better to "tow" the sprayer so you dont run in the treated area immediate afterwards. Is there some sort of laws out there that prohibit a commercial applicator, such as most of the people on this part of the site, from building a smaller version of a ag sprayer? We have a very nice towable we use on our crops and I think it could be downsized to your application and was suprised when the manufacturers didnt offer it.