PDA

View Full Version : Soil Testing

gregory
06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
i took some soil samples to teh local extenision office and all they test for is ph levels.i got the report back and all come in around 8.5 on the ph level.do i need to add something to this b/c its kinda of high? i am in southwest florida and have st augstine grass..

timturf
06-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Most soil test give recommendations!

Oh wherew , oh where is RIC when you need him!

ampeg76
06-12-2007, 01:33 PM
i would agree, RIC will give the info, then some!

all i can say is st. augustine likes the soil slightly acidic, with your high pH a sulfur application might be needed to lower it:)

by "might" i mean you could use fertilizers with forms of sulfur coating or ammonium sulfate to slowly lower it!

gregory
06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
tks guys maybe ric will stop by and give me some advice..

RAlmaroad
06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Greg: Most extention agents will ask: "For what type of grass are you testing"
PH for St. Augustine should be around 6 to 6.5 even a bit more. However, your're are going to have to amend the soil.Probably because of the calcium from the shell life from the ocean after many thousands of years. 8.5 is close to borax and milk of magnesia scale. I'd consult the agent again on how to acidify it . But everyone is right: Let's wait for Ric--our guru on St. Augustine.
Roy

Ric
06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Gentlemen

I thank you all for the vote of confident. However may I remind you all of the Definition of Expert. X is an unknown Quanity and a Pert is a Drip under pressure.

gregory

I might be better able to help you if I know which town you live in here in South West Florida.

Our calcareous sandy soil is famous for it's high pH and 8.5 is not the normal high pH that most of coastal S.W. Florida has. 0-0-0-90 is in fact elemental Sulfur mixed with 10% Bentonite. Bentonite is a clay substances that helps to hold the sulfur from leaching. Bentonite is used around well heads to keep them in place since it will harden and trap water. 0-0-0-90 is sold by Southern Agriculture out of Palmetto Fla. just south of Tampa as "Soil Acidifier". Most nurseries can order it for you or if you are close enough I can get it for you at about $ 10 a 40 lb bag and still make some beer money. 10 pounds of 0-0-0-90 per thousand sq ft will lower pH one point in 30 days. It will not last and must be re applied several times during the year. Acid forming Fertilizer should also be used to control pH and of course if you are close enough I still do Lawn Fert & Squirt, such slower than I used too now at my age I might add.

timturf
06-13-2007, 03:11 PM
Gentlemen

I thank you all for the vote of confident. However may I remind you all of the Definition of Expert. X is an unknown Quanity and a Pert is a Drip under pressure.

gregory

I might be better able to help you if I know which town you live in here in South West Florida.

Our calcareous sandy soil is famous for it's high pH and 8.5 is not the normal high pH that most of coastal S.W. Florida has. 0-0-0-90 is in fact elemental Sulfur mixed with 10% Bentonite. Bentonite is a clay substances that helps to hold the sulfur from leaching. Bentonite is used around well heads to keep them in place since it will harden and trap water. 0-0-0-90 is sold by Southern Agriculture out of Palmetto Fla. just south of Tampa as "Soil Acidifier". Most nurseries can order it for you or if you are close enough I can get it for you at about $ 10 a 40 lb bag and still make some beer money. 10 pounds of 0-0-0-90 per thousand sq ft will lower pH one point in 30 days. It will not last and must be re applied several times during the year. Acid forming Fertilizer should also be used to control pH and of course if you are close enough I still do Lawn Fert & Squirt, such slower than I used too now at my age I might add.

However may I remind you all of the Definition of Expert. X is an unknown Quanity

I just ask for Ric input, where did I say he was an expert under anybody's definition (sp)

gregory
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
tks for stopping by ric,i live in lehigh which is east of fort myers..i have 39k sq ft of yard so i would need what 390 lbs right?i would need 10bags right..do you think the ph is to high and it needs to be lowered or could i just leave it alone for right now...the yard look like crap right now mainly b/c i have root rot i am getting that taken care of right now i sprayed t-strom from lesco 2 weekends ago ..i installed a fertigation system a few months back and i am not impressed with the system ..i know thats to far for you to drive to spray but if you could hep me out on here i would appreciate that..tks

Ric
06-13-2007, 04:11 PM
tks for stopping by ric,i live in lehigh which is east of fort myers..i have 39k sq ft of yard so i would need what 390 lbs right?i would need 10bags right..do you think the ph is to high and it needs to be lowered or could i just leave it alone for right now...the yard look like crap right now mainly b/c i have root rot i am getting that taken care of right now i sprayed t-strom from lesco 2 weekends ago ..i installed a fertigation system a few months back and i am not impressed with the system ..i know thats to far for you to drive to spray but if you could hep me out on here i would appreciate that..tks

Gregory

I go to Edison college every Monday night and must be there by 5:30 PM I leave still in daylight at approx 6:30 PM. after my seminar. I could stop by and look at your yard for a fee. Sorry I feel my knowledge is worth something if not my travel time. I will also be at the Lee County Extension service on Thursday the 21th from 8:00 am to approx 12:30 PM. and could meet with you after. $ 50 cash would get you a good hour of Q&A on any thing in your yard and a program of what and when to apply.

When you say you have root rot, do mean "Take All Patch" (Gaeumannomyes graminis, var graminis). If so I can understand why your turf looks like crap. In the early morning dew do you see webs growing on top of your turf that are in fact the Mycaela of the Take All Patch organism Gg,g???? Who diagnosed this and who is treating it. Yes you are too far for me to treat your yard. Travel time alone would be more than you wanted to pay.

gregory
06-13-2007, 04:24 PM
that sounds good. can you email me or give me your email addy...i don't mind paying a fee thats okay i feel the same way for what i do ..my time and knowledge is worth something..gregory1420@yahoo.com

Ric
06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
However may I remind you all of the Definition of Expert. X is an unknown Quanity

I just ask for Ric input, where did I say he was an expert under anybody's definition (sp)

Tim

You might not of called me an Expert and I don't consider my self one either. But in an other thread RAlmaroad ask for my expertise in the soil testing thread, that is how I got here. Get over it, if I stepped on your toes.

RAlmaroad
06-13-2007, 07:51 PM
I stand by my opinion of you Ric--Expert with expertise in St. Augustine. The help you gave Greg then to go there and take a look, which was out or your way, solidifies my opinion even more. Thanks Ric for your expert advise to me on other matters. Roy

Lawn Works
06-13-2007, 08:27 PM
St. Aug needs to be 6.3 - 7.8 in S.C. use lime to raise ph and sulfur to lower. :walking:

timturf
06-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Tim

You might not of called me an Expert and I don't consider my self one either. But in an other thread RAlmaroad ask for my expertise in the soil testing thread, that is how I got here. Get over it, if I stepped on your toes.

Hey expert,
No toes stepped on, just having a little fun with you.

I did ask where were you, didn't I?

Now give him is money worth!